Register now to get rid of these ads!

California Painters..Need your help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I am going to paint my car. Im starting with bare metal and some filler work. I want to start off with a DPLF epoxy primer, then a high build, and again with DPLF for the sealer before a Base Coat/Clear Coat.

My problem is, I cannot seem to find a California legal PPG primer surfacer that is compatible with the DP. The guy at the paint store told me the only PPG primer surfacer he can sell me is NCP 280, which if you read the product bulletins, is not compatible with DPLF Epoxy Primer, which he didn't even know until I brought it to his attention.

Im kinda new at this shit so if im makin' a mountain out of a mole hill please tell me. I've put the last four months of my life into prepping the car for this damn paint job....and i'll be damned if it lifts because the guy at the paint store didn't pay attention to his product.

It seems that every paint that is good is outlawed in California. I like DP because it's good stuff, but I also want to use a high build to block sand. What are you guys using???

2. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Nobody??? I know someones got a solution.

3. Solution ---
    Get sum 1 in AZ to buy the materials ya need and ship them to ya.
    I do it all the time for a few of my buddies over there.

4. prl98

prl98

Drive over the hill to Santa Cruz and go to Peninsula color and get everything you need.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009

5. romie

romie

30 min drive not badd! and the climate is perfect for your ride, show them what you want by taking it to the ones who know. plr98 solved the problem.

6. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

Isn't there laws about shipping flammables? If I can get a life-line outside of Cali that would be awesome.

7. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I ordered all my stuff from www.autobodydepot.com and never had any trouble with legal stuff. If I ordered on Monday, it was here within a day or two and if you order over $250 (when I bought from them) they shipped for free.

8. Never had a problem.

9. roger lawless

roger lawless

Come on over and talk to the pro's at Peninsula Color's on Soquel Ave.:D Then go get some chowder on the wharf.

Roger

10. romie

romie

SANTA CRUZ! is callin you!

11. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I'll stop by on Friday morning. Thanks!!!

12. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

Im the manager at Ned's Auto Body Supply in Concord, and we're a PPG Platinum distributor. The only primer you can put over DPLF is Shopline JP205, or Omni's MX245. Both are PPG products, and both are polyester primers. You get a great build, and it sands easy.