Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Can anyone straighten out the pro topline story?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarniverousPony, Jul 23, 2009.

1. CarniverousPony

CarniverousPony
    from Canada

Hi Guys,
    I was doing research for aluminum heads and came across Pro Topline heads for BBC. I saw different comments from different people concerning these heads. Siome say they are good and others bad. From what I understand there were problems with early heads, then quality concerns. Then the company was sold. Can anyone tell the story acurately?
    I want to purchase aluminum heads for the blown big block and am in the middle of the recipe. Wanting to keep costs under control. Thanks for help suggestions.

2. choptop37

choptop37

i believe pro topline became pro action which were around for a while , but qaulity control and supply from new zealand became a problem, last i know they were bout by rhs racing and thats what they atre now after the plant had been shut down and resold a few times, they were a good head, but they need to be double checked by a real machine shop before install, ive seen a lot of guides to tight,misalighned, bad valve jobs etc, not a big deal but it sucks to have to pay the money and then pay to make them right! i still recomend getting any pre assembled heads at least checked out most shops can inspect them cheap, and its worth not doing every thing twice or having a majore enginge failure, by then iys to late too blame any one , and you will get no help from any manufactuerer, just my .02

3. brandon

brandon

i've heard of a couple brands of heads needing to be "re-done" so to speak , before installing....know of a local guy , that installed some worlds , only to slow down from his old camel humps....come to find out , they were only "assembled" ....no valve job or anything....:rolleyes: i was kinda curious on the rhs heads myself......

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Give Mike a call at Roger's Performance. http://www.rogersperformance.com/EQ.htm

He knows the Topline/RHS story inside and out.
    Engine Quest (EQ) is the way to go, and Mike sells 'em.

I got a set of EQ Vortec heads from him recently that are the nutz, and his customer service is second to none.

Good luck

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. rooman

rooman

A friend of mine put a set of the old Kiwi built heads on his Junior Fuel car. He asked me if they put the valve guide hole in with a drill press--they we that far off.

Roo

6. oj

oj

Those new zealand heads were good but something happened, usually money is involved, and quality went to shit. RHS is a reputable bunch and been around forever and i'd trust anything that came from them. The heads on the car in my currant avatar came from them and they're making over 1400hp.

7. Rogers Performance

Rogers Performance

The Pro Action then Pro Topline have been around since the mid 90,s
    They had some cracking problems in the Beginning but got that straighten out. They were sold thur AFR at one time but they had a falling out do to what i was told AFR ripping of there designs. They were then hook up with Ron Shaver Of Shaver specialty in Ca.

They are a great head and make good power then Topline automotive got involved because they had world wide distribution which they were lacking. When they bought into the company they took the money and were like a kid in a candy store and got in trouble thats when they started to go down hill.

( Pro comp) not to be confused with the Pro Topline tried to step in and capture the name and the void with a very bad Chinese knock off ( Stay away from these heads) Fast forward Comp Cams bought the rights to the company and sells them thur RHS from what i can tell they have not fixed any of the small problems they had.

( I have to omit that i have not looked at any of the new RHS heads and i,am basing my assessment off of when they where first brought out by RHS they still had the same problems. I have not looked at them since and they may have well fixed them.) Really in my opinion what cause them to go under is they did not know how to market the heads here and were being sold to cheap i would sell the bare cast as cheap as $450.00 a set no body was making money.

How is EQ connected to this from what i was told they owned the tooling and molds to the heads and hooked up with the Toowoomba castings in Australia and Ron Shaver redesigned the heads to what they are today the EQ Lighting. The heads are much better then the Pro Action / Pro Topline/ RHS heads they spent a lot of time getting the port alignment right use better seats and guides and the castings are more constant. They spent a year redeveloping the heads. They only come in cast iron now but when i talked to them yesterday they are in development of aluminum heads.

Any heads or after market engine parts bought today have to be taken apart and looked at case in point Eagle rods they are always way to tight in the pin area and if you take the caps off clean them and reassemble they have to be touched up this is just one example.

If any one has Questions about them i would be glad to help you out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  8. 30on32

30on32

I had a good experience with RHS heads.
    I bought the bare aluminum castings 64cc chambers, 180cc runners, angle plug.
    I had the valves cut for 2.15/1.625, chambers blended, milled to get it back to 64cc, little blending on the valve guides.

331 cid 9.8:1 with flat tops and a zero decked block.
    Ultradyne solid on 106cl advertised 272/272, 244@.050

424hp @ 6200
    406lb.ft. @ 4000

At 6800 rpm the motor was hanging tight at 416 hp.
    I used 87 octane pump gas for the dyno session.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. Tony Travers

Tony Travers

Howdy I know this is an old thread but I'm in Aussie and want a set of EQ Magnum heads but can't get 'em here unless I buy from the US in USD and then pay freight back here. Do you have any details of the manufacturer in Toowoomba. I did a heap of searching and found there were made by Toowoomba Metal Technologies how ever their parent company went belly up in the GFC. I rand the old foundry number today and got a Motel and she told me the foundry closed up years ago and she still get calls for them all the time. Did you say you have a contact some where with who ever it is that's making these heads?
    Cheers
    Tony

10. Rogers Performance hasn't posted on here for almost 2 years, you might want to send a Personal Message