Register now to get rid of these ads!

can someone check my new ride out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Verdict is very positive. Cannot describe the size of the big thanks I have to give everyone. You couldn't fit my biggest thanks on a road train.

Now we play the waiting game with the Dept of Infrastructure* in Canberra, Aust. Since it's Easter, everything shuts down until Wednesday here. The import request to DOTARS* was lodged a few days ago. Not expected to hear from them for a few weeks. (takes 15 working days) These cats are going to be tough, no doubt. If we get thru this, then it's just the comparatively simple task of getting her brought over.

Hey, I have to apologise as well, for "stealing" one of your gorgeous cars from its birthplace. Fact is, most Aussies love Americans and we love American cars, though having said that, Oprah was pretty hard to take :) You can keep her over there in future. Lol!

2. good to hear mate keep us posted

3. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

X2. Good man.

E-thuggin, I never heard that one before, that's funny shit. Sure hits the nail on the head.

Hope everything works out well, Big Hugh.

4. Dudes, this is the latest
    The car is currently being assessed for import approval thru the Dept of Infrastructure. They were right on time with a response after fifteen working days, exactly as they promised. However, all is not good. They asked to see the build plate of the car. Unfortunately, the current owner told me the build plate is no longer on the car. I contacted said Dept. and was told by a guy on the phone that he felt (and he stressed he was not the one making the decision) that shit basically happens and stuff like build plates do go missing. I got the feeling from him that it wasn't an automatic "no" and just send them a letter saying it aint there. Not much more I can do. Will keep you posted.

5. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I wouldn't normally do this , but since you are such a smart ass, your stupid little quote should read " smarter than I ", not " smarter then me".

Now you are a little smarter.

6. Igosplut

Igosplut

Just read this whole thread, I wish you all the luck in the world. Refreshing to read about such enthusiasm and passion for a car...

7. Thanks matey! I love American Iron. Always have, always will :)
    Gettin' a bit edgy over the results of this import, I have to tell you... Still waiting....

8. captmullette

captmullette

amen brother, some people live to bitch..

9. robleticia

robleticia

big hugh ness, after you get your car, can you change your acatar to a picture of it? That cat is freaking me out! Almost as bad as Jake and his picture of Oprah! Good luck bro, fingers are crossed!

10. Ya done good, mate!!

11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

What enthusiasm for taking a long shot to actually get the car. I really hope this goes well for you and before long are riding around in your "machine".

I subscribed to keep updated and anticipate that this will all turn out well for you. Great of you guys to help out, there really are good folks out there.

12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

So what happened, did you go and see it? The suspense is killing me.:eek:

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Damn, you Aussie guys have some hard core import laws...sheesh!

14. Just came across this thread today. Looks like a fun ride!

Although my recent purchase wasn't an international shipping deal, the logistics of it all, and getting to an agreed upon method of funds transfer, etc, about wore me out. Can't imagine the pins and needles you are on with this purchase.

Wish you well with getting it shipped over to you.

15. Thanks again, fellas. Great bunch of guys and a great website as well!
    Unfortunately another week has gone past without so much as a hint as to which direction the govt is going to take with this. Last message had to do with them asking for a build plate. This is the exact message.:

"In order to process your Application for a Motor Vehicle Approval, I require the information listed below.

• Please provide a photo of your built plate fitted to the 1950 Desoto ‘ Super ‘ Kustom via email to [email protected] "

Its odd that they have called it a De Soto....I have since rung them a couple of times but got the feeling the last time that I have to back off otherwise they will put my application on the bottom of the pile... I still have the sound of that nagging public servant woman's voice rattling in my ear drums....scary stuff!

The current owner of the car has been more than understanding, but even he is getting tired of the red tape, and that's fair enuff. I think we're gonna give it another week before admitting defeat and he considers relisting it. I hope they pull their finger out...I am busting for this car, dudes.

16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Good Luck, but I feel all is lost in the red tape. :mad:

17. bjinatj

bjinatj

I subscribed for the same reason..

I just wish we all had the passion for an automobile that this gentleman has. It is a lot better than sitting an a recliner e-bashing.. Good luck with the car buddy!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  18. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

and i bitch when i have to wait at the dmv:eek:..... hats off to you aussies, you have to work harder to get the car than than some people do to build it. keep with it dude

19. Willy301

Willy301

Hey, I have to apologise as well, for "stealing" one of your gorgeous cars from its birthplace. Fact is, most Aussies love Americans and we love American cars, though having said that, Oprah was pretty hard to take :) You can keep her over there in future. Lol![/QUOTE]

We give you the car freely but you have to take Oprah too, or send her to some other country in need of her... I bid you luck on getting the car through and sitting in your garage...

20. There is a guy that can make new "build plates" if the it's the body tag that's attached to the firewall. I needed a new one made and it looked perfect. I think it ran me about $150 back about 5-6 years ago.
    Is it something like this?
    [​IMG]
    This is just an original I found on the net.

21. Smokey2

Smokey2

Ride LQQKS OK fer "tha $$$..........
    BUT, I'd rather lose a "Thousand", Against 13 of'em !!!

I did'nt join the HAMB "Ass Hole Group",
    Sometimes, IT Don't Pay, To Advertise......................... Smoke' KOOL!

22. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

hey i hope everything works out for you i really do co's when you get that bug its hard to let it go. It's getting even tougher here in the UK "The Man" justs wants to spoil your fun.

The dudes who are bashing the E-bay buyers are the reason why nobody trusts each other cant believe some of the comments on this thread:(

Good luck again

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  23. Times 2.
    There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful guys here on the HAMB. There are also, unfortunately, some key-board bullies that can't wait to piss on someone's parade.
    Fortunately, there are far more of the former.

24. madhman

madhman

I've been on both sides of this fence before and have learned the hard way. I've bought before I figured out shipping and took it in the chute, I've also sold to guys who didn't think to figure out how to get it home before and lost the sale. It's really frustrating to lose the sale and spend all the lost time dealing with someone who backs out of a deal no matter what the reason! I really hope for both your sakes it works out.

If not- lesson learned I guess......

25. Yep, that's the critter.
    Unfortunately, another week has gone by without a response from the Govt. If only these public servants would get off their asses once in a while and process stuff. I think the only time these folks get off their ass is to massage their cheeks on account of them going all pins and needles, and then they sit back down again...Tell you what, I'd like to stick more than a pin up their ass...
    Heck, that didn't come out right....

26. robleticia

robleticia

That cat is still freaking me out! HAHA! Still hoping the best for ya!

27. Sounds like govts are the same no matter where you go. There have been times that I'd wanted to kick some some of those a-holes in ass so hard that they would smile shoelaces.
    Anyway if you need a guy who can make one for you, PM me and I'll pass on the info to you. I'm not sure if it's OK to just post his info in the forum.
    Another thing you could try is to see if someone has a spare original tag from a similar car like yours. It's not like the tag has an actual serial number used for titles.

28. Yeah, that's why I can't figure out what the hold up is. It's just an identification tag as far as I know. If they get back to me and stipulate (for some whacky reason) that it must have a plate on it, I'll be giving you a shout! Thanks heaps, guys. Keep on smilin' (shoelaces) Lol!

29. Well, things are going from plain old shit to completely F****d up. The current owner has decided to relist the car. I don't blame him one little bit. He's been a champion throughout all this, but the guy wants his cash and I was actually the one who said it might be best for him if he relists on account of how long these government turkeys are taking. Its Friday arvo here and I am not going to get a response now at least until next week. I guess if no one bids on the car, I get another week...

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  30. Just read the entire thread , all I'll say is I wish you the very best of luck - but I wont hold my breaath for ya cobber . We've been hearing some real horror stories about how our mates over the ditch have been getting shafted by the queer aussie import laws .