Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Calling all 1940 Ford Gurus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Oct 2, 2014.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I have recently bought a couple 1940 Ford dash boards. My question is about the ashtrays. Did the design change sometime during the production. Both of my dash boards have the same "tabs" in the ashtray openings, I have a set of ashtrays but they don't fit. With the limited amount of information available, It seems to me that I have the "pull out" type. Not the "tilt down" type. I would think the "tilt down" type are the ones that will fit in my dash boards. Any information, or PICTURES would be great. I just can't get these trays to fit. Thanks in advance for the info. Jay

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

early ones slide up--later ones tip out. The slide up type has an ashtray that removes-the tilt out has the ashtray attached to the door. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  3. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

later dash for tip out ashtrays-piece you have is part of a bkt for slide up type I think-slide up type also have a bkt you can see thru the ashtray hole with a piece across the back with holes in it. Tip ones are available --if you have the covers see if they fit the hole.
    Just looked--Drake has the retainers for $50 and the ashtrays for $100-don't know how well they fit---may have some in my junk somewhere and a guy in Delaware probably has some too-PM me for info or call 916-521-9649

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014