Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Can anyone ID this roadster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TWKundrat, Oct 5, 2017.

1. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

I have this photo that was with some old photo's of my grandpa's '32 roadster (posted on this other thread if you're interested https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...o-on-40s-hot-rodder-powell-dickerson.1076490/).

I guess this roadster could have belonged to my grandpa (Powell Dickerson), but I doubt it. I though this car was unique enough that someone might recognize it with the channeled body, Duvall windshield, custom hood, and motorcycle fender brackets.

I'd guess the photo was taken in the L.A. area probably in the late 40's. I tried looking up "Howard & Covey" that's the name on one of the store fronts in the background, but I didn't come up with anything. I'll be interested to see if any of you guys recognize the car.

-Tim

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      169.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. redo32

redo32

I looked at the picture of your grandpa and I'll bet the roadster behind him is this car. Program lists #567 as Paul Swanson. It appears to be a 5 window with the top cut off.

3. redo32

redo32

I thought the bulge in the grille was familiar & found these pictures of the Max Balchowski car that he road raced i download.jpg Jimmy-summers-1932-ford.jpg 400px-Max-Balchowsky-1932-ford-4.jpg i n the 50's with a Buick nailhead. The car was built by Jimmy Summers in 1941 and sold to Fred Vogle who sold it to Max.

catdad49, Atwater Mike, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  4. redo32

redo32

5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Damn, that was quick! That's why I love this site. Nice detective work redo32.

-Tim

Stogy, WTF really and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Is it just me or does the first photo you posted look like it could be the same setting as my photo from a different angle?

-Tim

Stogy and porkshop like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's it!!! Love them sports rods! Gary

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

My avitar wants his roadster back!

Stogy and 302GMC like this.
  9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

that's the first thing I noticed....

Stogy likes this.
  10. skirtless33

skirtless33

Check what looks like three tire marks on ground on left side of car. Looks like sane location.

Stogy and TWKundrat like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Very cool, neat picture to add to the history of an already somewhat known car, nice that you were able to match it up and share it. It's great when this stuff surfaces and isn't just lost to the ages.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Also a hell of a metalwork talent that could make that outer grille trim band form to the modified shell like that, and the slick one piece (?) hood too. That would be tough to replicate even today.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. I noticed the "monogrammed" nerf bars on each of the last photos...S for Summers, V for Vogle! That could date the two photos....

BTW, It DOES look like the OP's car of question!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  14. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Looks like there's even the same piece of garbage behind the left rear tire in my photo and the first one redo32 posted. I'm convinced they were taken in the same exact spot near the same time. It would be cool if we could figure out the location.

Stogy likes this.
  15. redo32

redo32

Does anybody know the location of Jimmy Summers shop?

Stogy likes this.
  16. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Found it! On kustomrama (http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Jimmy_Summers) They have the address for Jimmy Summers shop at 7919 Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles. I checked on google and it looks like there is a senior center where the shop used to be. Sure enough, when I looked at the street view the building in the background of redo32's first picture is right across the street! The address for that building is 7916 Melrose. Thanks for helping solve this one fellers.

-Tim

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Looks like Melrose Ave. in the background of redo32's photo looking south and Fairfax Ave. in the background looking east in my grandpa's picture.

Stogy likes this.
  18. KKrod

KKrod

It sure looks like those photos were taken prewar. Notice the cars in the background.

Stogy likes this.