Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all International Builders IH, K and KBs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by texag09, Jul 25, 2009.

1. texag09

texag09

Couldnt find a social group for the International truck builders, so I made one. As we know parts are hard to find maybe this will help some of us swap parts and info. Here is the link to the group:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=366

And some pics of my new KB

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. At least you can find door handles and door latches, same as '38-'47 Ford truck.

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

Thanks for thetip on the doorhandles, the timing is perfect. My tip foreward;DO NOT use a ranger chassis. PLEASE don't i tried and its not fit to be under a Ranger. Pics to follow.

4. There was a KB in an early month of this year Red Power Magazine for like $3500 and it ran and drove good they said. A couple of months ago they had one the guy wanted big money for and the $3500 one looked better.

5. GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR

GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR
    from Detroit

Wiil bookmark this, I just bought a '47 KB-1 and will begin building this fall. mine looks to be in similar shape to yours. Plan on keeping original frame.

6. texag09

texag09

Yea Mine is a KB6 Original tow truck, My Great Grandfather bought new. Im thinking about a 4x4 build with a mid 70's f150.

7. Awedrod

Awedrod
    from Wichita KS

Thanks for the info on the ranger frame, I had just came across one and it was cheap so I was thinking about it. Glad you could shine some light on the situation. Really want to update the frame and drivetrain, thinking 327 and powerglide, but not too sure about the frame yet.

8. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I have a friend with a larger 1935 (I think) IH 1 ton or so truck for sale. It is pretty complete and kind of cool but I am not into them. If anybody is interested PM me and I will get the info to you.

george

9. I always liked the KB Haybalers, thought they were cool looking trucks. Guy Sloan Motor Service here had a '47 KB-7 wrecker for years. Pelham Lloyd, did plumbing around here for years, drove a '49 KB-1. There's a guy in Gadsden AL has a nice KB-1 that's rodded, and there's a yellow KB-1 I see at a lot of the shows in this area.

10. satanic mechanic

satanic mechanic

There is a group that is into IHC trucks called http://www.oldihc.org There slogan is "help for the hopelessly addicted"

11. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

12. GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR

GUMMEDUP CARBINATOR
    from Detroit

@ Nailhead Terry. Assuming that is your KB in your avatar, could you tell me how much it is chopped ? I have been staring at my KB's cab and I gotta tell you, it's a fuctup proportion.........the roof is thick ! Perhaps we could convince you to post some pix ?

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the only trouble we have with our KB1 is finding a water pump, its a three bolt one bypass.. yeah I know they are out there but $185.00 is a little more than I can afford.

14. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

mines chopped 4 back glass moved down it helped the thick look to thin out!!

15. JagerFabrik

JagerFabrik

Hey Texag09.. looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Should be a fun project. I'm in the middle of building a '56 IH S-120 4x4 right now. Already swapped to 1 ton axles front and rear.. Just picked up a 6v53N Detroit Diesel to take the place of the old Silver Diamond 240ci 6 cyl.

I'm in Houston, not too far from you.

Andrew

Old pic, but best one I have right now..

[​IMG]

16. texag09

texag09

Awesome man, looks good. That is the ultimate plan for mine, transplant to a 1980 GMC 4x4 Frame and drive train.

17. Anyone know where i can get cab corners

18. kingpins

kingpins

i have a 61 Ih with the 6cyl still in it. any good ways to bag it or atleast lower it to the weeds? thanks

19. MLG

MLG

Put mine on 93 S-10 Blazer, have plenty of pictures if anyone is interested.

20. Zooker

Zooker

I traded for two "48" KB pickups last July and I am swapping one of them onto a “92” S-10 chassis. I am still working out how much channel I want on the cab. I don’t think I will chop the top; I may just pancake the roof a little and lower the windshield to match the side windows. I’m over six foot tall and the cab is a little tight to begin with. MLG... just for future reference… you never have to ask first about posting pictures, Just Do It! :)

21. MLG

MLG

Sorry for the repeat,finally figured out how to post pictures
    1949 Kb-1,sold last year.
    On 93 s-10 frame (infact complete driveline)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  22. cheeto

cheeto
    from WA/MT

Very nice! Is that a 4.3 liter? How was it for power as a cruiser? Shorten the frame or did you get lucky on wheelbase?

23. HALFAST

HALFAST

24. twirht

twirht
    from Savannah

I have a 47-9 Panel KB1. I need to pick a direction to proceed, I would either do a chassis swap or a mustang II front end. The swap tot S10 would probable leave the back van floor all cut up and I want to look original, but may be a Dakota frame would solve this. I was impressed with idea of buying a rolling chassis with motor transmission and rear end all hooked up. The chassis swap seems like it would be less time? The IFS mustang would leave a stock frame, but I would need to come up with rear end suspension to handle 300HP and handling?
    Please any thought about this. Tom

25. jazz1

jazz1

I put Fatman IFS in front with s10 rear axle. Just much simpler than a swap and I am all about simple. Engine is 4.3 gm carbed with 700r4. Crown Vic front suspension can also be bolted on to your frame.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  26. jazz1

jazz1

[​IMG]

I am chopping a 42 K2..just something to tinker with as my 41 K1 is complete

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Jitterbug likes this.
  27. havi

havi

I could use a better cab myself. There were two in my area that ended up being sold to someone further up the shore. Lutsen I think it was?

28. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I don't know what year Ranger or International you are using, but my 38 International is sitting on a 83 Ranger frame. Fits like it was made for it. However, I am using the Ranger engine and trans. Putting a 302 in is possible, but there are some issues with the fuel pump area. The only other problem would be the radiator area. Solved my issues by building a new core support. This is the 5th swap I've done on a Ranger frame. Last truck was a 47 Ford pickup. Owner drives it daily & loves it. Eventually he plans on putting a turbo coupe motor in it for more horsepower. Currently he makes 25mpg, cruises at freeway speeds, and has power steering and brakes, in a truck with a total investment of less than $4500.

29. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Heres my 41 on a late 70s Dodge d100 frame with d100 bed. Best to use the original frame. I have done a lot since pictures. just my shop is full of crap.

Attached Files:

30. silversink

silversink

A quick pictorial of a 1948 KB1 shortbed that has been in the family since day one. I was given the truck 30 years ago and drove it with the stock running gear untill this winter when I decided to make a change(350/350). Th last picture is where I am now after 3 monthes of fitting and modifieing. A 325 9" rearend is outback.
    I still have wireing and driveline to dobut the interior will look stock down to the plunger on the floor for the starter. I,m useing the co;umn shifter to shift the auto.trans. Im keeping the clutch peddle, I just welded a plate to tie it together to the brake peddle to work in unison whith the brake system. The foorboards are unchanged and the gas tank has been reworked for a bigger outlet to feed 300 hungry horses under the hood. HPIM0626.jpg

HPIM0658.jpg

HPIM0954.jpg

HPIM0975.jpg

HPIM0979.jpg

HPIM0976.jpg