Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can someone ID the SBC camshaft for me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

This was taken out of a 400. I couldn’t find anything by these numbers with a Google search, but I always have bad luck searching on the interwebs. A quickie measurement with my caliper shows about .475 lift at the valve with a 1.5 rocker. Thanks BFB380C6-529D-4C9A-8B28-0736CCC2A633.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Beuller....Bueller.....Bueller.......

3. ...where's Squirrel?

4. squirrel

squirrel

sleeping in.

but mostly I don't reply to threads where I don't have a clue what the answer might be.

I also don't re use old camshafts, unless I know for sure what they are, and where they've been all this time.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

5. indyjps

indyjps

.475 lift, is this a hyd lifter. Im not seeing that its anything special that Id risk it in a new build. If you liked the way it ran and know the history you may take the chance, but sbc hyd lift cams are about as cheap as it gets to buy one you know the specs.

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Well I'm not re-using it as it has a flat lobe. But I would like to know what the actual grind is. This is a buddies motor that was fresh/new and was supposed to have all these particular parts in it, but so far I've yet to find a single thing correct about what they told him other than its a 400.

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure the top numbers are lobe master numbers. Intake than exhaust. H-8... hydraulic ground on a 108? Think the E looking mark is two C's. Crane Cams...Comp Cams??? Will look in some old books when I get home.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm replacing the bad cam with a Hyd Roller, this grind or something pretty similar. I pretty much gave up on flat tappet stuff especially in SBC's it is not worth the risk of junking a motor due to a flat lobe/lobes
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl110325-10/overview/make/chevrolet.

Deuces likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Nice choice.
    Many of the older street performance cam grinds are set up to make the best of lazy smog heads. .475 lift is street perf range, depending on duration, generally falls into mild stall or cheat by with out one. I dont want to run the old grinds personally. I googled around too and havent been able to find any info on the old cam.

10. squirrel

squirrel

if so, then this is the lobe profiles from the Comp Cams catalog

cam.jpg

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe the hyd. roller cams are about 3X the price of a flat tappet. That's quite a bit of money because someone can't break in a new cam. Education is key.

Pat

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.