Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling All Wico Experts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hapydz, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me if a Wico XV 1509 magneto with the impulse feature, can be set up to run CCW or CW rotation ? The one I have is set to have the rotor rotating CW and for the banger I need CCW. Am I screwed ?:eek:
    Ron

2. wheezier

wheezier

I can't speak directly to answer the WICO question. But if your WICO is like an aircraft magneto the impulse feature could be the problem as it would need to be reversed. But in theory... on a non impulse mag re-indexing the points on the mounting plate and flipping them over should work. Finding a mirror of the points could be the difficult part as left and right rotation points are different. This would only work for a 4 cycle application. Probably have to machine a newly indexed drive tang also to keep the mag in an upright position. Of course we don't want to get into reverse rotation camshafts..etc. Good Luck and hopefully you will get a straight answer to your question.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. Thanks Wheezier for taking the time to respond ! I talked to Andrew Johnson who is "Antique Speed and Machine" about the concerns I had regarding the mag that he restored for me. After a bit of discussion I realized that the rotor does turn CCWs but it is very firm at the 90 degree marks when it hits the impluse triggers. I thought before I talked to him that I was going to break something if I forced it over these locations. To my surprise, nothing broke...:D. Now back to the shop to see just what we have..
    Ron
    p.s. sure is purdy don't you think?

Attached Files:

4. wheezier

wheezier

After I spoke to your thread I looked into my old gas engine mags box and found an old 4 cyl WICO off of a Wisconsin air colled engine used for shredding.

Good luck pal. Yep.... they snap hard on that impulse strike. BTW I found an old WICO 4 Cyl mag in my box after responding as I went looking. It's nothing like yours in the photo as it came off an old Wisconsin air cooled auxiliary drive engine. Surely your's is indeed purdy.

s