Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can anyone ID these wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jettwein, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jettwein

jettwein

From the Coker catalog. I'm buying tires & wheels - trying to work backward from the tires. (maybe that's a bad way to go?) Never done this before...

http://www.coker.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=18363&cat=366&page=1

I really like the look of these for the truck I'm building, and the wheels look like exactly what I was thinking. Called Coker and the guy said they don't carry the wheels - just the tires.

I was thinking of getting the 600-16 Firestone NDT and then whatever 16" wheels are appropriate for that tire. Width of wheel should be about +- 1" of the tire tread width, correct?

2. alchemy

alchemy

40 Ford wheel = 4"
    48 Ford wheel = 4.5"
    some 50ish Ford trucks = 5" wheel

3. jettwein

jettwein

Ok... so would i be ok to use a 5" wide wheel with a 600-16 tire with 5.3" treadwidth? It would seem so...

I'd like to use the '40 Ford wheel because they seem to be easier to find, but I don't really have a huge preference. I just need something that'll work.

4. I think that's possibly an old WWII or Korean War era Army Jeep type wheel. I have an old rusty one like that in the back yard with that same type of old military type tire on it. I think the bolt pattern is 5 on 5-1/2" hole circle. It's a piece of junk, but I didn't have the heart to throw it away because it looks pretty cool with that chunky style tread on it. The tire on mine is exactly like the one in the picture.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Currently running some 700-16 Firestones on a pair of '48 4.5" wheels. No problems.

6. jettwein

jettwein

Thanks! Is backspacing likely an issue?

7. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

WW2 or early 50's military Jeep, I believe that you can get repo's, I saw an ad for a place that does parts to restore the military jeeps in a magazine I think called Military Internation, I think I still have the magazine I'll look and see if I can find it.

36RRC