Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone ID this LA dealership my '50 came from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chop50chevy, Oct 9, 2010.

1. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

Here is what is left of the dealership sticker on the firewall of my '50 Chevy. Can anyone identify it? Maybe someone has one in better condition they could post a pic of. I am thinking of finding or making a reproduction of this sticker, if I can get enough info.

Any help is appreciated.

C50C[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under Chevrolet, I can make out:

SALES AND SERVICE _____one FEderal

Any ideas one why the FE is in caps, and the rest isn't?

2. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Could it be Courtesy Chevrolet?

3. oldstriper

oldstriper
    Member Emeritus

Courtsey Chevrolet...the FEderal is a phone #. Later located in Santa Ana too.

4. Courtesy Chevrolet
    Number one Parts, Sales and Service Phone FEderal ______
    _______at Wescott Los Angeles

The FE is the phone exchange (first two digits of their phone number); i.e. FEderal 23890, which would be 332-3890. That's how that was done then. Bolded is what I believe is the missing elements.

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

COURTESY CHEVROLET
    SALES AND SERVICE Phone FEderal (FE-XXXX)

DD

6. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

You guys are fast and sharp. Many thanks! Hadn't thought about the old way listing phone numbers, a phone that doesn't fit in your pocket will be as foreign to the next generation as that is to me. Heard of it, but before my time!

Funny, now it is hard to see anything but Courtesy when I couldn't make it out before.

7. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

If we could here the little chevy speak about the adventure to NY I bet it would be a cool story!

8. Courtesy Chevrolet not only relocated to Santa Ana but they are still there. Big in performance parts at good prices

9. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

No_Respect - I would love to know the story, too. Here are the pieces I can tell ya. The rest we may never know...

I bought the Chevy in '95 while in still in college. I have worked on it in fits and starts while finishing college, first job, marriage, kids, first house bought and sold, second house (with a real garage), etc. and am now getting some good momentum.

According to the title (if I'd only thought to look there first for the dealer name) it was delivered on 7/22/1950 to the original buyer, with an LA address. It was then titled in Wellsboro, PA on 10/8/1951. That is the area I got it from, but the links between are missing.

How I ended up with it is actually a decent story. I was looking for a new project. Dad knew about an auction that was putting up a '52 Dodge P/U. I told him to go up to $250 if he thought it was worth it, I had to work that day. He shows up at my work around lunch with a big ol' grin on his face. "Did you get the truck?," I asked? Nope, he shows me an ad. Something along the lines of "1950 Chevy and 1941 Plymouth. Floors good. $400 or best." Dad owned at that time a '41 Plymouth and a '50 Chevy. I wanted his '50 which was available, but out of my price range. He wanted a better decklid for his '41. He bought them and sold me the '50 for half his investment. He swapped decklids and sold the '41 for a little gain, which was a decent builder. The '50 was a complete car, but mostly in boxes. I sold the engine and trans for more than I gave for the car. Now my dad is working on a '52 Dodge Pilothouse, I wonder if it might be the one from the auction he never made it to.

C50C

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  10. you should contact the dealer and i bet they have some kind of photo album showing the sticker. bet there is a senior salesperson that might even have one stashed somewhere.

11. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

Good idea. I already googled them... looks like there are many Courtesy Chevrolet dealerships in the US. San Jose is the closest I could find. I may contact them. They will probably ask how much I can afford each month before giving me a price on the sticker.

C50C