Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I use different bolt patterns?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

The front end that I bought has a 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern and the rear end is a Ford 9" out of an early Bronco with the 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern. I haven't bought my wheels and tires yet and I am wondering what if any would be the short fall of buying the rear wheels to match the 5 1/2 bolt pattern and the fronts to match the 4 1/2 pattern. The rear wheels will be wider than the front wheels anyway so you can't rotate them. I just don't want to have to buy new axles and I have heard mixed opinions about drilling the old axles to a 4 1/2 pattern.

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is done all the time.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

plenty of people have been doing it that way for years..as you said the fronts wont be a candidate for use in the rear and likewise for the rears to the front so it really wont matter unless your pickey that way

4. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Thats what I figured, I have just seen so many threads about drilling axles to the smaller bolt pattern so I thought maybe there was some technical reason for it other than already having wheels with that bolt pattern.

5. the only thing to think about is a possible spare tire ......

6. Well, the only problem is finding a unilug rim for a spare with those two patterns on it will be a pain in the ass. If it's a T-bucket or something that you don't really have room to carry a spare, then that doesn't matter. Personally, though, I don't like to drive around and chance that I'll get stuck somewhere, I've had a few blowouts over the years and just hopped out and changed them. Can be done and on my way before AAA would get to me.

7. rschilp

rschilp

Sounds like we should do some trading.

I've got a 5 on 5.5 front and a 5 on 4.5 early 9" rear. I have 5 on 5.5 wheels that I want to run.

Shame you're so far away.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

I had the same exact problem. I had my axles redrilled and bought new brake drums and had them drilled at the same time to match. It cost me about $70.00 with new studs.

[​IMG]

9. Fenders

Fenders

What is a "spare tire" ....?

10. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Yeah I didnt really think about the spare tire thing. Most of my driving will be around town but I do want to take some road trips to Denver and into Utah maybe drilling is the way to go. RS too bad you are so far away anyone in Colorado have the same problem as RS.

11. F&J

F&J

..and where to store it on most early rods.:confused:

12. When I was much younger wouldn't have considered not having a spare. Tires were pretty much junk and something you looked over carefully. Nowadays tires last practically forever. There are some multiple pattern wheels out there, tow truck drivers often carry some. Check with a wheel supplier, or have an aluminum wheel with a large flange drilled to suit.

13. roundvalley

roundvalley

Carried a can of Fix a Flat for 30 years and never used it.

14. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Fix-a-flat does take up less room than a spare especially in a model a trunk with a Z'ed rear end.