Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can Bondo that has froze still be used?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlueOvalCertified, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

Can it still be used?

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

Put a heat lamp on it and it will soften up. It really cant freeze.

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Heh, to some of us who make it on less than $200 bucks a week it's a good question. I have some Bondo that froze too so I am curious to know the answer.

4. darkk

darkk

I wouldn't...yes I'm a body man.....

5. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Should say on the can whither it can freeze or not.

6. Master of None

Master of None

Hardener froze too? I'd get a new tube of it and try it.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Let it thaw and if nots hard use it ,But mix it up with a beater .If its hard ditch it .

8. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Should be fine once it's thawed. You might have to mix it if it's been sitting for a long time. The solids tend to settle to tht bottom.

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

What Hank said. Try not to whip it while mixing it. You don't want to introduce air into the filler. Stu

10. Mix up a sample and let it cure! You should have your answer in a few minutes. It's not like it's going to lose "water resistance" (doesn't have any) or anything!

11. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

Hey thanks! I am going to try a test batch, like rec.

12. CR1193

CR1193
    from Tennessee

"I wouldn't...yes I'm a body man....." X-10

Not a professional body man, but I've done my own for years.

To me it's not worth the gamble, you will spend alot of time and money on top of the bondo, so why chance it!!!!!!!!!!

13. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

Is it old? Been sitting outside since last year? Or was in in the car overnight?
    I will say this, take it how you want.
    My Paint store orders were shipped from a warehouse dist in Ohio (PBE Jobbers), on the truck for days, Ive got cases of Bondo before that were froze solid as a rock.
    And if you think it dont get that cold sitting on trucks for a few days .... well the froze and busted Meg. 3M etc) compounds says it does.
    I would be more afraid of OLD Bondo that a can that had been froze.

14. It gets frozen in shipping all the time. Up here it can be on a train or a truck for a week in -40 degree weather. More problems will occur from age than freezing.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Think about what it would take keeping the stuff from freezing during shipment....heated trucks, etc. I would use it....

16. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bondo will be OK if frozen. Polyester resin keeps very well in a refridgerator, for long term storage. The hardner may not be good after extreme cold. Hardner doesn't freeze the same as water. If it's bad it will usually separate into a runny liquid and a grainy paste instead of a smoothe consistent paste. Knead the hardner tube with your fingers to make sure it is mixed. Squeeze out some and check to see if it looks as described. If your are still not sure mix a test batch and see if it still cures the bondo. Bondo is still very cheap compared to paint and primer, and it is the "foundation". When in doubt--throw it out.

Make sure both components-bondo and hardner-are both at room temperature before using, and always be sure the metal and air temps are in the correct range for the bondo to cure evenly and completely.

Bondo 101 TECH THREAD:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8318&showall=1

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Toss it and Switch to rage, you can either buy paper or rage.

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Stop storing it in the freezer.

19. Noland

Noland

Very true, Bondos garbage. I actually use evercoat chroma-Lite. It is that same yellow gold color as rage gold and works just the same,just its half the price. It comes in a plain white can. doesnt eat up the paper

20. 383 240z

383 240z

Im pretty sure there is an 1-800 number on that can call them, they would know. Keith

21. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I would think that during the delivery process in a box car or a semi trailer (which arent heated) it gets frozen before it gets to our local vender. We all don't live in California ya know. I say, heat it up, mix it up and use it!

22. Polyester body fillers consist of polyester resin and talc like fillers. polyester resin has a shelf life due to promoted resin, styrene evaporation. The fillers get stiff in the cold but do not kick off.However, old body filler will get stiff and unusable as promoted resin(cobalt added at manufacturer) will become useless if too old.It is more expensive to buy the smaller cans but in the long run better economy if you have to throw out a half gallon of old filler.

23. voodoo1

voodoo1

Put it in the house for a day and let it warm up. Stir it with a heavy duty stir stick or big screw driver, don't whip it up and get a bunch of air in it. Just make sure the resin is mixed in and it looks consistant. Make sure it gets put up high and out of reach of any young ones. Mike

24. Crankhole

Crankhole

Its's gonna freeze again after you spread it on your car. I can't imagine it being a problem.