Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crotex, Apr 24, 2011.

1. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I have a buddy who was a really good friend of mine until recently nothing specifically happened we just kinda stopped getting along. He has a 48 ford Tudor with rebuilt flathead and car runs/drives. He had it hauled to my house to work on it it when he got it but is too lazy to do anything with it. The only work that had been done to it has been by me. He now has no plans for it and it has sat at my house for a couple months now. He has been warned to come get it or I'll get rid of it and shows no interest. At this point do I just get rid of the car to get it out of my way or what do I do? I feel I have been more than fair to him.

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

get the title before you do anything. Been in that situation myself. Ended up with 3 cars that way

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

theres a lot you could do, Give him the choice, offer to buy him out real cheap and get the title. If hes being a real pain and wont come get it you could lien sale it, or just take it to his house. or hey push it to the side and use the flatty till he is interested again.

4. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

"Just get rid of " ? :eek:

The darker circles of hell should be reserved for someone that would "get rid of" a running driving '48 Tudor.

That aside, you should draw up a storage agreement and send it to your "buddy". Something that states that, as of this date, if your buddy would like to continue to store his car on your property he has to agree to pay you a storage fee of a set amount. My legalese is a little rusty, but it should also state that if the car remains on the property past a certain date that the presence of the vehicle is the same as entering into the storage agreement. Date it, send a copy certified mail (so your buddy has to sign for it).

It depends on the laws of your state, but if your buddy doesn't remove the car or pay your storage fees, you'll be able to put a lein on his title, or title it yourself. Tow yards do this all the time with cars that are abandoned in impound. You can probably find all the documents you need online.

More than likely, the storage agreement/bill showing up should be enough to jog your buddy into action.

5. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

The title that came with the car is to a 49 ford. Also the guy he got it from still has the title. The guy with the title is a good friend of mine too. I really do like that flatty. It runs so good it sounds like a hybrid and seems like idle is so slow it couldn't run. I could probably count the fan rotations while it was running.

6. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I also want to add that he has no other vehicle or way to move the car without my help which had already been offered.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Lien sales in c.a. cost 95 bucks.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just remember to bury his body at LEAST 6ft deep, that way it avoids a lot of 'issues' later on.

Doc.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

You got the car,it belongs to one guy,another guy has the title,whos name is the title to the car in or is the title even legit.Sounds like you need to get face to face with both of these buddies and straighten the crap out.

10. Maybe there might be a way to re-new your friendship (if wanted). Let's face it, the car's not yours. Why not load it up, drop it off at his place. Maybe he dosen't know how to approach you since the fallout? If you want the car you can always talk to the friend that has the title, and this person. Sometimes the best foot forward by you (eventhough you put the effort forth in the past) is the best way to go for all parties.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  11. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Sounds like a good one to get out from under. Tow it too his home/or were he lives at your cost and dump it off. Not worth the trouble.

12. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

buy it from him and pull the flatty and sell the rest.

13. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Push it out on the street.....I have "friends" like that too...they are not worth putting any effort into it.

14. A true "friend" wouldn't leave you hanging like that. Drag the car to where he lives, and be done with the both of them.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I had it happen to me 30 years ago. I built a Deuce frame for him. In exchange he helped with the grunt work on my projects. I ended up taking it to his club garage when he was not there and leaving it. We were pretty good buddies until he quit coming around. I may have spoken to him 3 or 4 times in those 25 years. It took me over a year to read the writing on the wall. People are funny. I'm told the car is still not on the road.

16. Been there in Ca take it to his house it will be cheaper
    if you loose it oe sell it you are responsable in Ca courts
    it was in your control
    most time Ca courts go with the owner with or with out papers
    had a repair and towing in San Rafael CA

17. Joey7319

Joey7319

Here in Virginia you can apply for an abandoned vehicle title if it has been on your property for 30 days or more

18. File a lien...

Attached Files:

19. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Take it to him. Life is so much more enjoyable without court dates.

20. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Yes do this then you can get the little flat head

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Forget the car and repair the friendship.
    The car is just a focal point of the real issue.

Maybe the guy is leaving the car at your place hoping the issues will resolve themselves between you guys...but like you, he has too much pride to admit his part in the problem.

Dear Abby.

22. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I think I would have a tow company come and get it and deliver it back to his house. Even if you have to pay for it, it's better to have the car gone and your space back than to be stuck in your present situation. If you set it out in the street, sell it, take the motor out and/or all the other misinformation that you have recieved, you will be responsible. Be sure you have the tow driver sign for it and take photos for proof, in the future, that the car wasn't damaged when it left your house.

Sounds like a sticky-wickit you have there mate!!:eek: Good luck my freind.

23. If the title doesn't match the numbers on the car, then it's not any of those people's car. Just file for an abandoned vehicle title, make it legally yours, and do what you want with it.

24. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

Grab a couple of six packs and go see him ,sort it out,any friend is worth more than a flat-head ford,you`ll be glad you did in the long run