Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cam ID Help?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Four Banger, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Four Banger

Four Banger

I just bought a good used cam for my Chevy six (194-250) and can't figure out what I have. It is a Crane, and marked H234/325-8, and CC 2473. Anyone have any idea what the specs are, and is it solid or hydraulic? I can't find diddly squat online about it. It's base circle is almost into the shaft surface, and the ramp angles look pretty steep. I don't want to put it in my engine till I know what it is. Any help would be very much appreciated. I couldn't pass it up for the price (I got it, a new timing gear set, a chrome valve cover, and a header and two Rochester carbs for $100...!

2. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Best guess:

Hydraulic
    234 degrees @ 0.050
    0.325 lobe lift (Multiply .325 X rocker ratio for valve lift)
    108 degrees lobe seperation

The Crane, Comp Cams, etc are usually advanced 4 degrees when installed on stock marks.

Be sure to check for coil bind, valve seal and valve guide clearance at full lift. (0.325" X 1.5 ratio=0.488" at valve)

That's quite a bit of cam for that size engine, but depends on what your trying to do. Hope this helps.

Ron

3. ThingyM

ThingyM

Actually it's not to bad for the 194-250.. Mine is a Clay Smith, with 501 lift 284 duration, Solid lifter.Roller rockers. Cant remember what the lobe spacing is though..Mine idles at around 850 rpm and has a small lope to it. and good throttle responce.. Hell give it a try..Don't like it, Take it out...

4. Four Banger

Four Banger

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like it may be a bit radical for a 194, but maybe a soft bottom end might help traction off the line??? I can also advance the thing a bit if needed, too! Or, like you say, Thingy....if I don't like it, I can toss it later!