Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can anyone identify these rear wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BatRestorer, Dec 11, 2017.

1. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

I am building a replica of the Mongrel T. It was driven by Elvis in the movie "Easy Come Easy Go" and later used in in the Batman TV show as The Jokermobile. The photo of it as the Jokermobile shows them better than any other photos I could find.

Thanks to the members of this forum the front wheels have been identified as Rader DBR 990.

Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of wheels are on the rear of this car. Does anyone recognize them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Joker2.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Yes they were changed at some point. The car is normally at the Petersen but is on loan to Graceland right now. Not sure why all the changes were made but many of the parts remain original. Here's the car as it looks today:
    IMG_2681.JPG

4. reminds me of modified chrome steel slots

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Looks like it could be saved but as my son would say, "Whywouldaguy?"

6. cretin

cretin

Do we need 2 of those?

7. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Kinda looks like American Bearclaw wheels like the ones I have for sale 0817151300.jpg

farmalldan likes this.
  8. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Possible magnesium? Unsure of the brand here.
    When The King drove it, the driver's side porch light was blue, and there were 2 Cal Custom scoops on the bat wing air cleaner. Details count. Possible slot & dot Cragar wheel also.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Yes Cretin looking for 2 of those rear wheels. Chevy57dude: Already got the Cal Custom scoops, the Batwing, bulb horn, Rolls Grille, Flying Lady and headlights. Working on the wheels now. Really hope to get same wheels or very close match.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"When The King drove it, the driver's side porch light was blue, and there were 2 Cal Custom scoops on the bat wing air cleaner. Details count."
    Those were the same in the lead photo with the Joker driving it but apparently got changed along the way with a lot of other stuff; Body gold was repainted yellow, Joker stickers and bulb horn removed, Batwing air cleaner painted black from gold. Wood hood sides swapped out (originals look like 1960's interior paneling that just may have lit on fire). Interior "fur" changed from red to green (why???).

May have been the first Rat Rod.:rolleyes:

38 mopar_fan and Terrible80 like this.
  11. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Someone at the Petersen Museum may know details on the recent history of the car and why the changes were made. I'm currently investigating. Won't help much with the build.

12. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

IMG_2783.JPG I'm also wondering what those chrome things are sticking out of the front and back of the Batwing air cleaner. They remained intact when used as the Jokermobile. IMG_2678.JPG

13. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2668.JPG Also wondering what kind of funky fabric/material they used to cover the doors. They really put some crazy stuff on this car.

14. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd wager the things on the A/c are drawer pulls.

Hollywood-East and big duece like this.
  15. SASROD

SASROD

The seats/surfboard things and the graphic stickers on them change in almost every photo.

38 mopar_fan likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, definitely drawer pulls. Common to use on custom made grilles but odd to see on an air cleaner as wing nuts. Here's a whole bunch used in a '62 Chrysler grille hanging on my office wall.

20171209_135434.jpg

big duece likes this.
  17. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd think when it came time to replace the fur interior, somebody woulda said, "Gee, while we're at it, maybe we should do something about these misfit plywood hood sides." I mean, even a little paint would help.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  18. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

The stickers on the seat back originally were related to the surfboard manufacturer.

IMG_2787.PNG

Then they were covered for the Elvis movie with plain covered stickers and then covered again without noker sticlers when used in the Batman show.

Drawer pulls! Yes that's what that is. Thank you.

Looks like they just slapped this car together with whatever was laying around.

Anyone seen that fancy fabric or Naugahyde?

19. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

IMG_2682.JPG With all the stickers removed I think the underlying surf board label survived underneath. Above is the mongrel when it was first done showing the surf board labels.

nailhead29A likes this.
  20. That's a negative on the Cragar wheel. All slot, no dot. Could be a Superior.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. a version of MT medallions?
    mt.jpg

22. redo32

redo32

I'm thinking that's a made up wheel. Chrome rim and painted center... no backspacing to get clearance for the body.

23. Toner283

Toner283

I think it might be these. Best pic I could find. I think I have a picture of the car straight on the side showing the wheels but it is on my computer home not on my phone. The gentleman who owns that car told me that they are a fairly scarce produced wheel, not a custom made rim. He did tell me who made them but it was fairly late at night at the jalopy jam up this past summer and I do not recall exactly who he said made them.

Attached Files:

24. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Although the view is limited these may in fact be the same wheels. If you could post the picture of the car straight on from the side I'd really appreciate it. I have my doubts that they would have made up a custom wheel to use on the Mongrel.

25. Toner283

Toner283

The gentleman who owns the car built it as it sits in 1961. Wheels included. He did say that they were a relatively mass-produced wheel. The rear wheels are the same center with a different width rim and deep offset. I will have a look for the side on picture when I get home. However it will be several hours before I could post it as I am at work right now.

26. Toner283

Toner283

Ok, good news/bad news. I cannot find the straight on the side shot that I thought I had however the picture I do have is a very high DPI so you can zoom in on it.

The picture that I posted before was one I grabbed off of the net. I attached the original pic that I took to this post as well as a cropped zoomed in view of just the front wheel.

The gentleman who owns it I believe his name is Robert and the car is from Quebec and as I said it has been built the way it sits since 1961 other than it has been repainted. Pretty cool guy that owns it. He had told me that there were several different hubcaps that would fit on the Wheel. The steel center is about a quarter inch thick so they are pretty heavy duty wheel. I know that Jeff Norwell had talked to him extensively at the show and could maybe tell you who made the wheels or give you some contact info for the gentleman who owns the car.

Hope this was helpful.
    20171213_015859.jpg 20171213_015815.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    lothiandon1940 and Squablow like this.
  27. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Toner283 Thank you so much for your help. With the higher resolution you can see the hub much better. While there are many wheels with similar slots, the hub is very unique and looks like a match. The time period is correct too. At this point it pays to pursue this further. How. An I get in touch with Jeff Norwell to see if he knows who made these wheels or if he has contact info for the gentleman who owns the car?

28. BatRestorer

BatRestorer
    from New Jersey

Does the symbol on the hubcaps have any significance to the wheel manufacturer?

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those hubcaps are ‘33 or’34 Ford. I’m thinkn’ those wheels might have been made by a company called Tacoma Wheel.

30. Toner283

Toner283

Jeff is on here with the screen name Jeff Norwell. He is a great dude and I'm sure he will help you if he can.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/jeff-norwell.1566/