Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I remove the spacer between my blower & carbs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32blownhemi, Jan 24, 2018.

1. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Please forget the Mr Gasket air cleaner. Screams "POSER!!!". Hate them.

Maybe you can't get everything you want. You want spacers under the valve covers to make it look bigger and badder but you don't want it to stick thru the hood? Why is one OK but not the other? How does it actually run? Is it drivable the way it is?

To me, it you must have a scoop the Hilborn style would look much better.

JMO,
    SPark

swade41 likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or Enderle.
    20160316_193533.jpg

sdluck and mad mikey like this.
  3. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I'm pretty sure that's a Chevy distributor adapted to the hemi with a spacer. Get a distributor for a hemi and you will clear your blower.

4. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Whoops, I crossed a line... Chevy distributor? Ah, thank you. I'll check up on that... An original 392 oil pan would. I would have had to shorten it too... It runs great but heats up on hot days. Think I need to go to a pull fan rather that push... Donavan valve covers? I think they are ugly lol...

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim had that problem and solved it, had a one piece aluminum hood made.

Pat

6. Donovan, O'Brian truckers.
    There are others and HHH they are all massive compared to stockers for your "look"

This is dragster in case anyone was wondering
    image.jpeg
    And this is a street car in case anyone is wondering
    A TBucket I think
    image.jpeg

mad mikey likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that, and I thought my work was done here!

gimpyshotrods and mad mikey like this.
  8. You would think but there are 2 very lengthy (50+pages) threads that are running efi here.
    Alky Diggers in Nashville can convert mechanical to efi and also has some in stock.
    p.s. that fake injector will cheapen up your engine drastically

gimpyshotrods and mad mikey like this.
  9. Chop and Channel the Air Cleaner and you'll be good to go.

10. Yeah - but the minute you start thinking about offset distributors, then you need a firewall that gives the "offset" someplace to go. My bet - he won't have room for it.

11. Please don't put that fake injector on the car - they're totally POSER material.

If you want to run a MFI hat injector, than the only way is to convert the whole fuel system over to EFI - and while you're at it, might as well ditch the distributor and go CNP (coil near plug) - solves your distributor clearance and location problem.

I'm right in the middle of designing/building a system to do exactly that for a blown 392. The most important thing to note is that it takes a LOT of money, time, patience to do it correctly -- by the time you buy all the crap you need, re-plumb the whole car (all the way to/from the tank) - you're talking North of $7500 - probably closer to $10,000.

BUT, this is really the only/best way to run a hat injector on the street. For your situation, I'd run a Holley HP ECU. The location/quantity and style of the EFI injectors will be based on which HAT injector and how "period correct" you want the injector to look. The wiring is a huge and ugly mess - just a TON of crap to work into the engine compartment and a lot of screwing around to attempt to hide as much as possible. It is not a job for somebody who thinks they'll "do it in a weekend" - not going to happen.

Anyway - if those numbers don't scare you off, feel free to drop me a PM. Alky Digger (Mike) is a good dude - just make sure you have the right size wallet before you jump off this diving board (and time to get things sorted out . . . and patience for things like dyno tuning, etc).

Best of luck,
    D

12. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

13. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Thanks for all the replies! I'm convinced, Mr Gasket is a no-go... An offset distributor would have to be inside the car, no room... I'll contact Mike when I get the bucks! Bill

14. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

Mickey Thompson supercharger manifold. Runs x4 yh carters sideways. Sure does have the water buffalo look but would solve your problems. Someone on evil bay is re-popping them for around 1200 clams if my mind serves me correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Rocket-Boy

Rocket-Boy

s-l400.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am totally being lazy here.... But... Are Cragar manifolds still being produced for the Gen 1 Hemi's? If I get yelled at for not looking it up on the web, I get it... But I am watching the rug rats today. 5 minutes on phone = something broken in the house.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. Fordors

Fordors

I don’t think M/T ever actually had that as a catalog item. Pontiac looked to Mickey for “ink”, they back doored what he did with cars, parts and engineering and in return his speed attempts, etc. generated magazine articles. Thompson was to Pontiac what Yunick was to Chevrolet, and in fact at one time Smokey was on Pontiac’s payroll too.
    That manifold was on a Pontiac show car, I think it was the X300 (?), a car that leaked out some of the Grand Prix styling to gauge public reaction.

19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

It sure looks awesome! And hood clearance is a must in daily drivers that see weather!!!

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that I am aware of, but I do find them for sale, frequently.

classiccarjack likes this.
  21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Thanks, I will definitely look more into it. The kids are going to bed... Yeah!!!

gimpyshotrods likes this.