Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I use Ford tie rod ends on Chevy steering arms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I've got a 51 Chevy I beam axle I'm trying to set up with cross steering. I'm using the stock lower arms with the tie rod at the rear. I cut the side steer drag link arm off the driver's side arm and am I'm using a 55-57 Chevy car steering arm bolted to the top of the passenger spindle. I'd like to use early Ford tie rods and 7/8 DOM tube for my tie rod and drag link.

drag link.JPG

The tapered stud on the Ford tie rods is larger than Chevy tie rods. I'd like to open Chevy steering arms by using a 7 degree reamer and opening up the hole. Is there enough "meat" on the end of the Chevy arms for a bigger hole? The Ford steering arm ends seem to be a little bigger (more metal) in that area. Maybe I'm just over concerned and it's not enough of a difference. Anyone done this?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I did it this very way using the steering arms that came with the axle and spindles. Pretty sure it was the same vintage of axle, too. Used it on a roadster I built in the 80's. Worked fine for me.

3. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear.

4. 24riverview

24riverview

Did the same to my 39 Chevy steering arms 37 years ago, still using them.

5. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

37 years is pretty good proof it won't be a problem. Guess you open up the hole just enough to get on a castle and cotter pin, thanks.