Register now to get rid of these ads!

can anyone tell me what cam this sounds like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadz-forever, Jan 2, 2012.

1. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

2. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

In between a 3/4 and full race cam.
    :)

3. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

haha I was kinda hoping for a name or one that sounds like it.

4. badshifter

badshifter

Cams don't make any sounds. They just sit there. Or spin there.

5. boldventure

boldventure

6. Id think more of tHat sound is from a lack of a muffler...it sounds raw like it doesnt have one.

My hemi with no pipes and a mild cam sounded like a p51 mustang

7. Bounder

Bounder

Got no idea but damn wish mine sounded that way. Probably too much for the street.
    And I know all I've got to do is get up off my billfold and build it and it will sound that way.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

da-boopa, da-boopa, de-bopp, repeat as necessary (grin).

9. Sounds like a Flathead Ford Cam ;)

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah......I just helped a friend get a '51 Ford running. It's got a stone stock flathead except for open tubing headers, and it sounded pretty close to your Youtube clip.

11. Yup, the Rocky33 had the same setup and sounded pretty throaty

12. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

why let me re-phrase that what model brand and model do you think that cam is

13. Stock Ford with headers and no muffers.

14. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

But I thoughtstock cams were smooth with almost no lope that car surely has cam lope it say below the video flatheads sound good with a cam in them (aftermarket)

15. This has to be the funniest thread of the year!
    Trying to tell what cam is in a motor from a youtube clip without knowing anything about the motor - Do we have any Psychic's on here, or maybe Houdini? The same cam in three different motors with different compression, cams, exhaust etc will sound entirely different. Then again, I have NEVER bought a cam by what it sounds like, only by the performance it will give - guess that's why they came out with the Thumper cams, for guys that want sound, not performance
    Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I did'nt know it was possible to tell who's cam was in the engine by listening to it run. may be a lucky guess

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It will also sound different, like A LOT different depending on where the initial timing is set, and how well the carbs are set up. I find pretty much EVERY cam thread on the HAMB to be an endless source of amusement. The "What heads/cam should I run with zoomies on my small block ford" thread was pretty damn funny too. My New Years resolution was to try to not be so damn sarcastic when I respond a cam thread on the hamb. They arent making it easy for me...

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Flatheads have a syncopated rhythm because of the siamesed exhaust ports. This gives them a "lopey" sound regardless of the cam.

What cracks me up is the "Thumper" cam that is being marketed specifically for its lumpy idle characteristics. I can accomplish the same thing by messing with my idle mixture screws.

Another funny is that the V-twin Harley clones have their computer ignition systems programmed to mis-fire to mimic the distinct Harley-Davidson idle.

19. FityFive

FityFive

Sounds like a custom grind to me.

Just kidding!

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

21. Fenders

Fenders

Ford flathead.
    Open pipes.
    The firing order says it all.

22. Algon

Algon

:D:D:D

As HotRod Don pointed out a good sound doesn't always mean top performance. A cam should match the use of the engine and the parts on it. Tune it correctly and it should sound just fine but you can chase 3/4 mystery grinds hoping to match it. Really my buddy's car sounds like that( better I think) with a custom cut cam on a low compression engine running two 94's and baffled pipes. It's actually set up for a blower but he's running it without for now, and everyone thinks it's wildest Flatty on the road.:D

23. Fenders

Fenders

On second thought, it's not simply the firing order... the side to side FO for the Ford flathead and Y block, is the same as for the Chevy V8.

The Ford engine cylinders are numbered 1234 on the right, and 5678 on the left. The FO is 15486372.

The Chevy is numbered 1357 on the left, and 2468 on the right. The FO is 18436572.

The side to side exhaust pulses into the right side and Left side manifolds, once the engines are running (either Ford or Chevy), and ignoring cylinder numbering, is the same:
    R R L R L L R L

So, the nice sound of the flathead is likely due to some other cause.
    Although some like the "lope" of the Chevy V8.
    And why not, the exhaust pulses are the same.

24. aaggie

aaggie

If all you want is a ragged idle just ditch the mufflers and cross wire a couple of spark plugs. Saves a lot of time and money.......

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

They all sound the same when you drop them on your foot!

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sounds like a Croweriskyerson cam with .796" lift, 942 degrees duration with 425 degree overlap and double wizbang clapper valves painted blue, but I could be wrong. All the tuner guys run 'em. :rolleyes: :D

27. tedster

tedster

Do you think they have this cam for a 348, ah it would not be the same, never mind.

28. tedster

tedster

Crap, I can't have blue clapper valves anyway.

29. I can't tell you, but I am 100% certain the answers you seek can be found here.

http://decidefor.us/

They will help you