Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Camber problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

@mkubacak is correct. The forces involved are components of torques which are the same regardless of where the caliper is clocked around the disc.

2. Fordors

Fordors

F45CBFB3-206E-41A6-9D75-C674E2EB6D4A.jpeg

Thanks for posting that @Mr48chev, I looked but couldn’t find those specs.
    There is a difference between ‘35-‘36 and ‘37 and up, could be a mismatch of axle to spindles.

X-cpe likes this.
  3. hotcargo

hotcargo

chain down either side of axle then big ass jack in the centre then pump till your big hearts content ……….that's how they do trucks …………..I reckon you've ford or '49 chev spindles on that Mopar axle

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some snooping shows that 36 and 37 have the same king pins Probably making a junk yard spindle snag from the wrong year real easy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    sunbeam and X-cpe like this.
  5. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Put away your sleeping pills, just read this:

When driving along, there is a vertical force transmitted through the bearings, from the inner race (part of the the "chassis") to the outer race ( part of the "wheel"), equal to the weight of that corner of the chassis (say 800 lbs for later example)

When the brakes are applied, there is obviously a force generated between the caliper (part of the chassis) and the disc (part of the wheel). Direction of this force depends on the location of the caliper; if on the back side, it's an upward force on the caliper. If on the front side, it's a downward force. If the caliber is on top, it's a horizontal force, pointing forward. Simultaneously, there is an equal force at the bearing, parallel to the force at the caliper but in the opposite direction. These two forces are a "couple", i.e., a moment (or torque), as required to decelerate the car. Assume a mild braking event, where the magnitude of the friction at the caliper is 100 lbs. If the caliper is ahead of the disc, the accompanying force at the bearing (100 lbs) is additive to the normal weight loading (800 lbs), becoming 900 lbs. With the caliper at the trailing side, the friction at the caliper in effect supports part of the chassis weight, decreasing the vertical load on the bearing to 700 lbs.

How large can this vertical load due to just the braking be at the bearing? Assume a static chassis weight of 650 lbs, which would become about 800 lbs due to weght transfer in a panic stop (assumed to be at a deceleration rate of one "G"). The retarding force at the wheel at the road surface, and the equal and opposite horizontal force through the bearing, would be 800 lbs, which is a "couple" of 11,200 inch-lbs (assumed 14" wheel radius). The couple associated with the brake caliper & wheel bearing must provide this same torque on the wheel. Assuming a 6" effective distance between the spindle and the brake pads, the force at the caliper must be 11, 200 ÷ 6 = 1866 lbs.
    So, with leading caliper location, vertical bearing load would be 2666; with trailing calipers, 1066 lbs, in opposite direction.

Note: with drum brakes, or if you had fore-and-aft calipers, braking torque would not involve the bearings, as the braking elements would be evenly distributed.

There are other considerations in caliper location, so any solution is OK, as long as the above aspects are accounted for in the design.

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

the axle has the curve in the middle, it faces forward so it can't be backwards. My spindles are 36-59 truck or 40-42 car according to RustyHope's website, 4 hole, top holes 3.5 inches apart. They have a pic on there of them also. I guess someone could of used truck spindles on whatever year axle this is. I did mount the calipers on the rear if nothing else for looks. Only thing I know to do is use a rose bud and heat them and set the camber at a 1/4+. From the info posted that is what the 40-42 cars called for. I can't help but wonder if at one time this axle was under an old farmers trailer. It looks just like a few trailers I've seen that was over loaded. The spring pads were removed when I got it and it was mounted suicide style as can be seen in the pics. The big round tube and spring bracket are going to be cut off and frame horns added.

7. nobby

nobby

is it about 3 degrees out
    are some spindles 10 and some 7 degrees, king pin to spindle
    -i.e. you can't run a F1 spindle on an early ford axle even if the pin bore is the
    [​IMG]
    is that the same axle as what you have?, this one is running ford spindles, I think you have f1

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  8. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Put away your sleeping pills, just read this:

When driving along, there is a vertical force transmitted through the bearings, from the inner race (part of the the "chassis") to the outer race ( part of the "wheel"), equal to the weight of that corner of the chassis (say 800 lbs for later example)

When the brakes are applied, there is obviously a force generated between the caliper (part of the chassis) and the disc (part of the wheel). Direction of this force depends on the location of the caliper; if on the back side, it's an upward force on the caliper. If on the front side, it's a downward force. If the caliber is on top, it's a horizontal force, pointing forward. Simultaneously, there is an equal force at the bearing, parallel to the force at the caliper but in the opposite direction. These two forces are a "couple", i.e., a moment (or torque), as required to decelerate the car. Assume a mild braking event, where the magnitude of the friction at the caliper is 100 lbs. If the caliper is ahead of the disc, the accompanying force at the bearing (100 lbs) is additive to the normal weight loading (800 lbs), becoming 900 lbs. With the caliper at the trailing side, the friction at the caliper in effect supports part of the chassis weight, decreasing the vertical load on the bearing to 700 lbs.

How large can this vertical load due to just the braking be at the bearing? Assume a static chassis weight of 650 lbs, which would become about 800 lbs due to weght transfer in a panic stop (assumed to be at a deceleration rate of one "G"). Theretarding force at the wheel at the road surface, and the equal and opposite horizontal force through the bearing, would be 800 lbs, which is a "couple" of 11,200 inch-lbs (assumed 14" wheel radius). The couple associated with the brake caliper & wheel bearing must provide this same torque on thewheel. Assuming a 6" effective distance between the spindle and the brake pads, the force at the caliper must be 11, 200 ÷ 6 = 1866 lbs.
    So, with leading caliper location, vertical bearing load would be 2666; with trailing calipers, 1066 lbs, in opposite direction.

Note: with drum brakes, or if you had fore-and-aft calipers, braking torque would not involve the bearings, as the braking elements would be evenly distributed.

There are other considerations in caliper location, so any solution is OK, as long as the above aspects are accounted for in the design.

The above is hooey.... calipers impart force on the spindle. In a rotary direction. It makes no difference where they are in clocking as far as force direction, UNLESS the caliper is mounted in a floating manner independent of the spindle. An example of this is sprint cars, or motorcycles, where the caliper floats, and has a direct link bar to the chassis, to purposely effect the squat or rise.

9. Post #33 has the answer, if you don't want to tackle it, find a local truck shop with a rack. I used to do them pretty quickly on a lot of trucks, big and small.

10. norms30a

norms30a

Have you tried pushing out your kingpins and flipping the spindles 180 degrees? You have nothing to lose but a few minutes. If this fixes the camber problem, then study brake location and steering location as they are more easily dealt with.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You were most likely working with a solid , forged truck axle ,the op axle is a tube , right ?? Gonna take some special fixturing to not
    damage that tube !!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  12. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Spindles are twice as bad flipped.

norms30a likes this.
  13. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

You stated that you replaced bushings. I am not familiar with your particular axle, but are you sure the bushings are not eccentric? Did they have 4 slots?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He has a tube axle and damned few guys who do I beam axles every day of the week are going to want to even try in it and sure not for 5 degrees. Maybe 1/2 degree to correct a tweak from hitting a big pothole but any more than that is going to be a serous challenge.

I'd still have to believe someone who had it before he did scrounged a pair of 37 spindles from a donor and stuck them on the 36 axle as that would throw the camber off just about exactly what he is seeing.

X-cpe, bobss396 and norms30a like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

How is caster changed on split bones? Time to pie cut and weld back together and call it done.

16. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

The above is hooey.......the discussion pertains to load on the bearings, and of course would also apply to the spindle portion of the "steering knuckle", aka "upright". With the caliper rear mounted, brake friction in part or fully (or more) supports the car weight, unloading the bearing. If front mounted, the bearing load is increased, by possibly a few 100%.

If we're talking about the loads between the knuckle and the axle (or upper/lower A-arms), caliper location makes absolutely no difference.

I'm mystified by what you mean by "force on the spindle in a rotary direction". Forces are only applied in a linear direction. To retard the rotation of a brake disc, we need a "moment" (or "couple"), which consists of two equal non-colinear parallel forces in opposite directions; in this case, one at the bearing and one at the caliper. The direction of the force on the bearing reverses 180 degrees, depending on leading or trailing caliper location.

norms30a likes this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Wrong spindle for that axle is my 2 cents . A good front end man and 2 priests will not be able to tweak that into specs with out damaging the axle beyond repair . Cutting and welding the axle , why ? Find the correct spindle .

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So I don't have to keep reading over and over it has the wrong spindles and thread will end.;)

19. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

You could mesure the spindle angle by mounting the hub face vertical and mesuring the angle of the king pin

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Not trying to change caster , trying to change kingpin inclination ..

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I know. It's a clue.

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

???ya lost me ???

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Never mind. Cutting axles isn't something that should be done if not equipped to do so.

norms30a likes this.
  24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

As time goes on ,I get less inclined to recommend any operation requiring skill ( like welding) to those frequenting a any public forum ...

46international, HemiDeuce and RICH B like this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny how narrowing rear ends and or swap out bearing ends isn't so sensitive of a matter. Still requires jigs and welding but never second questioned. :confused:

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Is the Ply/Dodge tube axle a tube for its whole length or just between the spring pads? Is it really a tube or just round? Original spring pads factory welded to axle or forged in?

Johnny Gee likes this.
  27. The saddles on my friend's '37 Dodge are welded on pieces; the shock mounts are clamped on (maybe spot welded, too?). Never paid attention to the rest of the construction, tho.
    IMG_20190218_151112 (Medium).jpg

28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I don't have a problem if I'm doing it , I just don't recommend it to others . A. I don't know their skill level , B. You can hear the shit storm being cued up for any suggestion regarding welding suspension / axle /steering components. I guess those things can only come from God ?????

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I wouldn't what it done any other way. For other's farm it out. But I'm not going to hide on the PM side of things to be PQ. Modifying stuff is Hot Rodding at it's heart. Either a person has it, other wise their just posers.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    sunbeam likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Happy for you !