Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can a car be considered a custom if it hasn't been lowered?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Apr 3, 2012.

1. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

Thanks a lot gentlemen! A buddy of mine has a '59 Olds 4 door sedan and wants to shave the emblems, door handles, and add skirts and dummy spots, I think it'll look fine but he's afraid the "custom police" will label him a wannabe if he doesn't lower it because many say it is all about "stance". I tell him he's the one that's gotta drive it and enjoy it, period.

2. Don't worry about rules or what other people think do what you want.

3. zman

zman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Garner, NC

Funny thing is a lot of guys think laying on the ground is stance, I think it looks broken. A modest 2" drop can make a big improvement without sacrificing drivability.

4. Rocky,
    Up in the NW when I was in high school the proper ride height for a custom or a late model hot rod with bumpers was a Lucky or Camel pack under the front bumper.

I remember getting a '58 Impala ready to show, it was a one week custom and we cut some corners to get it ready. I nosed and decked it, Jose redid the stock red in candy red and blew some pearl over the white. We pulled the roll and pleat seats out of my roadmaster out at the wrecking yard and made them fit.

The night before the show two of use were laying under the front of it, each with a rose bud heating the springs. My full camel pack under the center of the front bumper. All at once Jose hollared stop.

I crawled out and took a look, it was about 3 fingers above the ciggetette pack and I said, "It aint right!!!" he smiles and says, "Esperate, Beaner." (wait for it). So I bounce out to the Ford and grab some beers. While we drank it settled to the cigs and stopped. We all smiled and he says, "perfecto"

That was about 3:00 AM. @ 6:00 we headed out for the show, trunk full of batteries and the back seat full Angel hair to put around it.

We redid the suspension correctly after the show.

But not all mild customs were dropped. The deal with the Impala was all for the show.

The old timers used to say that all hot rods were customs but not all customs were hot rods. Just something to think about.

Jazz,
    If the custom police don't like the ride height what do you think they'll say about the extra doors. :rolleyes:
    Fuck 'em, let em eat worms if they can't take a joke.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. LostHope

LostHope

Like it low, there you go.
    If not, so?
    Then Drive your 4x4 to the show!

Haha couldnt help it!

6. steveb

steveb

Stock ride height on those cars can look good because it's such a large barge.
    [​IMG]
    Not a sedan, but...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeeehaw, vato.
    [​IMG]

7. Mercchev

Mercchev

^^Funny Sheeeeeeit right there...

8. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

You need to define CUSTOM here...or is it KUSTOM...depends on where you're from I guess...
    I believe CUSTOM ( with or without the K ) is what YOU say it is if it's YOUR car! If YOU built it, then YOU have the defining argument. Period!

I don't care what anyone calls my car...I call it MINE!

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER

How many ever notice how low the cars are in OEM advertising? I've stories that range from well placed bags of sand to torched springs, just to set the vibe in the potential customer's mind. So, if the OEM liked em low...

I'll avoid the gratuitous "it's your car and you can do whatever" comment.

10. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

thanks steveb, great pics!

11. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Ever notice how a lowered car seems to photograph better than a non lowered car? I wonder if he photographers did it to produce a better photo as opposed to setting a vibe so to speak. Just thinking out loud...

12. If you shave the handles, french the lights. add skirts its a mild custom. If you make something that is not that way originally and you made it look like it was supposed to be like that. you are getting in the kustom realm.

it does not HAVE to be lowered but it helps.

13. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

well put, sir.

14. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

thanks a lot for all the input, maybe he could cut a coil off each spring without losing too much smooth handling.. i think it looks low enough but thats me..

15. fms427

fms427

In my book, it must not only be lowered, but must be a tail-dragger also !! But, I'm sort of opinionated.....:D

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here are some that have custom running gear and special engines and interiors. Make your own decision.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow! The scales have fallen from my eyes! Reading this has changed my life...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That looks just like my little brother, except for the shoes...

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I think maybe to certain extent yes and to a certain extent no. It helps a kustom to have a good stance, but I dont think the HAVE to be lowered. There are so many cars out there these days that are TOO low and I think they just look stupid.