Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone I.D. these aluminum heads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, Mar 12, 2017.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hi all, I just saw these heads for sale and was wondering what brand they are? Ford flathead obviously but? Thanks, Lippy

Attached Files:

2. I can't help you with identifying the brand but they appear to be wall-hangers. The water passages are eroded so badly, especially at the rear of the head, that I don't think you could ever get them to seal properly. Just one man's opinion.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll just throw this out there. There was a discussion on the "Ford Barn" about this same subject a while back. A couple of well respected posters who have built a lot of engines posted that they used a product called "DevCon" to fix problems like this with great success. I guess it's made for just such tasks and is better for this purpose than JB Weld.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Nothing that a good shop that does crack repair and rebuilt cylinder heads can't fix.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

I know of this stuff being used in the heavy industrial trades (locomotive shop). It's some serious stuff in the industrial form. A buddy & I rolled up a small ball of it one day, and stuck it on the dusty, vinyl dash of our beater shop truck, just to see how it would stick. 24hrs later, pulled a chunk of vinyl out removing it.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool I know they can be repaired but what are they? They kinda look like Edmonds but why would someone mill the names off. Are they something J.C. Whitney or someone sold? Lippy

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a couple of sets of Edmunds 8BA heads, but I don't think those are them. Just a hint : back in the day, all sorts of strange companies (Sears, J C Penney, etc.) sold speed equipment. None of us would be caught dead with a set of "Allstate" heads on our cars. A friend of mine found a set and immediately ground the name off.

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thanks guys I think I will buy them for the hell of it. :) Lippy

9. alchemy

alchemy

I was thinking Edmunds too. Maybe they are the super-duper Edmunds Custom?

10. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I'll add on to the "They look like Edmunds" pile.
    heads 002.jpg heads 003.jpg

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure they're Edmunds. I like Edmunds heads because they have the plug located just enough lower on the heads that they clear the valve, which allows extended tip plugs to be used. If you look closely at the fin located on the front of the passenger side head (right by the distributor hold down bolt hole), I think you can see the difference in spark plug location. On the Edmunds heads, that fin points right at the top edge of the park plug hole, while on the "unknown" set, that fin points to the middle if the spark plug hole. It's not much (about 1/4"), but you can see it easily in comparing the two pictures. It's enough so the plug clears the valve. Now Edmunds may have made a series of 8BA heads with the plugs in the conventional location, but I've never seen any.

However, the oil filter mounting holes look suspiciously "Edmunds-like" to me. Perhaps made by Edmunds for someone else or by the same foundry? A mystery for sure.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Pair of Edmonds heads I have for my Model A
    [​IMG]
    Closer look at each .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]