Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can anyone identify this old vette kustom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatty mcguire, Aug 26, 2012.

1. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

sorry only can post 1 pic at a time for some reason, but heres a rear shot after the car was restored later on and upgraded, but obviously some for not the better

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I'd buy it just because it is a "screwed up Vette"!
    If you do go for it, I would hope you could try to return it to more of an old style custom look, instead of the mixed era abortion it turned into.
    I gotta WHOLE ROLL of 'glass cloth and a gallon of resin a'waitin'!

3. If you think this is bad, read up on the history of that '53 Ryan posted a picture of.

4. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

This is what your "building" "I' building a 46 Chevy fenderless p/u truck", and you got the balls to talk shit about anyone else's car?? wow.. oh, just my "pinion".

Mark, I agree somewhat.. I'd take the pipes off, change the wheels, put white walls on it and leave it.. The hood sccop isnt great, but its not the worst thing i've seen, I may eventually change it, but givin the color, Kandy Brandywine", it'll be tough to cut into it, then match the color.

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Nice, i like this car alot! this is a real kustom, unlike most cars being built today with a chopped top and pretty much everything else stock. Just needs to be brought back to the right era.

6. squirrel

squirrel

or take the hood off, and get some tall stack injectors

7. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Just because something was originally done 50 years ago doesn't mean it should still exist in it's altered state, or has more merit to it that makes it less ugly..

That thing is ugly. But I agree removing the sidepipes/wheels/hood scoop would be a vast improvement. Even if you had to repaint it or go through a ton of trouble to match the color.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

To quote Bill the Cat, "AAACCCKKK. THBTTTTT."
    Brian

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That could be absolutely AWESOME. Change the hood, ditch the pipes, maybe some buick wires, the right tires and you're in business!

10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Feature on the 'vette Ryan posted in the August 1959 issue of Hot Rod

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I normallly try to be kind in what I say, but DAMN, that thing is horrible. The front end is just the worst, and the back isn't much better. Damn front looks like a catfish.

What did I do with that thing that says "What has been seen can't be unseen ?" :eek::eek:

Don

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with Don in that the nose of that car is not attractive in the least and as no one can point to any historical significance of the car with the nose the way it is I'd say that the best thing to do would be to find a stock nose and cut the one on it off and start over on the front end. maybe loose the Ford scoop in the process and french the lights and put in some sort of custom grill that was a lot more appropriate for the car and still carried the custom sports car theme out.

13. R Pope

R Pope

Kinda reminds me of what Packard did to the shovelnose Stude in 1958. UGLY!

14. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I personally would like to do gold scallops with the old gold and white interior, with white wall slicks and white walls with chome reverse wheels. Can I personally say its the best kustom out there no, in my personal opinion theres always going to be something better out there thats why I dont take on big projects anymore, I just like to modify and clean it up a bit and drive and enjoy.

As far as body goes I would like to leave it alone for now, except I can prolly find out the base coat and make a bunch of test samples to get rid of the scoop and use scallops to hide discolor,

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  15. thesupersized

thesupersized

Maybe it's because I'm from NJ, and I naturally like gaudy customs. But I dont understand how so many people on here think this car is ugly. I mean, the only thing on the body that I REALLY dont like is the hood scoop. All the other stupid stuff like the sidepipes is an easy fix. I understand people are entitled to have their own tastes, and it shouldn't matter if other people like a car or not, I just don't understand how people on the HAMB, which I assume should have greater knowledge of custom cars and the styles that were popular across the era this car was built, dont like this car. When I look at this corvette, I see styles that were popular and similar in other famous cars such as The Trendero Ranchero(headlights), Bob Moreira's vette(rear quarters),x51(grill shell). Maybe that is why I like this car, because I see the similarities in all these other cars. Kind of upset how people on this forum can't appericiate a REAL custom car, but blow sperm over the most generic customs being built these days.

16. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Its a god damn Datsun, Just kidding every time i hear Corvette custom i think of Corvette Summer

17. thesupersized

thesupersized

here's a bootleg MS paint job, i did. tried laying out some scallop ideas, removed side pipes, and got some wide whites. photoshop would be nice

Attached Files:

18. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like something out of the "cars" movie...
    The kids might like it...
    But not me..:eek:

19. Hope yer don't mind, I quickly messed with the pic.. IMO, It could be a kool kemp for a kustom lovin' teenage werewolf..

I don't think the Mustang scoop looks too bad..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yeah buddy!

21. Really radical vintage customs just get no love here.

But this car isn't that far away from being correct for the early to mid '60s, I had an old SMP '60 'vette kit someone built custom years ago that this car reminds me a lot of. Does it look tough? Sure. Is it ugly? Unless you're into major underbites, probably. But so what? It's different, and it wouldn't take much to make it pretty sharp.

Plus it will be fun to piss off the Corvette restorer crowd with, maybe some of them will have heart attacks on the spot when they see it.

22. VonKool13

VonKool13

It's ugly but after seeing some of the photoshop jobs it could actually make a cool custom vette. I would snatch it up. Carry on.

23. I suppose more than a few citizens will think your car looks strange. Anyway, if it's done right ( mechanically), you can enjoy the musclely 'vette driving experience. These things did O.K at Le Mans eh?
    There exists old haul- ass Goodwood footage, filmed by John Tate.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  24. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Sad that a thread looking for information gets packed full by people who feel compelled to share their unsolicited design opinions. It seems to happen every time an old custom shows up.
    Good luck in your search, if you find anything let us know. There are still some on here that appreciate a history lesson.

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

There's a big show at the corvette museum down the street this weekend.

I'd drive up in that thing and grin from ear to ear.

Rich

26. Wheels n pipes suck but i think its very cool but then again i think a stock vette is fugly!

27. :cool:Wheels n pipes suck but i think its very cool but then again i think a stock vette is fugly!

28. Yes; guilty.
    The styling compelled me to offer a steer toward 'period' detail suggestions. At the ignorance of the original request. Apologies. :eek:

29. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that tells me all I need to know about new jersey...??

:p

30. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Just looking through the May 1959 Motor Trend, and in the GNRS report, they feature Bob Moreira's '57 (also on the cover), and this one. The caption reads... 'Robert Clew's '58 Corvette has go to match its good looks. Modified 283 cu in engine develops 301hp at 7200 rpm, 4 speed transmission, limited slip axle'
    The headlamp treatment is similar (without the Trendero peaks), and it even has big ol' side pipes. Other bits are different - screen, grille of course, and probably the tail - but it's interesting nonetheless.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1346478443.380518.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad