Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cam swap sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sphynx, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I am doing a cam swap on my 65 chevy it has a late 80s 305 roller motor and I have a question can I use the roller lifters on a hydrolic cam shaft the roller lifters are also hydrolic any help with this would be appreciated thanks .

2. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

As long as it's a roller cam made for the specific block

3. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

...you ARE asking if you can re-use the original lifters with a new cam, right?

4. Roller lifters can be reused, on another roller cam.

Roller lifters on a flat tappet cam, not a good idea.
    You would lose a LOT of duration.

5. rust head

rust head

NO! A flat tappet cam has the lobes slightly offset so that the lifters rotate ( so they do not wear a groove out of the bottom of the lifter) On A roller cam the lifter/roller rides directally in the center. Roller lifters must be used with roller cam and vice versa. Don't forget the roller lifters use shorter pushrods.

6. If you're asking if you can reuse your roller lifters, yes you can, and you don't have to worry about getting them back in the same lifter bores, however, you need to use a roller cam because of the machining issue. Roller lifters have a tendency to "walk" the cam forward or backward almost like they are trying to screw the cam out of the block. That's why it's also important to use a block made for roller cams. The distributor gear on roller cam motors should also be the bronze type so it does'nt wear out the cam gear. If you're using a roller motor you should be all set there, alot of people get into trouble thinking they can just buy a roller cam & lifters and put it in, not the case, Crane cams has a good tech article on this on thier website

Oldschool66

7. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Alright I got it and then some I wasnt aware that the push rods were shorter in a roller motor but what I am doing is putting a hydrolic flat tappet cam in a roller motor and didnt know if I could use the roller lifters that came stock in the motor since the motor was a factory roller I know its all so sinple but sometimes we just dont know but I got it thanks yall.