Register now to get rid of these ads!

calling all mercurys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingfishhotrods, May 15, 2009.

1. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

Hey ya'll
    I am about to start the build on my 50 mercury and I am looking for ideas and opinions on front ends.
    Here is the deal. I can buy a rolling 80's GM frame that at one time sat under a merc for cheeeeeep or I can run the original setup with the disc brake conversion or I know where a jag is, that has it all. My understanding is that JAMCO is no longer offering the factory to ball joint conversion kit because of the death of the man that was doing this for them. Now with all of these options are many pros and cons. also keeping in mind that my car needs new floors anyway but the trunk is in good shape. even the gas tank looks new and as far as the rear end goes I have a 9 inch with brakes that with a little work would slide right in. the plan is to run a 460 w/c6 so the motor mounts on the GM frame are not an issue.

All right chumps and chumettes, lets get this pimpmobile on the road.
    What do you think?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The GM frames make for a nice riding Merc that is easy to get at the ride height you want and chassis parts are easy to come by.

I had a rear steer Camaro/Nova subframe on my 51 Merc frame and it drove great. I don't have photos that I can find but it fit up well. I don't think that will work with the 460 though. Because I had problems with the back end of the frame over the rear axle I swapped to a mid 70's Monte Carlo chassis that I stretched a couple of inches. That is under the car now with a 455 Olds for power and the gent who owns it now really likes the setup.

I'd vote for the GM chassis if yours is bad or beyond reasonable repair.

I don't see the Jag stuff as being easy or inexpensive on that car. For sure not inexpensive.

3. Do a search for Project Area 51. Just an option. ETHER

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  4. 1935olds

1935olds

First off I hope you call your Merc a "Pimpmobile" as a joke, or did you already order the "22" spinners and underbody neon kit. Leave the front end stock and put a flathead in it. There are enough butchered Mercs around.

5. My '51 rides on a newer GM frame and has newer floor pans too, it looks like it's a lot of work to make the swap. But the car rides like a much newer car, and once I figure out what swaybars will fit it will handle like an early 90's police car on 15's.

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lot of guys will disagree with me but switching the frame is the way too go. I have a
    '77 cougar under mine and it rides great and looks like its draggin butt. Three inch
    channel with one kool cut off the back spring. If you are building a car for over the road
    you won't be sorry........

Good luck with the project.

Happy Trails,

Mick

7. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Hey guys. in re-guards to the ball joint conversion, we are not converting the "original" a-arms for the Mercs any more, But we are working very hard to get the new "TUBULAR" arms done. We are hoping to have them finished and in stock in about 2 months - hopfully sooner.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there is alot of nice bolt ons for the mercs and they work well which i will probably put on my merc. for the wifes merc i had a 76 jag sitting so ill be putting that stuff in hers. Drewfus here on the hamb did a nice swap with some good pics of his brothers merc, they did a jag swap