Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects can i put modern ford 9" disc brakes on a 50s ford 9" ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrong generation, Nov 22, 2015.

1. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

can i just unbolt the drum brakes on a 57 ford 9" rear then go to the junkyard find a newer ford with disc brakes and bolt them onto the old rear ? or is it a bit more complicated then that ?

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good question, I've wondered that myself.

3. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, it's more complicated than that. For one thing, the only fords that used rear disc brakes and a 9" were a few Granadas, the little Lincoln Versaille, and some big Lincolns and Tbirds, in the late 70s. The axles are different, among other things. The calipers had a strange parking brake system that caused problems.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Why would you want to use disc brakes on what many consider one of the better 9" Ford rear axles out there,they generally have great brakes from the factory and are about as traditional as it gets when updating a rear axle. HRP

5. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, that too. It was my next question.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Regarding the early 9 " disc swaps, I do remember that. Had a Granada 9 inch under a '51 F1 a few years back. The adjustment has to be done with an allen wrench and the caliper off the axle, the recommended clearance was about the width of a piece of paper and the rotor had to 100% true. What a pain. I hear the later 9" setup (late 80'-90s I think) was better.
    Danny has a good point. The 9" under my avatar had no brake stuff at all when I got it, went to a junkyard and got the whole shebang from an early '70s wagon. If I remember correctly the shoes were about 2-1/4" wide. Worked like a champ.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

later Fords with rear disc brakes had the 8.8" rear, not the 9" rear. It's a different setup, the axles are retained with a C clip, aren't they?

8. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I just read a post a few days ago about using the 8.8 discs from an explorer on a 57 9" housing. I cannot seem to find it.

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA