Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a Hot Rod have fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Well, I am back on search for a project now that i have a little money saved. Was leaning very hard towards a 48-50 chevy PU (its the SO What truck posts fault) but I still would love to have something old.. So I am also leaning towards a 28-31 Model A sedan or coupe (thou much harder time time)... As I think about one I am leaning towards a full fender hot rod with no hood, chrome reverse wheels, cheater slicks, SBC or ?? with a few carbs and if I do a sedan, possible a Deuce style top insert in white..

So can a Hot Rod have fenders.... when I look around there are mostly fenderless (I know I can build what ever I want,,, its mine) but I would like the opinion of other HAMBers... anyone have any cool full fendered hot rod pics...

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

??????????????

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

manyolcars.. I see I confused you with all the talk....

I was just looking for folks opinions on whether a hot rod can have fenders.. Lots of my friends say that a hot rod should not have fenders....

4. Yea, they're just not called fenderless.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

A. Get new friends
    B. See pic below.

Dad's 36 in 1960.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's the motor.

7. Welp, I don't want no steenking fenders on my hot rod. BUT! I realize fender laws are sometimes a local issue with different degrees of enforcement and punishments. In my state the fender law simply states that you cannot be a danger to other motorists by throwing mud and water with open wheels. Alas, I paraphrase but you get the idea...no clear-cut state fender law! Now, that said, you can get in trouble in several areas of Nebraaska for running fenderless due to local statutes. Yeah! In Auburn Ne., you better have fenders or you're gonna get written up..it's well know and we don't go there unless we got fenders in place..
    In the Rocky 33, I didn't mind hitting the ocassional water puddle but my buddy Steve [FlyinJ1 on the HAMB] drives a non-fendered 34 Chevy tub with no top and he HATES getting slimed when the tires throw up road skung. He even went so far as to build a top for his tub but after he got it all finished, he was too tall to fit in the damn car. Check the photo to see what I mean....Big, ain't he?
    Anyway, Boones.....build it without fenders if your laws allow it. If you don't like it, fender it later. Hell, I even have a full set of fenders for the Rocky 36 sitting up in my rafters.......just in case.

Attached Files:

8. dusty

dusty

Seems like in some areas of the country, back in the day, you didnt have much choice if you didnt want hassled by Joe cop. You may have gotten by with motorcycle fenders but Im sure some of the cops wouldnt stand for that ruse. So if its your pleasure, go for it! Had it not been that Im knee deep into my coupe project, I would have bought an early 60s 31 coupe w/hemi and it had fenders, small but still had em. It was an east coast car.

9. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I like fenders on a hot rod if you get the correct tire and rims to put the wheels up in the fenders so it does'nt look like a four wheel drive. If you put the front right on the ground the fenders just make it look that much lower imo. Thats why my radiator gravel guard is all bent up at the bottom. It's all about stance and the fenders just accentuate the correct stance. What do I know....do what YOU like!!! [​IMG]

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What do fenders have to do with it????

Bill

11. Tony

Tony

Boone's,
    Here's a pic of my truck (again [​IMG])
    'A' fenders, chrome steelies, sbc,etc....
    [​IMG]

I think it's a hotrod..... with fenders.
    but thats just my oppinion [​IMG]

Rat....

12. I'm all set to go fenderless with my 33, and then Rat goes and posts a pic of his truck again [​IMG]

13. gowjob29

gowjob29
    from Tucson Az.

I have a 29 and the first thing I told the old guy when I bought it was that I was going to chop it and rip all those damn fenders off. He about had a heart attack. lol. I have decided that all I'm going to do is chop it being that the fenders have grown on me. Some cars I think beg to have the fenders off and some just look right with them. I think I would pull them off it was a 30-32 being that the fenders in the front don't seem to mold around the tire. Anyways, this is what mine looks like just so you can see what I mean. I would go with the A, but I'm a little biased [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. metalshapes

metalshapes

Just the first 3 Real Hot Rods with fenders I happened to think of...
    The California Kid, The Milner '32 Coupe, Vic Edelbrock Sr. Deuce Roadster.

15. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Damn Root...lookin' at that pic of your dad and his 36 proves that you have some good hotroddin' genes in ya... [​IMG]

16. Wowcars

Wowcars

Just to add to the practical part of it, keeping fender almost always requires more work, I have yet to see a set of fenders for anything that don't require a good amount of body work, rust repair, tear repair, alignment, etc. Granted, a traditional hot rod CAN look bitchin with fenders, just too much body work for me.

17. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

we have a fender law...but i still like certain cars with fenders...and now it would make your car stand out in a world of fenderless hot rods...i think i'm gonna paint mine blue also

18. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

"I could get a car done a whole lot quicker and cheaper if I left all that extra stuff off. That's why I didn't run fenders...it costs you as much money putting fenders on a car as it does to build a car!" - John Buttera

I actually LIKE fenders on a hot rod, if done correctly, but I see Lil John's point. Finding, shaping and mounting a set of fenders on an early steel rod is no five minute job...and nothing would ruin the lines of an otherwise killer rod than a set of dinged up, hastily mounted fenders tacked on as an afterthought!

There are many cars I've seen with fenders that really looked great, and a great many more that shouldn't have them! If you're gonna run fenders, then make sure you take the time to make them appear to be part of the whole picture...not just a set of cheap-looking mud catchers stolen off your neighbor's utility trailer and stuck on at the last minute!

To answer your question...Yes, I believe a car can have fenders and still qualify as a hot rod...it just takes more work and dedication to pull it off!

19. Boones, don't ask me which one makes a good hot rod ,,,,
    I have a hard time with decisions,,,,,they both work for me. [​IMG] HRP

Attached Files:

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not know.....BOTH of mine have fenders......... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

It's more about what's under the hood if you ask me. A hot rod has to make a statement. Fenders or no fenders. Otherwise it's just a street rod.

22. Chuck R

Chuck R

[​IMG]
    That would be a "YES"

Cal's 33 is the baddest in the land.

Next question.
    Chuck

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ok so it does appear that there is lots of good examples of fendered Hot Rods out there... When I started this post I could only think of several Deuces (some pictured above) but not many Model A (Don's coupe comes to mind)...

A few yrs back there was a yellow full fendered tub from the NW that had painted steelies hanging out the back, lots of carbs and just a plain cool stance.. I was thinking of doing a sedan version of it.. Anyone know what car I am talking about or have a pic (I can not find mine).

24. Tony

Tony

I think i know the one....A youngin' built it if i'm not mistaken.
    SBC with either 4 or 6 two's, yellow wheels with slicks poking out in back, nasty stance and a moon tank out front.
    If thats the one, there was some coverage of it in R/C a while ago.
    Really cool car.

Rat..

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Rat that is the car I was talking about... it was a younger guy.. Take that car and cross it with this one for the look I am thinking about

26. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Notice how the wheels and tires fit up inside the fenders on that '33 coupe?? They need to fit like this to look cool. The running boards also show the rake of the frame and follow the same angle as the hood and chop of the car. When you look at the car all these things blend together and make the car look really low. More so I think than if it were a highboy. It is a lot more work but worth it in my opinion.

27. Tony

Tony

Damn, thats a cool C-dan!
    I can dig what your thinking of..
    The simple " take no prisoner's" stance that yellow tub had would make the C-dan that much better.

Rat....

28. Boones thats a sweet blue 28/29 sedan!

29. I like T&As fenderless and chopped and 32-34 Fords fullfendered and unchopped. But a chopped and fullfendered Model A tudor hits also my taste. All a matter of personal taste I think.

30. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am not sure if that blue A sedan is chopped.. If it is its not much.. I was leaning towards no or little chop (2 inch max)..with a strong rake (since the rear tires may hang out slightly), tucking the front tires.. As for grills, I have a nice chrome A like the blue one but could go deuce..