Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone identify this shifter?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hot Rod Dan, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Anyone know about this shifter? It's bolted to what looks like a 1955-57 chevy 3 speed overdrive trans. It doesn't look like it has a very wide gate so I don't know if it's a H pattern or not.<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

2. Hurst made a shifter with a Yo-Yo shift knob as well as sparkomatic. Look really clsose for any markings, the hurst Yo-Yo is collectable and the sparkomatic is junk.

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like one of a number of cheepo's made mid 60's-mid 70's. The "delux" Sparkomatic and the piece 'o crap Foxcraft could be hooked up "straitline" as well as"H" pattern. I remember some kids; hooking the rods up wrong ,shifting down and over from 1st to 2nd ; then up to 3rd... live& learn!

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm leaning towards Spark-o-matic also. The fact that it's "fits" an overdrive trans makes it even rarer. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's definitely a Spark-O-Matic.

6. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Thanks for the help! This weekend I'll move some stuff so I can get to it and take a better look, see if it has a Spark-O-Matic stamped on it.

7. That's a old sparkomatic,,haven't seen one since the 60's. HRP

8. a4278v

a4278v

that is a sparkomatic it was the first " speed equipment" I got new for a 1954 ford od trans, must of been in 1962!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Looks like a Spark-O-Matic from the early 60's to me

Jimbo [​IMG]

10. You mean that had cars back in 1962? :D

Bob

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one of those Sparkomatics in my 63 Ford Fairlane, and yep, I hooked the rods up backwards when I put it in. I bet if I was given the opportunity I could do it wrong again:) It wasn't a Hurst (although at that time I'd never used a Hurst) but it was way better than the broken collar on the "three on the tree", I sold it years ago at a swap meet, thanks for bringing a memory back!