Register now to get rid of these ads!

California YOM Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35mastr, Apr 24, 2012.

1. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I have searched many threads on this. I know a guy that has a 1948 Pontiac that he had a set of 1947 California Plates on. He went through the YOM program. He found another set of plates that he liked better and did the process again.

He wants to sell his first set of plates. I am interested. But he says that the DMV will only authorized those plates to another 1948 car. Is this really true?

Any one here in California been through this?

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

Sorry, I haven't been through it...but have heard the same.

3. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Yes, that is true. He can transfer the plates to you, using REG-17, but they will have to go on another 48. OR, you can buy them and hang on to them until the DMV no longer has them in their system, about 3 years. No such thing as "DMV Clear", they are either on file or not.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dumbest thing I ever heard of. then again, this is the California DMV we are talking about here.

5. Have to disagree. I bought a set of 1951 plates that were registered to a 1952 with the little metal 52 year tag. I got a new tag for 1955. I had the previous owner of the plates sign a Release of Interest for the plates on Form Reg 17, took that form, the plates, my 55 tag and my registration down to DMV and they issued them to my car - a 1955. Sounds like the same thing the OP is trying to do.

As for DMV Clear, I think most folks use that to state that the plate number is not currently used in CA and therefore can be registered. It might not be a DMV term but it does help clarify when buying plates that the owner has checked and the number sequence of the plate are not currently being used

6. tommy v

tommy v

yup it true, i had some 47 plates on my 50 shoebox, i kept them when i sold it so when i got my 49 merc i tryed to put them on the 49 they said nope only on a 50 ,

7. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I got some 47 yom plates that were DMV clear.then got some 50 tags. It was a little hassle but I got everything legit. Not sure what they were on before though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is an example of if you go to 5 different clerks at the DMV you will get 5 different answers. there is a plate seller on ebay who has a site with rules and regs for YOM in California and he states this to be true as well.

I have never seen it on any DMV site though. if the DMV had a collective brain in thier heads, they would have an easy to find section on YOM with all the rules and regs and a decent way to check if they are DMV clear. they are making money on this deal, you'd think they might invest a little time to make it easier.

9. I think because I took them in with the proper year tag is probably the reason it went through. Then again, it's DMV so who knows. :D

10. easyissy

easyissy

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/about/lad/pdfs/yom/new_text.pdf Rules & Regs

11. You will have to find a source to obtain the year sticker also, I see a couple sellers at the GG's Pleasanton swap meet. I purchased a '64 tag for $40, then next guy only wanted $25. :(

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

These require the metal corner tag that goes on the upper right. I have a brand new set that I bought on ebay still in the DMV paper work from 1950.

I just need to figure out this plate thing before I drop 300.00 on a set of plates .

13. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

How long ago was this?

14. I'de FIRST see if the plates are "Not on File"=PD term....Straight into dmv data base before you pony up. It takes at least TEN YEARS to clear plate numbers.And,if you do indeed find a clear set,you can always call Sacramento,or DMV.ca.gov
    Another tidbit.... If it's an early plate with (6) digits-yes,later plates started coming out with (7)=ask me how I know...,are being re-issued=the number/letter sequence to MC's in CA.
    Do your homework first before you fork out for garage hangers.All you have to do is call,like mentioned above and before=5 different dmv's,5 different answers.Good luck on getting your plates!:)

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was at the Sacramento swap meet last Sunday there were several guys there dealing in plates. Don't know ANYTHING about them but they had nice plates for sale and seemed to know what they were talking about when I discussed my YOM plates on my '40. Might be worth a phone call since they are both up north.

Jim's California License Plates - 925-462-1506
    Don Stone - 707-558-8910

16. George (35mastr) -

A freind of a friend with a '50 Merc just did exactly what you are looking to do ... and had absolutely no issue at his local DMV office ... but then again, this was somewhere in the Central Valley ... no tellin' what will happen at the Fremont DMV office ... they've probably never even heard of a '50 Hudson! :eek:

HAMBer oldpl8s has some useful info regarding the California YOM program on his website:

1950 CALIFORNIA Plate.jpg
    1947 plate with 50 tag

Year-Of-Manufacture program

The DMV has a Year-Of-Manufacture (YOM) program that lets you register your car with
    the plates it would have been originally sold with. The plates must have matching numbers and
    be in good shape and can be restored as long as they have the original color. They also
    need to be "DMV clear" which means that no other car is using your numbers since newer
    plates are reusing old numbers. The 1947 and 1951 numbering series matches many 1980's
    and newer plates so the price difference when you buy the plates at a swap meet goes from
    about $50 for non-clear up to $300 or more for clear plates. The 1956 numbering is now being
    used on the specialty plates like the Lake Tahoe and the California Arts plates so those
    plates will be harder to find clear.

I have registered many cars from 1928 to 1962 and each time the clerk at the DMV is not
    familiar with the process and will tell you it can't be done. I had to convince them
    that my 1956 plate with a 1959 sticker was proper for my 1959 car. They saw the 56 on the
    plate and told me I would need a 1959 plate. The Auto Club may also have trouble since
    this is not a common transaction.

Genuine DMV rules from their own website

They won't know their own rules, but now you do!

from the DMV website at: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

Print this section and take it in with you:

VC Section 5004.1 Model Year Date License Plates.JPG
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  17. Been a couple of years now. Did my 37 plates yesterday and asked if what was talked about here was true and the girls Both said no, there was no restriction based on what car it had been on, as long as it is appropriate for the year of the car you're trying to put it on.

If you notice in the DMV sections shown above there is nothing to indicate any problems related to earlier usage.

18. My experience with the DMV even the california DMV is that the rules change from one station to the next. Not actually a rule change I suppose because the rules are the rules. I think it is more of an interpretation or education problem. Well that and some folks just like the idea of having power to do things to make your life less than pleasent.