Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Calling Stewart Warner Date Gurus

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HunterSpeed, Dec 31, 2013.

1. HunterSpeed

HunterSpeed
    from Austin, TX

I've been fortunate enough to pick up two Stewart Warner Police Special speedos for my build and I need to select one for the dash.

I like the understated look of the traditional looking speedo while the police star on the other is a real conversation starter. In the end, I want to choose a speedo that was produced in the 40's or 50's so the date code is important in my final decision.

The Stewart Warner date codes are well documented on this site but as the year-code represents two possible dates, it can be tough to tell what era the speedo is from for a youngin like myself. :p

Can one of you Stewart Warner gurus out there tell me which year the following were produced?

First up, the "police star version." The date code on this one is B1 which means it was produced in either January of 1934 or 1958. 1958 is the correct year, yes?

[​IMG]

Next, the "script only version." The date code on this one is M5 which means it was produced in either May of 1944 or 1968. 1968 is the correct year, yes?

[​IMG]

Many thanks in advance for the assist!

2. brad2v

brad2v

3. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. BJR

BJR

were they used on cars or motorcycles, or both?

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure. They're definitely the correct size for a motorcycle but that being said some are specifically marked "Harley Davidson". So to be honest I'm not 100% sure.

Here's a rather piss poor photo of a Harley one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. I'd say that both having trip odometers would mark them as motorcycle units....

7. alchemy

alchemy

Your first is a '58 for a car, and the second is for a motorcycle. The square SW logo wasn't designed until about 1955.

8. Harley-Davidson were not the only supplier for police bikes in the late 60's era. And I do not think Moto Guzzi would like H-D on their speedometers. Though I do think they fitted S-W for the LA cop bikes. I mean, have you ever seen a Veglia speedo that didn't bounce like titties on a trampoline??

Cosmo

9. HunterSpeed

HunterSpeed
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for the information all! I'll go with the '58 model given the input.

Great call on the square SW logo Alchemy. Have been doing quite a bit of HAMB and Google searching and hadn't run across this useful piece of info.

10. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

"I Got A Star On My Car & One On My Chest" and the one with the star is the one I like best,And if you dont use it Id love to put it my 34 2-Door Rat Im building