Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone identify these mystery wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Can anyone identify these mystery wheels? They are 16" by 5" with a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. The outer bell is integral to the wheel. One guess is from an early Jeep.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jimray23

Jimray23

Looks like the 1940's smothie. Back then you could get them for almost anything. They looked really good on full size cars.

Jim

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jimray23

Jimray23

Like these but were painted[​IMG]

Jim

4. MOPAR something,with peg holes,,?

5. what he ^^^^said.....30's Desota or Imperial ?

6. Crankhole

Crankhole

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

1939 Willys Overland

8. I should also mention that I have seen Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge wheels and they have the same look with the big bell but it is all one piece with a bigger hubcap hole where the wheels above have a weird separate bell welded on top of the inner wheel. So that's why I think the Imperial hubcap looks too big for the hole in the wheel and the bell on the wheel looks shallower.
    [​IMG]
    Look at this pic of the Willys, it looks like the hubcap is more the appropriate size. I was told they might be for an early Jeep so the Willys car kind of makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks to both of you for your help. I am always amazed at the collective wisdom of the HAMB. Its like we are all archeologists digging around in the history of old cars from years ago trying to figure out what's what!

9. Another few pics I found.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love these old Willys pics, especially this one.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  10. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Willys cars were 5 on 4.5 if five lug. otherwise they were four lug...

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Oh, oh!!!! I guess the search is still on! I just figured they would be the same as the Jeep. Do you remember if the Willys have those 5 small locating holes? I'd like to see if a Willys hubcap would fit it.

12. Anyone else have any suggestions???

13. Jimray23

Jimray23

1941 ford[​IMG]

Jim

14. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Jimray, they are not Ford wheels. Stop posting pics of old Fords.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I do not think they are Willys Jeep wheels. I have had several early Jeeps CJ 2/CJ3 and later models too. None had wheels like these, nor do the Military MB models. Jeeps used lug studs in the hubs and axles and had no need for the locating pin holes. Nor did any of them use a hub cap that would work with that additional 'ring' in the center.

Mopar of some sort would be my best guess......

Ray

16. 73RR

73RR

Maybe alter the search criteria a wee bit...the 'peg-hole' is used to hang the wheel on the drum so that bolts could be inserted into the hub...so consider which cars used bolts instead of studs.
    Also, consider what type of cap is used that may have needed the 5 holes in the outer ring. That may be the deciding factor.

Hnstray likes this.