Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can a 54' Chevy truck look like a 47-53?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Chevrolet, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

I have the opportunity to purchase a solid 54' Chevy pick up. I really prefer the 47-53 but this one is really clean. Can a 2 piece windshield be put into a 54'. Is the dash sheet metal the same just different gauges? The front fenders with the truck look like the 47-53, the corners of the grill opening are square not rounded. Did they make a 53 1/2 by chance. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

The upper cowl, roof leading edge, windshield posts and dash are totally different. If you want to change from the one piece curved glass you will need to replace the entire windshield area and the dash. Removing the dash from one of these trucks involves drilling out a couple hundred spot welds.

Interestingly I changed my two piece windshield to a one piece curved one. I am crazy enough to do it but don't recommend it. I made a bunch of other changes while I was at it.

The Rod and Custom dream truck changed from a two piece windshield to a one piece by installing a '54 cab.

If you really want the two piece windshield finding a different cab may be the way to go.

Hnstray and chopper99 like this.
  3. No. 54s are better looking anyways ;)

4. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Completely dif. truck ,even the box sides differ

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

buy the '54 and don't look back DSCN7047.JPG

chopper99 likes this.
  6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I much prefer the earlier trucks too, though admit the '54 & '55.1's are growing on me.

Depends how exceptional the one you found is. Don't settle is my advice. I wanted a '55.2 big window with a 5 lug conversion and a V8 and I waited (& waited, & waited, & waited) until I found it. Glad I did.

'51 Norm likes this.
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

Just to add to the confusion, my '55 1st series came from the factory with 2 piece windshield, along with RHD. I wouldn't change my grille for anything.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Me and Earl are building a '54 1st series ...

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There's nothing like a split-window AD and if that's what you have your heart set on, pass on the 54. There's plenty of 47-53 ADs for sale, hell, you can even build a complete new one, with all the parts available. And the majority of reproduction parts are for the 47-53 ADs.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Had a 1955 first series up until 1976, sure would like to find another. Bob

11. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the help. Looks like I'll have to leave it where it sits. I really have my heart set on the 47-53 body style. The truck is totally disassembled, the fenders have me puzzled a bit as they sure look like the 47 - 53's. The guy has parts spread all over so it's hard to see what's there. He actually two 54's. One is complete and in not as good a shape as the one that's disassembled. That one for sure is a 54' because it has the grill and everything in it.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lose the big "tooth" in the grille, maybe add a Cadillac center, 54 passenger car front bumper, dropped axle...

Just sayin...

13. LAROKE

LAROKE

Them's fightin' words !

[​IMG]

14. 54s have indentions in the fenders below the headlamp hole for the turn signals in the grill.

15. I don't care for the '54 grill, funny I don't care for the '54 ford grill either. LOL.

You can bolt the earlier sheet metal to the cab, and that will clean up the front, or you can just clean up the front and make the earlier grill fit.

There isn't enough difference in the dash that you could not modify the dash to look the same as the old dash or you could just fill the dash and build it the way that you like.;)

16. you like what you like, but this is so good :)

3518187834_26258105d1_b.jpg

17. chiro

chiro

I have a '55 first series with a '47-'53 nose on it. I actually like the one piece windshield with the earlier sheet metal better.

Andy