Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Caliper relocation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Apr 21, 2014.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

Still trying to put a 2000 Olds Bravada rear end into a 50 Styleline. The calipers are mounted at the topmost position and will hit the frame. My question to you guys is there a mounting plate that swaps out to relocate the caliper. Don't really trust myself trying to re-drill the existing one and would be doing it by hand any ways. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Bravada...which is an S10 4x4 with a nose job IIRC?
    I THINK the drum brake setup is a direct swap over on these rearends.
    I seem to remember it works the other way around, so should work going back to drums!

If you did go back to drums, make sure to get the parts from the same style S10 or the like, as earlier models used a different wheel cylinder mounting with a big clip and the stuff won't interchange due to the earlier model using a boss on the housing to mount the cylinder.
    Not there on the later rearends with the normal 2 bolt wheel cylinder.

Another thing that might make going back to drums a better choice is that the caliper mounting bracket also serves to locate the inner handbrake shoe and the cable mounting points, so altering the location of the caliper by rotating the bracket and backing plate will also rotate the handbrake cable.
    Even with just a couple of degrees of rotation that can quickly create a problem for you!

Now...I ASSUMED the Bravada is actually a 4x4.
    If it isn't...you may be in some luck.
    2x4's are around 4" narrower than a 4x4...so you could use a 4x4 rearend to gain the room you need...IF the wheels will fit under your car with the extra width.
    Of course that means finding another rearend....:rolleyes:

3. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

Another problem with rotating calipers from the factory location is the bleeders vent from the top of the cavity in the stock location. If moved the caliper will need to be set back to the stock location to bleed all the air out, and then bolted on in the new location. This can be hard to do if plumbed with rigid tubing.