Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Can a 1963 Dodge Dart be cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Aug 7, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

When I first read your thread titled I half chuckled. '63 Novas and Falcons can definitely be cool, but Darts? Post 69 answers that in spades.

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

To each his own!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I meant that as a compliment, in case it didn't come out that way... The only thing I might consider would be bigger tires in back.

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Haha, I didn't mean anything bad by my comment either, that's what we get for faceless interaction. Lol I agree it news some taller tires for sure, and I think thu need to
    Be tuck inside the wheel wells . It's not horrible the way it is but it's just not the way I want it. Thanks for your comment I appreciate it. I'm not one who asks for opinions then Cries when I get it.

5. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I got the intake and carb replaced, and I am proud to say she is running excellent! I started replacing se nasty wiring and a dangerous fuel line situation. Got some cleaning up under the hoo a little more then I think it's time to put a manual valve body in the trans. Could use some input on this. Is one better than the other?

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The time has come for
    Me to do the wheels and tires. I plan on a aftermarket wheel up front, thinking a set of Crager SS, or maybe a 5 spoke rim like an ET III either in a 15x4 with either Pro Tracks still need to settle on how tall a tire (any opinions?) And a set of steelies out back with some Towel City Black Wall Cheaters, still need a height but I think I can get a 10.5 wide up in there easy maybe a 11. I'm open for input guys. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377637715.567273.jpg

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you have the bucks go for it but man that thing looks sweet with the wheels that are on it. I'd probably just go way up in size in back with those rims, how wide are they?

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

They are 15x7s all the way around. The 1/4s are perfect original
    No rust, if it was rotted I would but I'm afraid of the tire getting I to
    The quarter. That's my reason for wanting them tucked in the original location on the rear and the fronts are just 2 damn wide lol

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I plan on selling those rims to cover some of the cost. I like the rims but the previous owner just missed the mark size wise when he bought them. Well I think so anyway haha

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377638772.450502.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377638787.670762.jpg

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah 7s are a bit small but you could still get a 9-10 inch tire on them. Do they rub now? When I ran wide tires on my Impala I raised the rear bump stops so it bottomed with about 1/2" tire clearance left. Not a lot of travel but it rode fine.

Anyway you should get some good money for the old wheels towards the new ones.

Attached Files:

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Front Wheels: Cragar's = YES, YES, YES
    ETIII's = NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

13. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

My 65 is similar, the RB 440 makes it cool a hemi makes it cooler.

Attached Files:

14. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

My friends 65 AWB 500" B1

Attached Files:

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I love the AWB cars! I just need to pull the trigger some wheels. Gonna buy the rears first if I can just make up my mind on a siZe. Anybody have a suggestion on how tall?

16. Jamoke

Jamoke

Take a tape measure and figure it out threr are many web sites that tell you how to measure BACK SPACING WHEEL WIDTH TIRE DIAMETER SECTION WIDTHS ETC. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY do not trust someone's suggestion.

OTE=lrs30;9182890]I love the AWB cars! I just need to pull the trigger some wheels. Gonna buy the rears first if I can just make up my mind on a siZe. Anybody have a suggestion on how tall?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App![/QUOTE]

17. I used a '47-'54 Chevy truck front axle on the Corvair. Is a Corvair wider than a Dart?
    [​IMG]

18. brandon

brandon

atleast a 28 tall....taller if you can squeeze it without a lot of cutting...from what I remember on my 63 valiant, not a lot of room height wise...and you can get a fairly wide rim with minimum work....

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Gawd we are
    Not gonna talk about you ass ugly valiant on here are we?im kidding and you know this man I FREAKING LOVED THAT CAR! I had did a mini tub years ago on my 68 Satilite and never got to buy the right wheels and tires for it due to selling it. I hope to not have to cut anything yet on this one.
    But I may have to narrow the rear to get things right. Anybody you recommend in the area to do this Brandon?

20. Hijacked from another thread:

[​IMG]

65ny likes this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another cool one courtesy of Google>>>

Attached Files:

22. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That black one is killer for sure! I don't see me doing a AWB out of this car anytime soon. I jut want to get it running driving right for now

23. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

...........had a 63 in High School in about 1982. My grandfather found it behind a barn while he was running his traps.
    He got it for 75$. I bought it from him.The previous owner keep there feed for chickens in it.
    ...so the seats where trashed from mice.I put some later model seats in it.My folks would not let me drive it until I got insurance for it.
    So,,,,,,,,,,,while saving for insurance it gave me time to clean it up and make it as nice as I could.
    .............I finally got the insurance card in the mail and ............the first morning driving to school. I head down the road and turn on the heater.............mice turds coming from under the dash and everywhere. ........I tell folks it was two tone ,tan and rust. Loved the push button auto.

24. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378242455.701152.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1378242467.939236.jpg

Ok my question is should I keep the rims and just buy tires for the rear, or should I buy custom rims and tires for it. From the rim mating surface to th backs side of the inner fender well I have 9" and from the mating surface to the inside of the 1/4 I have 2 1-2" it would be a real wierd looking rim almost front wheel drive looking or am I wrong. So would it look crazy with the wheels sticking outside the wheel well?

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

And with the wheel sticking out past the 1/4 what tire would look right if any other than a cheaterslick. I've got a tire thread elsewhere tried to combine them but can't figure out how

26. Quote: From the rim mating surface to th backs side of the inner fender well I have 9"

Don't forget the clearance is on springs, shocks etc.

[​IMG]

27. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The tire would hit the backside of the inner fenderwell way before the spring on this situation. The previous owner put a b body rear in an a body. So it pretty damn wide. Not sure if I'm likening the look of the rim hanging outside or not. It has 15x8 rims on the back now with 4" of b.s.

28. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

He moved the springs inwards like a leaf spring tub job..

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Get the rear end and front narrowed before you spend any money on new wheels and tires.

30. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I mounted my buddies front runners on there yesterday, I think I can live with the width on it it's the rear that bugs me. I'm thinking I can get a rear that fits cheaper than cutting one down. I'm going on the hunt this weekend for one