Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can a 5 speed in a '32 work w/o cutting frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas4blood, Nov 12, 2009.

1. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Just like the title says, can a 5 speed be fitted into a '32 with no cutting? I know it can be done by whacking on the K member, but I don't want to do that. Any solutions out there? It's a banger powered woodie, so has the truck chassis. The overdrive part would be really nice to have for my drives on the highway. Thanks for any tips.

2. Fogger

Fogger

I've seen a stock '32 with a Muncie 4-speed that required minimal K member cutting. But like the original Ford setup the engine had to be removed to change the clutch ect. You might consider a Columbia rear axle or one of the aftermarket overdrives like tha Mitchell. It won't be easy to put a 5 speed in your car without serious K member mods.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Check with these people. They sell adapters for the late model top loader Ford behind a flathead that requires no frame cutting other than a few bolt holes for their bolt in trans mount. They have T-5 adapters too.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not at all familiar with the setup Tommy mentioned.

Why not change the K member altogether for an aftermarket one instead of cutting up a perfectly good stock K member??
    There is no way to install an T-5 without changing or cutting the K member
    You can buy a K member from Vern Tardell.
    We used his on this frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009

5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Ahhhhh, Don, your Deuce looks a bit modified!:D You'll notice I'm talking no modifications that can't be easily undone. The issue is the really slow cruising speed I have. 50 is top end on my termite delight. It likes 40-45 mph just fine. It's dangerous on the road due to all the folks that cruise 80 mph. I'd like to be able to cruise at 60 in comfort instead of thrashing at 50. I drive it quite a bit, so it makes sense to be comfy and safe. (that is, if a '32 woodie could ever be said to be comfortable!)

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Instead of a 5 speed look for the top loader 4 spd that is a 3spd with 4th gear being an overdrive. That will fit in the deuce chassis with out cutting using the adapter and trans mount from Just 32. Get their catalog. They make a few bolt in parts so that the chassis does not have to be altered.

8. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Tommy,
    what 4speed years and model are you talking about?
    Sounds like an interesting alternative to an early 3-speed.
    TIA
    Michael

9. 31whitey

31whitey

THANKS!!!! Tommy....

Thats a great site....

STOKED!!!!!!

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't know years and models. I know my buddy had one in his 6cy Merc Zepher (Granada) from the 70s. Ford used them in trucks and vans also. They were the hot lick for flatties until the T-5 became so popular.

11. The last of the 4th overs from Ford was in the early 83 Mustang. Mid year is the beginning of the 5 speeds. When you find one, it will probably need parts. I think Ragland gear might still be around. That was one of the few that had parts for that trans.

12. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Give David Kee a call, he's currently converting a 1977-8 Grenada toploder for me to use with a torque tube. Ford briefly made a toploder "imposter" where the third gear location was .81 overdrive. You can then add a jeep top shifter to complete the transmission. You can also PM crazydaddyo about his T-5 torque tube adapter but that would require K-member modification.

Geoffrey

13. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Moonlight Graham - "Don't wink at him, kid."

Great name! Brought a smile to my face.

14. flat34pu

flat34pu

:D im not sure what the measurement are for the '32 frame is compared to the '34 frame, but when the 5 speed was installed in my pickup they just removed the saddle and fabricated the rear tranny mount.
    i can pull my floor and take a pic this afternoon if you like, lost all the other pic's i had of the build when my other computor crashed.
    rich

15. Mart

Mart

I don't know of any overdrive box that will bolt in to a 32 frame without mods to the k-member. I have a srod box here, and it is bigger and beefier than the standard ford 3 speed. The T5's are as big or bigger still.
    Tommy, the mec adaptor is the same as any other out there, it will bolt these trannys to the flatty, but the combo will not fit in an unmodified 32 frame.
    So if anyone does know of a combo that will fit a 32 frame as in gas4bloods original query, I also would like to hear.
    I keep thinking of an overdrive in the torque tube being the best setup for a 32, but never get around to trying to make one.
    Mart.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It's not the engine adapter. It's the trans mount that bolts to the back of the K member that picks up the trans mount on the tailhousing after it passes through the stock hole in the K member without cutting. The top loader trans mount bolts to their special bolt on mount. Notice that all of their products bolt on so the the Deuce frame does not need to be modified beyond a few bolt holes. They also make reproduction 32 V8 front mounts.

Anyone into 32s should have their catalog. It has more stuff that their web site.

There main business is not early Ford parts. As they say "we're only 32" The Deuce parts are a sideline from a Deuce lover.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  17. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the pic, Tommy. I can see what they're doing there.
    What motor would fit in that transmission and still fit in the gap between the k-member and radiator?
    Thanks.
    Mart.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I know it works with the flatty which is what this post is about. You might get a cheaper flathead to late model top loader trans adapter from other people but this is the only bolt on trans mount that I have seen. It can get confusing since some of the young guys like to call a 39 Ford trans a top loader. To us old farts a true top loader was a Ford 4spd from the early 60s. A 39 trans is a 39 trans. :D

They make the off set flatty lower hose connectors too like the ones that you fabbed up for Old Rusty. I don't recognize the bellhousing in the above picture. I'm thinking it's a late model Ford. I don't know much about late model Ford shit.:D

Everything that they make is designed to keep the originality of the Deuce frame intact. They even make cast bolt in front frame reinforcements so that the original frame can be beefed up without any welding. (boxing) That's over kill for me but I don't have any restored original cars.

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It might not be a t5 but I think a Zephyr trans would work with the overdrive. The zepher trans gears fit into a toploader box and the overdrive fits onto the trans.It looks like you'll have to mess with the 32-34 tophat trans mount ,and will know more when I pull it apart. I was wondering if anyone has played with htis set-up. You'll have to cut the TT to fit the OD. I have seen a setup on a 32 a few years ago but didn't get the skinny.

Attached Files:

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

21. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

I just started putting a flathead t-5 into an original deuce chassis and did not want to cut the k-member. I tried making templates and nothing worked out for me. I removed the k-member and installed an original 34 x-member with no saddle. The 34 member fits very nice in the deuce chassis and the front leggs even terminate at the exact mounting location as the front k-member leggs. The 34 member has a wide openning that the t-5 easily fits through. I then made a tranny mount that not only holds the tranny but also acts to stiffen up the x-member. I am going to work on installing 39 pedals that looks to be a pretty easy job. I have also been planning on making a ball socket mount for the unsplit wishbone. Just so you know I have limited tools and this job is really not too bad. I know you said minor modifications but I don't see any way you can do it without heavy mods to the k-member. Good luck if I can do it anybody can.

22. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I put a t-5 in a 32 frame and the crossmember had to be cut like Terrell Owens on a Monday morning!

23. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

go with the mitchel overdrive i have one in my 40 ford its the best setup i can cruz at 65 70 all day

24. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

I have tried to contact 'Just 32' via E-mail a couple of times and have had mail returned, I will try on the phone after the holidays.
    Am I correct in thinking that the four speed Ford Toploader that is most suitable is from an early Falcon or Comet?
    Does that give a better shifter position and a shorter body length?
    Or is the 'overdrive top' style of box a rare and much sought after version.
    Anyone help?