Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone tell me the story on this vehicle???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47Plym, May 29, 2007.

1. knotheads

knotheads

not sure what it is ...but i sure do want it !!

2. brewsir

brewsir

Art Himsel owns it I believe it was an old motorhome with wood framing and cloth skin.

3. SimonSez

SimonSez

4. knotheads

knotheads

now that you mention it ...i do remember reading about this awhile back...i think it was in rod and custom if i am not mistaken.

5. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

6. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

story is its f'in badass. super creative..

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's kind of a miniature version of the bus that sold for 5 mil at the last Barrett Jackson auction.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a very cool vehicle indeed. I'd like to see what he started with. that thing would cause accidents going down the freeway since nobody would be looking where they were going

9. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

Back when I was involved with BilletProof, I liked to work the gate. The year we had the show in Livermore, Art rolled up to the gate and asked " Is this ok for the show, can I get in?" I was honored to have His creation at the show.

10. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

i think i saw an article in a mag a few years ago on this masterpiece. the insides are just as sweet as the outside. i wish america could build something as stylish in the RV world nowadays.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

AND you thought RVs were a modern invention!! That is a vintage motor home of the late 40s. Motorhomes in those time often had the dirigible/blimp look. They, like travel trailers of the 20s-60s did not have bathrooms but did have sleeping accomodations, kitchens, and unlike modern ones...PIZAZZ!
    I once saw one in polished aluminum with a 38-40 cabover oval grille and headlamps, what a fine piece.

12. Back then they had to be aerodynamic because the horsepower was low, today big blocks have made all the difference. Rags

13. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

You want one? Take an old AirStream trailer and mount it on a motorhome chassis then kustomize the heck out of it. It could look that nice with the right guy doing the work and that wouldn't be me... that's for sure!

14. I have a picture of it before he redid it. I took the picture about 20 years ago at one of the last Andy's picnics in Vallejo Ca. He drove it there, it was flathead powered. It's steel tubing with canvas covering it. The window areas, and some of the front of it was steel. It had 39 Merc rear fenders and tail lights. It didn't have front fenders, the wheels where enclosed in the body. It has a lot more steel on it now, only the Grey area isn't steel. It's covered with some kind of new aircraft covering. Howdy Ledbetter in Fremont Ca did the interior. It sat in Howell's welding and iron in Walnut Creek Ca. for a lot of years in pieces. It's Chevy powered, with Chevy truck or van front suspension, and drive train. I'll have to post the picture, it's hanging on my shop wall. Dean

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Theres pics in it in Hot Rod Magazines old 25 (?) year book, wasn't it owned by a rock band or someone famous and Art saved it and restored it? I remember it having different rear fenders??
    Doc.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D'uh, read the link and theres the story huh!

17. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

A lot of these questions could have been answered if someone would have taken the time to read the plaqard on the side. Himsl Zeppelin....1937 Roadliner

18. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Perfect example of Art-Deco in motion. I love it.

19. Here's the pictures I took close to 20 years ago. It had 40 Merc rear fenders and lights, not 39's like I thought. He changed a lot when it was redone, I'm not sure I like it the way it is, but I'm glad it's finished and being driven. I think what I dislike about it is they used 46-48 Ford rear fenders, and what look to be 40 Ford rear fenders for the front. I would have left the 40 Merc fenders on the back, and used matching fenders on the front. Dean

Attached Files: