Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can anyone id this? Front end?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 210superair, Aug 24, 2020.

1. 210superair

210superair

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

Model A, and no, not a good deal

3. 210superair

210superair

What's a realistic offer?

4. That was here last week as a small boat trailer . 16 inch wires are probably rusted inside. Fiver each for the hubcap and trim.

5. alchemy

alchemy

The wheels look to be the homemade 16" style. Like they cut the spokes out of the 18" wheels and welded them to some 16" rims. They are junk. Maybe the $40 axle and the $40 wishbone can be saved after cutting all the rest of the junk and welded-on steering from it.

jimgoetz and ClarkH like this.
  6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The values from @alchemy are spot on. You can find complete A front suspensions in the hamb classifieds (not welded) for ~$200, and that's the gotta-have-it-now price. Swap meet price is even less.

7. I believe the A wishbone had a "drop" in the end at the ball???? My memory isn't helping me right now but if that is the case then this could be a 32-34 bone......

rusty valley likes this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

Tim is correct, a 32-34 wishbone would be straight near the ball end, not have the arch like an A. really hard to say in the photo which it is

9. My almost non-existant computer skills are getting beter.
    Enlarged photo shows what look like genuine Ford spokes / welds on those 16 inch wheels.
    wire 1.jpg wire 2.jpg wire 3.jpg

10. Fordors

Fordors

1EB600CF-1566-4406-8A07-325114F41535.jpeg

The ball end forging has a completely different look, shown is a ‘32 wishbone end and the ‘33-‘34 is similar.

rusty valley likes this.
  11. rusty valley

rusty valley

good info above^^, the axle is model A for sure, can even see the steering arm on the spindle. wish bone not likely changed, and still A too. if the tires are still holding air, not full of water, wheels may not be rusted to death, but you would not know until you got in there. wish i could get 500 for junk trailer axles here!!!

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are two different forged ends on the model A wishbone don’t remember the year split for them. Most likely all Model A parts on that frontend

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

OK--so here's another trailer with a Model A axle as seen in South Glastonbury this morning. I realize the picture isn't very good as I took it from my truck as I followed it and as you can see, rain was falling. The trailer is a "Tobacco Rig" used to haul cut broadleaf tobacco out from the field to be hung in the barn. This tobacco is used for cigar wrapper and there are numbers of these rigs made up from all kinds of old auto axles and such. While this is being pulled by a tractor, in the past they were often pulled by "Doodebugs" or cut down old cars.

Sorry I couldn't get the picture to better show the wishbone etc.

tobacco rig.jpg

tb33anda3rd and adam401 like this.
  14. ...Ive got the twin to that one...
    mt morris ad trailer 027.jpg mt morris ad trailer 031.jpg mt morris ad trailer 024.jpg

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HA! I remember that trailer (not kidding)!