Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone help ID the steering box in this photo?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rbrewer, Sep 22, 2020.

1. New guy here, trying to learn as much as I can- I got this photo from Pat Ganahl's latest "New post on Pat Ganahl's Rod and Custom"- retro rodding article.
    Any help / details and/or other photo's of this type of steering box would be appreciated.
    Thank you

(link to the article here Retro006.jpg https://patganahl.com/2020/09/21/retro-rodding/)

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't tell from the photo exactly what it is, but that trunion style mount was used in late 30s early 40s Chevy pickup trucks.

rbrewer likes this.
  4. VW bus also used this mount style.Was used a bit in the 1970"s on rods.

rbrewer likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

The chevy truck box that mounted sort of like that, has the cover bolts on the other side of the box...so that's not it.

rbrewer likes this.
  6. Not VW bus either, although similar mounting. I have one in my coupe....very different.

rbrewer likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top is a Gemmer box for a 32. Second is a Gemmer 2 tooth Model A box. Bottom is a 33 box that someone posted here on the Hamb. My guess is that the box in question is a Gemmer box that someone cut the flange off and mounted with a clamp to raise it up above the frame on that car.
    32 Box. (2).jpg Gemmer 2 tooth box for A.jpg 33 Box.jpeg

redoxide, rbrewer, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Thank you for your help !!!

9. Andy

Andy

It is maybe off a farm tractor. I have seen boxes mounts like that on tractors

flatford39 likes this.
  10. KKrod

KKrod

Looks like a 30's steering box. The roadster was put together in the 1942 era per Pat's article.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. A steering off a John Deere " L" is real close to that, they are a Gemmer box like a 32, and have a mounting bracket like that. I bought a 27 T roadster years ago and it had one on it, steered like a 32 box not that great but bearable. They don't have a mast jacket, but any Ford tube will fit.

Attached Files:

RMR&C and Hnstray like this.