Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling for...Y block general rebuilding and timing help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordsteel, Sep 15, 2008.

1. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Well to start off i used the search function and there is not to much information on Y block tricks. I recently just bought two 1960 ford 292's from running driving F-250's they ran great i saw them before i pulled them.
    now i have them ripped apart Im getting the heads done and such. as for the cylinders there clean so im thinking just a fine hone and new rings. clean good and reassemble. Im new to assembling Y blocks

what I would like is a nice technical compiling of tricks to reassembling and tuning Y blocks so it is all in one safe location. Any thing you think is useful to pass on Id like to cover all topics Ive done lots of research but there is not much out there on the internet that resembles good old fashioned hamb step by step with pictures know how.

Just so you know the one engine is going in my 30 ford roadster with 3x2 fenton intake and other fenton goodies.

the other is going in my 60 falcon gasser and hopefully if my pocket has some green will be McCullouh supercharged

thank you and I can't wait to see the wealth of info you Y block gurus have.

2. Mattilac

Mattilac

3. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

I can't say you picked the best year for the y block. If they are truly 1960s and haven't been messed with in the last 40 some years, they should have C0TF heads, which was when ford used real tiny valves and low compression. Block will be a good one to build though, the links posted above are both good, Use mummerts(top link) rebuilding tips and they go together easy. www.y-blocksforever.com has a good forum and tons of knowledge, do them a favor and do a thorough search as most of your questions have been covered on their forum. Oh and Y-blocks are the best:D

4. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

Ever wonder why some y blocks run strong but most are dogs? Proper cam timing is critical.Most of them have the cam retarted to much from the factory. put in some kind of adjustable cam timing system and tune it

5. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

BTTT I have a ton of y-block stuff for sale check the classified section under parts.

6. LesterB

LesterB

My brother just gave me the latest hot rod delux mag. there is an article in it on building y blocks. I have'nt read it yet. i just got home a little bit ago, but it looks pretty detailed.