Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can a '29 Ford Speedo be connected to a '61 Powerglide?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NomadJerry, Mar 28, 2009.

1. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

I'm hoping some of you guys and gals have dealt with this before. Seems like it would be a common problem, but I'm a novice on this issue. My newly purchased '29 Ford Hi-Boy has a 1961 Chevy Powerglide and a stock '29 Ford Gauge Cluster. There seems to be a cable hooked firmly into the back of the stock speedo, and the tranny, but the speedo isn't working. I don't hear any noises that sound like a speedo cable binding. I'm willing to take the plunge and buy a restored '29 Speedo ($225), if they will indeed connect and work. It need not be accurate, but something I could estimate my speed from. Does anyone sell the correct cable to run between these two? I know I could change speedo gears at the Powerglide end. Any ideas? Thank you! Jerry:>)

2. Unplug it from the back of the speedo. Drive it and see if the cable is turning.
    Pull the cable off the tranny, put a drill on the cable and let her rip, see is the speedo does in fact work.

3. Any spedometer shop should be able to make you a cable. Be sure the cable is fully engaged in the spedometer drive. If it isn't, you'll need to get a longer cable made.

4. I did this with my 50 Merc with the SBC with the Powerglide
    I measured the Threads on the Tranny and the Speedo & whent to NAPA and got a
    Complete Cable & Hooked it up
    works Fine!

5. I am running a 63 Powerglide and if its off you change the Gear in the Tranny
    go to a Tranny Shop they should have the Gears for it
    Dom.

6. NomadJerry

NomadJerry
    from Near LAX

Thank you guys! All good suggestions! I'll work more on it and see what happens. On the '29 Cluster, I have to pull it out of the "dash" to get access to the back of the speedo. There's a cable secured in there, but who knows if it's even got a cable inside it. Need to delve into it, but it is good to know it can be done. Thanks again!

7. alchemy

alchemy

I'd bet that the stock Model A cable is in your car, and it should screw directly to the Powerglide trans. If the cable is screwed up, try another stock A before you have something else custom made.