Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can anyone help with diagram/photos of Simca Vedette ashtray.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sandgroper, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG Hi everyone. Just got my hands on a 59 Simca Vedette, made in South Australia by Chrysler. Problem is it has been "customised" inside and needs returning to old school cool. I have the original ashtray compartment but suspect the dashboard has been a bit hacked and filled to fit a stereo there. I can't figure out how the door to the compartment worked ie hinged or stayed open/closed. Photos of a unmolested one particularly the sides of the dashboard hole would help heaps.
    I've been lurking a while and know you like photos so here are a few. It's my daily driver.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now it's 7:27 PM in Sydney so maybe some the guys there will show up.

rudestude likes this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

4. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. If you're on Facebook, there's a Vedette Custom page you could ask on.

6. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Don't do Facebook, can barely find my way around this site lol. Will ask one of my kids to help with that. Thanks James D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Was this car made in France and exported to Australia? I have lots of French car enthusiast friends and I am over at Retromobile Paris in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

9. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0063.JPG This is what I have got. Planning to remove ashtrays and lighter and re fit the front cover. Will mount air conditioner controls behind it when I work that out.

10. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

hi Blackjack, it was actually made by Chrysler Australia in Adelaide South Australia. It's RHD. They imported knock down kits and assembled them here. Not a common car here though they sold a few. Still a few around but this was the first one I had ever seen. Had a Simca on the farm when I was a kid but think it was an Aronde. Any contacts in France would be gold as I think parts are not going to be easy.

11. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

12. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

The old girl is a bit confused lol...... Ford designed - Simca manufactured - Chrysler assembled - now GM Buick powered.

13. Sharp looking car.

14. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Thanks Texas Webb, USA iron is pricey over here, pommy or European is a lot cheaper way into the way of life. Even Aussie holdens are priced stupid now. Wish I'd kept a lot of cars I have had.:( I think I can make a traditional cruiser out of this one.

15. Bonjour, wait, G'day mate.:D Nice car :cool:, Here,s my Simca collection. 160 kph dash unit:eek: and an old V8 hubcap :rolleyes:.
    100_7827.JPG SIMCA 1.JPG

16. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0313.JPG
    Hey Gaz, G'day mate, I would kill for that dash. In fact I would kill for a complete RHD dash panel to fix some of the mods done to mine. If any WA (Australia) members know where a paddock has one returning to the earth I would be stoked. Would love to get a parts car, that I could build into a coupe eventually. As you can see the dash was filled below the instruments where the heater vent and other controls were. Planning to replace with old switches from something else. The GPS above the dash is a necessary evil here with the speed cameras. Converting miles to kms will get you a ticket every time lol.

17. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

James D likes this.
  18. Alpine1

Alpine1

Hi Sandgroper,
    Assume you have sorted your compartment lid in the 12 months since you posted.
    Happened on your posts when googling Vedettes in Australia as I've been trying to find one for a while now.
    My folks has a 58 (French assembled) black and cream one, Vic Reg GXE 350, from 59 until traded on an XL Falcon in 63.
    Yours looks superb. Have had in the back of my mind that if I ever found one a Rover 3500 (Buick) engine would be a possibility and am wondering whether that is what you have. Also is yours auto or do you have a Celica gearbox?
    Also be interested in what brakes and steering you have.
    Sorry for the 3rd degree but your ride sounds exactly like what my dream would be, pretty envious really!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike, Melbourne

19. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Hi Mike, will pm you, don't want to get too off topic on here.

Regards Paul

20. Alpine1

Alpine1

Thanks Paul, appreciate that.

Mike

21. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Did it work?