Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I remove the spacer between my blower & carbs?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32blownhemi, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Will my car run ok if I take the 11/16 spacer out that's between my blower & carbs? I want to put a hood on & need clearance for air cleaners... Thanks! Bill 20180123_223838_resized.jpg

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How are you planning on getting the carburetors to stay on the blower.

That's not just a spacer, it is an adapter.

swade41, dwollam, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you can get there from here. simply meaning that is not just a spacer but the part of the intake for lack of a better term that fits the carbs to the blower. Without it you can't bolt the carbs on the blower.
    You probably have a super low profile air cleaner so I am not even going to suggest that.
    Best I can suggest is a bubble in the hood to clear or maybe a proper looking scoop built into the hood to clear. Something like an early T bird scoop come to mind.

Hnstray and deadbeat like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The top of the blower has a 6-bolt pattern, like the screened gasket in the picture:
    [​IMG]
    Your "spacer" is similar to the adapter shown above.

dwollam, OFT and Hnstray like this.

5. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Whoops, Thanks Everyone, guess that idea won't work. I don't have a hood on it now. When I put the hood on now there's only 1 11/16" between the top of the carb where the air cleaner sits & the bottom of the hood. The air horn on the card is 1 5/8" tall... I could raise the grill shell up 1/2 " or so & this would give me a little more room. The rear carb isn't as close as the front one is. Do they make adapters that are different thicknesses? Thank You! Bill

6. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

The thinest adapter that Summit has is 1" so they probably don't make one that's thinner than 11/16"...

7. I bet you could mill 1/4 off the adapter,
    Cheat some out of the motor mounts
    Cheat some at the grill,
    Cheat at least a 1/4 shim on all body bushings
    Might be able to mill 1/4 off the intake manifold

That would be an inch if you did all of it. Then make a custom air cleaner to work

Or a hood scoop

dwollam, powrshftr, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

or leave the hood off. Blowers look so mean without a hood

491-Thursday-Great-Lakes-Drag-Week-2017.jpg

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut. The. Hood!

tuckpoint and Kan Kustom like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

if it's an early car with a hood that hinges down the middle, it's hard to cut the hood!

dwollam likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a large plasma cutter. Nothing is hard to cut.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks exactly like my Nova! 'cept mine has a hood and the front tires are always on the ground, and mine isn't very fast...but other than that...

13. squirrel

squirrel

I have a torch, I can cut a lot of stuff, too. But making it look and work like it ought to...that's a whole nuther can of worms

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right
    Just like it but completely different, but that can be easily retified!

dwollam and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. 32blownhemi

32blownhemi

Thank You for all the replies everyone! I've had the hood off ever since I put the blown hemi in. I was looking at pic's the other day back when I had a small block in it with the hood on. I want a try going back to that look for awhile! Ok, I found several round & oval air cleaners that are 2" tall & 1 that's 1 3/8" (although this isn't tall enough to cover the carb horns even though I have no idea what they do). I can use a 2" filter & get room by the above suggestions; Cheating at the grill & raise the body 1/4". Those 2 would probably be the easiest. Can't lower the motor, already had to have my oil pan shortened 1 1/4". It's so low it was scrapping my driveway. Milling the manifold & spacer would be more work than the other two ideas. I can go either 2 separate 5 1/8" x 2" round air filters or 1 oval that's 14 5/8' x 7 3/4" x 2" & make a top & bottom for it. I don't think the 2 small round ones would be enough air. 5 1/8" inside & 7" outside & 2" tall... Wouldn't the oval one be more air intake? Thanks again! Bill... Love your Nova Squirrel !

dwollam likes this.
  16. Is this the car?
    image.jpeg
    Hamb member "Ago" has a blown hemi in his 32 all under the hood, air cleaners too. Look him up and see what he says about getting it done. He drives it all over the eastern United States. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd help you.

What manifold are you using?

17. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

The 1st picture looks like it may have an adapter like gimpy shows and a spacer to clear the carburetor arm. my carbs will sit on the adapter but I have to trim off the lower part of the arms.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

build an air filter system that the carbs fit inside of and sandwich the base between the blower and the adpt, or build a base that drops down over from the carbs K&N offers many shapes and sizes

mad mikey and pitman like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've been trying to conjure up this picture in my head since I first read this.
    Many, many years ago there was a blown small block in a ?57? Nomad that had some kind of ?Cast? or fabbed adapter that dropped down the side of the blower, but like I said the details escape me.....anyone else remember this?

Hudson31 likes this.
  20. Offy had the drop down adapters
    Looks like a water buffalo with carter AFB earings

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Well, I guess this shows my limited knowledge of these critters in their original environment. I consulted with Mr. Google and this may be what was used, adapted, etc.
    And Vicky, you may be right, but I don't (remember) the Off versions either.
    I see there were a couple different versions used on the diesel engines but this is kind of what I remember seeing, may have been modified in some form for street use.
    All I know is this sure would solve the OP's problem, but it sounds like he is looking for an easy fix.

[​IMG]

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Use an off set air cleaner. Lots of cars used them but an easy quick google would be a Chevy corvair.

It puts the air filter off to the side and down.

Put it to the side with out throttle linkage and party on!

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I thought about those also, but G-search did not come up with anything or I did not use the right name for them

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

688C437B-AD10-4BA7-9776-5CB5B42A8562.jpeg

There’s a corvair set with a Weird cross over. I think a 50’s in-line 6 in about anything has a similar set up.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Redo the flange for some side draft Webers

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That too was in my minds eye!

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

72602B93-EEF2-4638-8AAA-6292BC38B588.jpeg Buick version. Nash also used a small offset one like the corvair

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Nash are probably the best looking. These are from a metro FEE7B96A-EAA8-41B1-A64C-712BA4A20DF0.jpeg A48D3DA5-05C1-45F8-9A00-935320ADC931.jpeg

29. Offenhouser cross ram adapters

dan griffin, XXL__ and dwollam like this.