Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cam choice for this 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:59 PM.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey all

I'm building up a 283 SBC for my daily driven 53 Chevy and am just investigating what kind of cam I should go for. My setup is as follows:
    Fresh 283 - 30 over
    416 heads from 305 sbc
    Camaro V8 T5 w 0.63 OD
    3.55 Diff
    Quadrajet
    Torquer 1 manifold
    HEI distributor
    17 lb steel flywheel

With this setup I'll be pushing 1900 rpms cruising speed (70mph) on the highway I've heard that RV cams provide good low end torque which would compliment this rpm range, but have heard conflicting opinions regarding their economy.

Ideally I don't mind a little less low end torque if I can provide more economy at cruising speeds, provided I can move up the RPM range to pull hard at a loss of MPG when needed.

Does this make sense? Or is it just more logical and efficient to have a more torquey low end for this gear set.

2. Dave B.

Dave B.

I've been giving this same advice for a lot of years, and it's worked well:
    Pick the cam manufacturer/grinder you intend to buy from and call their tech line. Almost every cam company has one and it's usually listed on their website (sometimes under "contact us").
    They'll want all the information you furnished above, plus the rough weight of the car and the height of the tires you plan to use.
    These folks probably answer this same type of question dozens of times a day and have the facts and depth of experience to give you accurate answers!

Dave B.

upspirate and norms30a like this.
  3. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Don't forget that small cubic inch motors like a bit of compression. Run your numbers so you don't overcam and end up with a poor bottom end performer.

4. norms30a

norms30a

The best gas mileage I ever got from a 283 was at about 2300rpm and about 60 mph. The Q jet was awesome for gas mileage with it's triple venturi, as long as the secondaries were never opened. when the secondaries opened it bogged. After it bogged for a while it would take hold and really go. I think 1900 might be just a little slow.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I think you would like the old 929 Chevrolet cam. Came in the 300 hp 327.
    Several cam companies make the cam. Sometimes listed as a blue print cam.
    Competition cams 252 might suit as well.
    The bog can be taken out of the qjet.
    Pete

6. vickckik

vickckik

Google duntov 3030 cam. It is a streetable performance cam designed by the Godfather of the SBC. Today's manufacturers probably offer it, maybe under a different name.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

8. Fordors

Fordors

I agree with Pete, the 300 horse cam would be good choice for what you want to do especially the cruise RPM you want.
    I do wonder about the Torker I you mention, did you mean the original Torker or possibly the Torker II? Either way those manifolds are stronger from 2500rpm on up. I think you might be happier with a stock, iron Q-Jet manifold.
    Also, a 17 pound flywheel will not be user friendly in a relatively heavy '53 Chevy, I think you need a stock Chevy 30 pound 'wheel for your combination.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

The Comp Cam XE262H works great for me. Real nice idle lope and it really pulls.

Gary

10. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Use a Lunati Retro-fit Hydraulic roller. You can get a short duration yet high lift.
    try this;
    http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2549&gid=337
    Operating rev range is 1800-5800

It should "pull like a schoolboy" down low. and give good economy but still wake up a bit when you buzz it

11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you sure you can use 305 heads on a 283? I may be wrong.
    Also is that intake a dual plane manifold?

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yes, you can run 305 heads on a 283. It's a common swap.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631
    from Florida

Isky makes some sweet small block Chevy cams for what you are trying to do.