Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can Cycle Fenders on Hot Rods look good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whizzerick, Oct 31, 2004.

1. whizzerick

whizzerick

I think so... Truth is, I'd better convince myself, as The Law says I have to run fenders...
    I made my decision as to what I'll be building: a '27 Roadster (either atop a '32 frame OR channeled on a homebuilt 'A' frame). I had a shock when I saw SurfMonkey's car and then this beauty in American Rodder:

[​IMG]

My question is: who is running cycle fenders? Who is building a car that will run them? Please post pics of bracketry, fender shapes (crescent, round, trailer fenders?), etc. I need some guidance and inspiration!

2. Sweats

Sweats

I'm not running them but I always thought the ones made from Harley, or spare tire rings looked best.

3. whizzerick

whizzerick

Monkey's '27 on A frame: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hate um on cars.. always did...

5. I have bobbed stock fenders on the rear of my 31 A on 32 rails roadster.
    Cycle fenders up front are on the schedule, but it will be a while before I get to that.

There are some good looking bike fenders out there, specifically the Triumphs with the raised ridge in the middle.

J&P Cycles (I think - P&J?) carries some killer expensive fenders, but if you do a little digging on their site you'll find some very nice fenders for not too much $$.
    I plan to use a pair of these shortened a bit.
    The J&P fenders cover about 180 degrees of the tire and if you wanted a short fender, you could easily get a couple of 90's out of one fender.
    Even so, I plan to run fenders that cover about 110 degrees of arc.

Strikes me as well that a talented body work guy or gal could split the narrower - and cheaper - front fenders, stick an appropriate piece of bent to match the radius curved 1/2" or so tubing in between.
    It wouldn't hurt to leave the tubing full circle and that would add considerably to the strength of the fender.

Bending the tubing on a grooved slip roller would be the best bet here.

Lotsa ways to build the front fender brackets.
    I'm thinking of short pieces of tubing - or machined to the right size short pieces of tubing - used horizontally with allen bolts to bolt the brackets to the disc brake setup and then coming off that vertically with either round tubing bent to shape - which would be a little bit different - or small rectangular tubing. That would be different as well and at least it wouldn't be another flat strap bracket.

Regardless, don't do what I saw on a roadster a couple weeks back.
    The guy had some clever and well done ideas, but he welded the flat strap fender brackets to the steering arms between tie rod end and where the steering arms left the backing plates.
    Sure made me wonder.

About sanity as well as about metallurgy.... [​IMG]

6. whizzerick

whizzerick

Deeply channeled 31:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. whizzerick

whizzerick

[ QUOTE ]
    Even so, I plan to run fenders that cover about 110 degrees of arc.

[/ QUOTE ]
    C9, you are right on the money: 110 degrees is what regulations call for, over here (35 fore + 75 aft from the centerline).

8. Cool, I just thought 110 degrees would look about right.

You may want to take a look at some of the Oz (Australia) cars.
    They're required to run fenders there.

Many of the highboy styled cars run black painted flat fenders on brackets with the flat fender being very close to the tire.
    At a glance you don't see the fenders.

Required or not, I think if you're gonna run fenders they ought to be part of the styling exercise.

One reason I'm running fenders on the 31 roadster is that they add to the width of the rear view.
    Most early roadsters and coupes done highboy style look too tall and narrow from the rear. True for my 32 anyway and that's why I built the horizontally oriented gasser bumper for it.
    It did give the 32 a bit of a horizontal style line, but not enough. Bobbed fenders on it would be a good addition.

The bobbed fenders on the 31 are a nice touch that gives it some visual - and real - width to the rear view.

The front cycle fenders are a bit of an engineering exercise as well as a styling exercise.
    If I can do it right I think it'll look pretty good.

Even so, I look at roadsters like DRD57's full fendered many hued wonder and Baskerville's old red roadster with fenders and boards as well as remember a red Chrysler powered full fendered 32 roadster from the old home town and think - for me anyway - maybe the fenderless look has run it's course.

Fenders . . . just another option in styling and one more way to set your car apart from all the belly-button highboys out there.... [​IMG]

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have WWII military Harley front fenders for the front of my project. This in combination with the stock rear fenders will look good.

10. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I think they look good if they are period styled, radiused cross section, with the raised rib running down the centre.

What I personally think look fuckin' awful is the little shorty stump of a fender that sits at the top of the wheel, looking totally out of place, like some after thought tacked on.

11. c9, J&P Cycles is the right name. Also, there is some company doing 36 Ford spare tire lookin glass cycle fenders.

12. Muttley

Muttley

[ QUOTE ]
    Hate um on cars.. always did...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

13. [ QUOTE ]
    Also, there is some company doing 36 Ford spare tire lookin glass cycle

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tman . . . not sure if I'm allowed to use glass fenders on a steel car.... [​IMG]

14. [ QUOTE ]
    Hate um on cars.. always did...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some cars are cying out for fenders as a finishing touch.

Others . . . you shouldn't let a fender get near them.

Biggest thing that kills the highboy style is the wrong choice in tire sizes.
    Note that I said 'sizes' and not bias or radial. [​IMG]

15. Not mine but I like the looks of it............

16. mikes51

mikes51

manyolcars,
    Those are the springer front fenders, right? I've seen two rods with those around here, very cool. The most recent one I saw really looked right. I think he might have cut them apart, then narrowed them. They hugged the tire close and looked the best of the two I'd seen.

17. whizzerick

whizzerick

That's the look, Fuzz.

That '31 Roadster I posted has amazing details...
    I'm a sucker for brackets. I like to look at well made bracketry,
    it's those details that set great cars apart from good cars...
    Just look at the curvature in this fender bracket:

[​IMG]

Notice how the bracket actually follows the TIRE profile with even spacing.
    Oh yes, that bracket EARNED a chrome bath!!!

18. chrisman

chrisman

One of my favorite rods ran cycle fenders on all four corners: Tom Pollard's '29 roadster as it was when featured in Car Craft june 1957, there were even small louvers punched in 'em. Can scan the spread tomorrow.

That car had quite a few nice touches btw, like a filled '40 dash with frenched (freedomed?) instruments, and with a flame job that went all the way under the windshield and over the dash.

19. 35/36 ford tire covers with the raised centre ridge have
    allways been popular as fenders.Just cut one in half to make
    2 perfectly fitting cycle gaurds on 16 inch tires.

20. [ QUOTE ]
    35/36 ford tire covers with the raised centre ridge have
    allways been popular as fenders.Just cut one in half to make
    2 perfectly fitting cycle gaurds on 16 inch tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

How wide are the 35/36 tire covers?

My front tires have a 4 1/2" wide tread, tire is on a 5" x 15" steelie.

21. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]

How wide are the 35/36 tire covers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I've got in the garage is 6" wide.
    I'm pretty sure it's a '36...Someone gave it to me, and they said it was a '36. [​IMG]

22. Dr. J,

One more question and then I'll shut up . . . how wide is the center ridge?

(As if I could ever find a 36 tire cover.... [​IMG])

23. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Dr. J,

One more question and then I'll shut up . . . how wide is the center ridge?

(As if I could ever find a 36 tire cover.... [​IMG])

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem!
    25.5" (nom) diameter at edge.
    "ridge" 1.25" wide, on outside, nominally
    circumference over/around ridge with dress maker's tape 83"
    It's made about 6º-10º shy of being 360º around a tire.
    Air gap at the bottom I guess.

24. Hi Guys,

They can look good or they can look shit. The flat steel matt black fenders look like shit in my opinion. the cycle guard style can look awesom. This is AdamF car on the HAMB...how good does his ride look..

Danny

Attached Files:

25. In my opinion you either run full fendered or you don't, there is no inbetween....
    If you insist on running cycle fenders make sure they are a feature of the car. Don't do that shit where they have the smallest sliver of sheet steel painted mat black because that way no one can see them. CRAP !!!
    Check out that Andy Southard book 'Hot Rods of the 1950's', that has some good ideas for cycle fenders.

This is a prime example of how not to do it. Pants.

26. I will be running guards. For the back I have 4 old rear guards that I'll try to build into 2. I haven't started them yet. I will once I have built the body. ('29/30 Chev)

Here is a good example of cycle guards.

Attached Files:

27. 2

Attached Files:

28. whizzerick

whizzerick

Darn JimB, that is TASTY! More' o that please!

29. OK, I just have to state this for Sam TOHRJ, FTF!!!!! Thats right Fuck em! [​IMG]

I know some of you blokes HAVE to run em, but my cars wont be using them. I do like the 36 ford spare covers made into cycle fenders though...................

30. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

check out this 32 i was looing through some old HALF MOON BAY drags and this one is fantastic, half scalloped rear fenders and small ones on the front

Attached Files: