Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cameo trucks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by myforty40, Sep 9, 2013.

1. myforty40

myforty40
    from Hebron, in

At a car show yesterday some guy was attempting to explain what a cameo truck was. He said all big back windows on 55's, 56's, and. 57's were called cameos. True??

2. tomb23

tomb23
    from Oregon

In Short the answer is NO ! Window had nothing to do with it !

3. Nope not true at all.

A Cameo was a Gentleman's truck or a truck designed to sell to the suburbanites. It had glass bed sides and tail gate, with custom ( from the factory) tail lights.

Here is a link to some cameo pics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=che...v&sa=X&ei=d_wtUrmnPOS82wWfgIGQBQ&ved=0CDkQsAQ

Now compair these to any old big window truck.

uncleandy 65 and Black_Sheep like this.
  4. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

All big back widow trucks are not Cameos. All Cameos that I have seen were big back window. The bed, tail lights and tailgate are the big difference.

5. It's not a question of big or small rear window, he's probably referring to the wrap around rear windows that the Cameos had, and the 3100's did not..

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

As Benno pointed out, it's all about the bed. The Cameo beds are totally different than the others offered at the time.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3100's had the big back window when you ordered the "Deluxe" cab.

The Cameo was just as P&B said above, an upgraded truck intended for the guy who wanted to drive a truck but didn't plan on using it as a truck.
    Trucks without the fiberglass fenders and extra bed trim aren't Cameos no matter what back window they have. You can now buy the pieces to convert one to a Cameo bed though.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. ^^Yep!

9. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

For an idea #'s of cameo vs all truck based platform production. IIRC there is nothing in the VIN stating cameo, so if you had a big back window and all the Cameo parts, you could make it a Cameo.

Cameo Pickup 5,520
    Truck Grand Total 393,312

Cameo Pickup 1,452
    Truck Grand Total

Cameo Pickup 2,244
    Truck Grand Total 351,739

Cameo Pickup 1,405
    Truck Grand Total 278,615

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  10. partssaloon

partssaloon

Cameo's were also designated as 3124. Taillights are very similar to 54 Chevy car. I'm on my second one now that I own.

11. Wish I'd kept the running, driving '55 Cameo I bought off a buddy back in 1987 for $300. Yup, $300. He was getting out of the AF and needed cash. It was a complete, titled truck! Except for the underbed tire carrier was missing...

3124 is the correct designator for a Cameo Carrier pickup.

As stated, all Cameos were big back window trucks...NO small window Cameos at all.

12. 5559

from tn

dont believe everything you are told----------------except on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Great looking trucks!

14. customcory

customcory

If the Cameo had all the chrome, I have only seen trim for a big back window, never saw a little back window with trim.

15. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

my boss restores them---just finished this one

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      290.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      278.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      283.9 KB
      Views:
  16. 4444Design

4444Design

any more pics available of "cameos"?

17. That would make the tow truck we nabbed in May a Cameo - it's a 1-ton with big back window. I think if it really was a Cameo it would have sold a lot higher.

18. Cameos were only available as a 1/2-ton, and two-wheel-drive.

So that this is thoroughly understood by all that care - Cameo Carrier pickups were ONLY available with the big back window cab. With that said, that does NOT make all big-back window cabs Cameos!!! Reiterating what was said in post #4 above.

19. Here's mine. It may be a little too non-traditional.......... but I did buy it off the HAMB. Just in the process of reassembling.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allan

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  20. Cameo trucks are like Cognac, all Cognac is brandy but not all brandy is Cognac, same for cameos, all cameos were big back glass but not all big back glass trucks were cameos.

Something of note that no one has mentioned a cameo was a fleet side truck before there was a fleet side truck. Never ever a step side cameo.

21. Bet their was somebody back when they were new that ordered a 4X4 option since it wa a dealer installed option.

22. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

I was in love with a Cameo in 1971, but could not afford the $750 price. Bought my GTO instead for $500.

Anyone know if the fiberglass bed sides were made in Bowling Green, in case the Corvette didn't work out?

23. bondolero

bondolero

When the 1958 cameo came out, GM also started to make the fleet side bed models and put chrome trim packages on the custom cab. Then in 59 the cameo was dropped and all that was available was the deluxe fleet side which was identified by the chrome cab moldings, chrome bumpers, and SS trim along the cab sides. The deluxe was also uniquely painted with alternating two tone from the top to below the fender and bed break line. Areas inside the chrome were also painted the alternating two tone.

Not all fleetsides were deluxe chrome models tho, the smooth bed cost a few more bucks. Remember the same year, 1959, the fancy truck was competing with the 59 el camino as the gentlemen's pickup, as was the Ford style line competing with the 59 ranchero. Dodge was also competing in the fancy truck market at this time, but never followed the big two into the car based pickup market.

24. Armidillo,
    I think it is interesting the flip flop in marketing. Some place I have seen an add that marketed the cameo as a gentleman's truck and shows it driving in the 'burbs. Then along comes the Elko and all at once he marketing changes to the wide bed/fleetside being able to haul more cargo.

Here is something to ponder and a little off base but perhaps worth pondering anyway. With the fleetside being called a fleetside do you suppose that they were originally ment to be sold as fleet trucks?

Ok back to the Cameo, as I recall the cameo tailgate was a side opening gate, correct? I think it used the same lateches as a station wagon.

25. The tailgate drops conventionally but does have retractable cables similar to a wagon tailgate (at least the Nomad).

[​IMG]

DISCLAIMER: That is the previous owner's garage!! :D

26. Wonder if it is a legit 4x4 NAPCO Cameo, or something owner-modded at a later time? If real and restored, it's the best of both worlds. I can't imagine one being built new, though. The NAPCO 4x4 conversions were true work trucks.

27. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

I believe the large window pickups with traditional stepside beds were designated "Custom Cab."

28. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

I thought the big back window was the "panaromic window" option. The custom cab option related to the stainless steel trim option for the doors and back window.

I have seen a few small back window trucks with the stainless steel trim option.

29. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

The Wrap around window didn't designate a Custom cab, as 01 points out, the outer trim was a give-away at distance...FWIW every Custom Cab I'd seen had all the interior dash knobs chromed as well...but not sure if it was done at a later time.