Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods can anyone help Billings Montana

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firemansteve, Apr 16, 2017.

1. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Im wanting to buy a 47 Diamond T truck cab and front sheet metal thats located in Roundup Montana and get it shipped back to Australia via Longbeach California, the cab is still mounted on the chassis but engine and gearbox have been removed. I would need someone to remove the cab from the chassis with the front sheet metal and transport it to California.I have one week to let the owner know if Im going ahead with the purchuse.
    If anyone is interested or knows someone who could help me out and how much they would charge could they please let me know.Would not matter if it took a few weeks to get to LA

2. Bump for the west coast folks.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Seller won't help for some extra money??
    Good luck with it.

jeffd1988 likes this.

4. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

Seller is unwell so can't do it, it's also the reason he's selling it

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Any Billings area Hambers out there?

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If you can't find anyone, I'd try finding a salvage yard there that might help.

turboroadster likes this.
  7. First Put billings Montana In the title
    To Get a hamber from the area

Second, if no contact get a shipping company or towing company. There are some who won't do the job but there are some that will perform that personal service

8. jrsvaren

jrsvaren
    from hardin,mt

I'm 45 miles from Billings, but, only 4 days since total shoulder replacement ! I'll check with a couple friends to see of they may have a suggestion or 2.

9. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Let's see if anyone else has an idea.

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Take a look at Billings area Craigslist. https://billings.craigslist.org/
    Look for possibly a local mobile welder or heavy equipment repair mechanic. Many are equipped with rigs that have lift cranes. Torch the cab bolts, strap and lift.

Is the seller selling just the cab and front sheet metal or is he selling (you're buying) the whole truck, but you're just after/shipping the cab/clip?

If you are able to hire someone local (handyman, mobile mechanic) to simply unbolt the cab from the chassis, does the seller have equipment (tractor, loader, etc.) on site to lift the cab once a hauler arrives?

If you're buying the whole vehicle, and can't find labor to separate the cab in remote Billings, you can hire a car hauler to winch on the entire rig and haul it to the greater Los Angeles area where you stand a better chance of finding someone (HAMBer) to separate the cab. I assume you have a contact that you work with in Long Beach for your container work at that end? Perhaps they can hook you up with someone to do the labor in LA?

Lastly, you may try U Ship to see if anyone heading to LA with room in a truck is interested;
    http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/c..._-_exact-_tm&gclid=CIfBhpyTrdMCFYeTfgodUmcGRQ

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

On another forum there is a poster from Australia, mad as a cut snake, about some new rules about asbestos inspection for imported antique automobiles. Fines are $5k etc etc. I suppose you are aware of this? His purchase, or some of them anyway, is in some limbo or bureaucratic hell by now.

And no, to answer your question, nobody can help Billings, MT.

13. drumyn29

drumyn29

I have family in Billings but no one is a mechanic. I do know some affordable transport guys if that helps.

14. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

The owner is selling the rolling truck, with the motor and gearbox already removed but Im only after the cab and front clip. I think shipping the complete truck to LA to have it removed there would be way to expensive and make it unviable.
    drumyn29 if you could find out approx. what it would cost to have it shipped and let me know that would be great

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If it were closer I would be up for the project of removing the cab. Sorry Round up is about 8 hours away.

16. drumyn29

drumyn29

Similar to this size chassis?

Attached Files:

17. bet the local auto parts store could recommend someone local.

18. Perhaps a local towing company can get the truck to their yard. Once there Chop the rear chassis off and dummy up a rear axle so it's a cab sized roller. Anyone can load it and haul it now to your shipper.

I'm sure you want the cab off and front clip stuffed inside of it for the smallest package, right? Don't you still need get the chassis off the guys property?

59Apachegail likes this.
  19. firemansteve

firemansteve
    from AUSTRALIA

that's right the smaller the package the better, it will be put into a container and they charge by the cubic meter when shipping,

20. studemaker

studemaker

Its my truck, but I am in end stage emphysema, and can't do shit to help him break it down. Hope some local HAMBers can help him out. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    1964countrysedan likes this.
  21. Welders in Roundup, MT:

Bartow Welding Inc
    Roundup, MT
    (406) 323-2532

Don's Muffler Welding & Mach
    Roundup, MT
    (406) 323-1268

Jim

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Sorry to hear that. You probably know the local area the best. Is there a scrap yard that might do it?

23. studemaker

studemaker

Thanks, no scrap yards here, and the above welders are no longer in business. Its been tough locating help for him here. My hometown is slowly dying.

24. ken bogren

ken bogren

25. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Aren't all of the small towns. The farms and ranches get bigger with fewer people to work on them so fewer services are needed and no jobs available. At least we kept this up where somebody might else see it.

Hudson31 likes this.
  26. phat rat

phat rat

Google shows Roundup had a population of just under 1800 people in 2010. I would think that Studemaker has greater knowledge of what's available in the area than any of us

27. That's true to a certain point.
    There's stuff in my home town that I'm completely unaware of. So I'm sure it's the same every where to some extent.

28. mdcolby

mdcolby

1948 Diamond T 509 on Craigslist Seattle in Hobart Washington is an interesting deal at 2500$ ad number 6082092035