Register now to get rid of these ads!

can someone check my new ride out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Yeah, thanks mate. I am just gutted at the moment. Not much else to add. I hope the next time I get back on here the news will be better.

2. uc4me

uc4me

that sucks, I had to bail on the sale(he that rhymes) of my 55 f-100 to one of your countrymen because the frame VIN and the tag on the glovebox door (which the truck was registered with) did not match, even though I could provde proof that each VIN was clean. Down under rules suck...

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. robleticia

robleticia

Yeah, that sucks!

4. Too bad it's not working out. It just means that the car wasn't meant for you. Plus you can look at this as a learning experience. You now know what to expect from the gimps that control the importation of cars into Oz.
    Now just look for a car that's original and unmolested and you'll have a clean canvas that you can work on yourself.

5. 21tat

21tat

I like the car. Did the girl in the striped socks come with it? Looks like fun to me!

6. Igosplut

Igosplut

I'm sure it's a big letdown, Better luck with the next car...

Maybe you can find a seller that will understand the hassles of importation and can wait it out...

7. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Well you live you learn. I hate it for you. Maybe I'll head over there and see if he wants to give it to me, then I'll hold onto it for ya!

8. Sounds like a plan, Jim :) Thanks for all your efforts, too, by the way.

9. RichG

RichG

Sorry it turned out like this, but it might be a blessing for you... better to lose a little than to have to either pay to ship it back after you paid for it, or have it crushed.

As for the clowns who didn't bother to try and figure out what your intentions of this thread were, this pics for you:

[​IMG]

10. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

thepolecat

Thanks for helping this guy,

Thats the way to step up and help out another rodder....

11. jimbob

jimbob

I really think there's more to this than just the build plate mate, Chopped cars are a big NO on the DOTARS list of mods, and well, that thing is really chopped.

I'd be looking for a real good solid stocker mate.

12. Cub8556

Cub8556

Just read the whole thread. Can't believe the hoops you gotta jump through to get the car imported. Good luck to ya man. Car looks great, but if it wasn't meant to be theres plenty more Detroit iron around.

13. sorry to hear the bad news mate:(

14. Lost Creep

Lost Creep
    from Indiana

big hugh ness,

I admire your determination and there seems to be no doubt as to your passion to own a cool old American car......

plus you strike me as a fun kind of a motorhead to hang out with.....

how could anyone here not be rootin' for you?! ......best of luck big hugh!

Eddie

15. Thanks Eddie. In fact, thanks to everyone. You have all been really supportive over all this, and to know you've been behind me just makes the whole thing a little less traumatic. I haven't responded to everyone, but I am humbled by your well wishes. Let see what next week brings...

16. 8inarow

8inarow
    from Virginia

Why not come to Hershey or Carlisle or Charlotte? Lots of great cars, car stuff and good people.

17. RichG

RichG

I didn't realize that those cities were in Australia! I never was very good at geography...

18. rustbuild

rustbuild
    from oklahoma

I am sorry for the bad luck,Get a visa, pack your bags,And you can buy american cars for a grand allday long in america!See you soon;)

19. bjinatj

bjinatj

Sorry things are not going as planned buddy. I hate to see this because you seemed to have such a passion for the car..

20. Well, guys, they have knocked me back, and this is their official reason.
    They told me without a build plate they are unable to process the car.

This has massive implications for anyone importing their car into Australia. Has anyone had their car approved without a build plate?
    If the Aust Govt depts are going to use this as a reason for not allowing cars to be brought in, then this has to be explicitly stated in their documentation, which I don't believe it is.
    Shit, I am angry about this.
    I've lost all my money, and they haven't provided me with a satisfactory explanation only this.

• Please provide a clear photo of the built plate. Until you can provide the photo of the plate we are unable to proceed with your application.

Fellas, I really dont know what to do. Since I have already told them it doesnt have a build plate, I guess they would smell a rat if one suddenly appeared?

Sad to say it, guys, but it's game over for me :mad:

21. Zykotec

Zykotec

Damn sad story. Had you allready paid for the car? If so, when it's being relisted won't you get your money, or some of it back?
    As I live in Norway we have some similar laws here, and I know I would have to be careful importing a car from the states, or britain, because they have much more relaxed registration rules over there, so I understand your grief.
    On the other hand, we can import modified cars ,as long as the modifications are considered legal in the country we import them from, and can be proved to have been done properly/or can be modified to follow Norwegian rules after it's been imported. (worst case scenario, it can still be imported as a 'parts car'. )
    At least I hope this won't make you give up you passion, and maybe import a 'stock' car and modify it yourself later. :)
    Best of luck.

22. Thanks mate. I could ask the seller whether he was prepared to refund my deposit, though, since it has been an epic saga, I dont feel much like doing that. Nobody's fault...well, actually, I'll blame the Aust. Govt's appalling import laws, which are very unclear to me. Anyway, no point raving over it, just have to get started again. This time, a little wiser. If there is one positive out of this, it's all the good vibes I've received from the guys on this website.

23. ratfink56

ratfink56

Sure sorry to read of your troubles. Why can't we just be allowed to live?
    I can offer to look at any cars in my area that interest you in the future.
    I'm in northwest Arkansas and will travel a couple hundred miles to look at an old car.
    Good luck to you.

24. dannyego

dannyego

Pardon my ignorance but what's a build plate?

25. Thanks mate. That is very kind of you.
    I agree. There are just too many poobars wanting to spoil our fun.
    No matter. If you spot a half decent sled in your travels, I'm all ears. Bye 4 now.
    Peter.

26. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Man that is a bummer. You have such a positive attitude and that combined with some new knowledge of the regulations something will work out for you in the future. Keep looking you will get another ride soon I am sure. Sorry it has been a costly adventure for you.

27. Willy301

Willy301

It is a piece of steel usually riveted to the fire wall or inside a door that has the basic specs of a car embossed in it. It often is what you hear people say when they decode the numbers...as it has the codes that designate SS or RS or Engine, Suspension package....etc

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

i fuckin hate the government....any fuckin government.
    where i live no modification is allowed period, every mod should be listedon the car slips, but of course, the dmv wont allow shit, every thing needs to be approved by the factory. for example, i wanna put 14" wheels w/ 175/80 tires on my ?68? ford that has 155/80/13 written on the papers, the only way our dmv approves it is if Ford realease a document where it states that is safe to do so, but because from the 30s till all the 70s cars wherent tested w/ anything that wasnt production specs it will never happen.
    Every hotrodder, lowrider, cruiser is basically rollin outlaw and can have the car inpounded if the cop wanna give you a hard time. Ricers too, but because some pro shops have insiders at the dmv some tuner is runnin on 20s/spoilers/airbags legally, but most dont, and like it or not, they are car enthusiasts too, andi find this disgusting. anti democratic to say the least.
    W/ american cars is easier cause cops donr know them and you can try bullshit your way around, but its still dangerous.
    Freedom is dead, long live outlaws.

Sorry for the rant, but maybe you will feel better now that you know that there are countries w/ way stricter laws than yours.
    Nick over.

29. dannyego

dannyego

So is it missing the vin tag or data plate?

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Peter,
    Its a bummer that you have to fight the bureaucracy like that. If you're still in the market for a sled you might check out a thread here on the HAMB called " my 54 Ford build". I don't know if the car is still for sale but you can see by reading the thread it is well built and pretty cool at that. Just a thought.
    By the way, If you happen to see something in Hawaii that you find interesting I'm sure someone here will be happy to check it out for you. I'm on Oahu and there are other HAMBers on the other islands. Just PM me and we can roll from there. Eli