Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a Big Guy Fit In A Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toad611, Sep 2, 2013.

1. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Been looking for another car and would really like a Hot Rod Coupe. Limited budget so 32 thru 34 is probably out. Looked at a couple Model A's but just don't fit 6' 280. So other than going on a diet is there anyway for a big guy to comfortably fit in a Model A?

2. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I'm 6'6" and 250 and fit in a 28 sedan,no back seats though.:D

3. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

i got a buddy who took a 4 door and made a great 2 door modified out of it. Do a search for
    "scootermcrad" build thread

something similar would be cool. alot of work but cool

4. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Yes i figured it could be done with a sedan but really want a coupe.

5. Toad,
    We are about the same size. I have also been looking, I think a chop for me is out of the question, well at least a heay chop. I've "tried" on a few, and, they are a lot more comfortable if the package tray is removed. If you are set on an "A" how about a Cdan, with the seat set back and dropped as low as possible. Thats what I have
    finally figured out if I want comfort, but then hot rods (especially A's) are just not suppose to be comfy for the big and tall! You could always go with a little less pricey later 30's early to mid 40's model.

Fenderless

6. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I'm mocking up a 26 T coupe and looks like I can fit.

7. :DA shoehorn & some Vaseline sometimes helps

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ex Oakland Raider, Robert Gallery, who's 6'8" 325 lbs. fits in a 32 sedan. No back seat. If he fits in a sedan I really don't think you should have a problem, but an "A" coupe might be a problem.

9. famdoc3

famdoc3

I'm 6 feet and 230. You can fit. Suicide doors, tilt steering wheel, no package tray and no chop. If you need a little more use a Tudor sedan door. Picks you up another 1.5 inches of pure comfort. Didn't use the sedan doors myself but when I was pushing over 240 seemed like it would have been a great idea. MIKE

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I had one.6'2" so it was left unchopped.had back seats for the kids plus the fuel cell was back there. Sold it for a 52 Chevy.more practical for now.

11. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Heck gravity is your friend you can get in BUT getting out will be a little difficult for a coupe. Get a Tudor sedan move the seat back a LOT and you will be fine.

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

In these pictures I was 6"3 and 280 pounds. Car was chopped 4", body on frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fit fine!! :D

13. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

6' 4" In my coupe.
    Unchopped & unchanneled. Stop every hour to stretch!

14. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Im 6ft 1 and 240lbs and just fitted into a mates chopped 28 coupe. It wasnt chanelled tho.

But I have a long body and relatively short legs (Im think I the worlds biggest dwarf) and the chop made it hard for me to see out the front screen.

I also owned an unchopped 26 T coupe and that had waaay more room in it than a chopped 28 Coupe. But you will see that the coupe sat pretty high and I saw the Condor T Coupe and wanted one like that, so sold my one.

Generally speaking, the lower the chassis, the bigger the trans tunnel and the less room you have.

Attached Files:

15. 6' 4" and 230 and I fit in smaller confines than a Model A,,I squeeze in a Deuce Pickup.

I will admit the older I get the harder it is to do the long distance deal in the pickup. HRP

16. Coupes are tight, pickups even tighter, but you can do it with a little creativity. Coupes - lose the package tray. For both, thin but stout foam backs instead of springs and padding beneath the upholstery. more gunny sacks and less padding on the seats, but you'll still appreciate the seat springs. Also, don't be too strident a traditionalist when it comes to tilt columns. I'm 6'2" and I need that column to tilt away when I'm getting in, toward me when I'm driving. Just gotta happen, regardless of what I do with the seats.

17. codeblu

codeblu

Love the early cars, but at 6' 1" 285 I like the room and comfort of a LARGER car. Got a buddy pushing 400 lbs that drives a 32 5W....by himself.

18. Weasel

Weasel

You can be a strident traditionalist when it comes to steering columns. I have a Limeworks column with one of these adjustable column drops from Tri-C Engineering....

[​IMG]

19. Weasel

Weasel

Here's one of Tri-C's adjustable/tilt steering columns in an A roadster....

[​IMG]

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Can you fit? Yes. Will it be comfortable probably not. I drove mine 300 -400 miles but I had to stop after about 100- 150 miles and walk it off for a few minutes. Im 6'0 235
    4 1/2 chop, no channel, minivan seat with package tray.

Attached Files:

21. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....how about something 'coupish'. This is a '30 Chrysler 4 door shortened by taking out the back doors and subsequent roof section. (Scooter did it better because he is a pro and a God and I am a simple hacker).
    Bigger than a Model A cabin and tons more room than a production pickup cab. Because it was a luxury car, it is wider as well and could fit Hulk Hogan, Arnie Schwarzenegger, and many Orca Betties all at once. They're cheap as dirt too....
    [​IMG]

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, you can fit. but, will the car fit you? no fun to watch someone that has difficulty getting in or out, especially on a hot day. either go for a sedan, or Vicky or a stretched body. but, even those are a challenge to get in/out. plus, if you like to shift gears better get a paddle shifter. oh ya, you better not have a twin that wants to ride with you. could look at a '33-'35 Plymouth, etc that has a little more room and cheaper than the Fords.

23. Guess I'm in for a hell of a ride. I'm building a 30 coupe for myself. I'm 6'6" 280lbs. I'm stuffing a 394 in it. Trying to decide whether to reverse the firewall. I think I better stretch the frame a couple inches instead.

24. chubbie

chubbie

A friend of mine is 6 foot 13" and i've had him in my A sedan twice he bitched about his head against the roll bar. its a 3" chop

25. I'm 6' 6" and all of 400 and at 300 their was no way. Went for a ride in a friends 5w 32 and it will never happen again,too small and ride like shit! When the guys that own them tell you they stop every hour to stretch and get the feeling back in their legs and feet they are serious.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I saw a guy at The Houston Burnout last year and he was folded into a chopped, channeled bobber. It was the funniest thing I'd seen in years. You could tell his driving range was maybe 25 miles before he had to get out and stretch.

But, I guess if it's about looking cool, nothing says cool like using a cane because you're too big for your car. Maybe get a cool cane OR loose weight. Your heart will thank you.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Please don't.:D

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

6'2 275 I fit in my Pops A coupe with a 4" chop all day long. He still has a rumble seat if you lost that and use a seat with no risers you could gain a few more inches of head room. It's no Caddillac but it'll do. He's about the same size and we've been able to both ride at the same time, funny looking shit but again it's do able. Fuck building something to drive 10 minutes and rest, Spend some time to make it right Its not that hard.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a bit over 6'2" and 225 driving a stock A pickup. I've become quite used to using the throttle lever for long stretches. Without the rear seat cushion it's almost too far back. I plan to build a plywood based firm foam seat back at least 1/2 the thickness of the OEM cushion. Should be just right. As is I'd hate to drive it too far, and right now it's probably good for close to 2hrs max. Lose the package tray 1st and set the seat back in a coupe, also plan on thin firm custom cushions. It'll never be a luxurious ride/fit.

30. Think sardines in a can my friend.

Height wise you are fine for an A bone, but width wise is going to be another story. Because you are big in both directions I am going to think that ou are looking for a stock roof. I have seen them widened at the back a couple of inches. If you do it wll it is hardly noticable. it can be done and something to think about if you go that route.

Somwething else to think about is an A or T tub. They can be made very roomy and with a carson style top you can drive in the shade.