Register now to get rid of these ads!

California is at it again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Jun 18, 2007.

1. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

California Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older Passes Assembly; Moves to Senate

Legislation (A.B. 616) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older has been approved by the California Assembly and has been sent to the Senate for consideration. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been now referred to the Senate Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 616

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 616 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.

Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 616.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to [email protected]. Thank you for your assistance.

Senate Transportation Committee

Senator Alan Lowenthal (Chair)

[email protected]

(916) 651-4027

Senator Tom McClintock (Vice Chair)

[email protected]

(916) 651-4019

Senator Roy Ashburn

[email protected]

(916) 651-4018

Senator Gilbert Cedillo

[email protected]

(916) 651-4022

Senator Ellen Corbett

[email protected]

(916) 651-4010

Senator Robert Dutton

[email protected]

(916) 651-4031

Senator Tom Harman

[email protected]

(916) 651-4035

Senator Christine Kehoe

[email protected]

(916) 651-4039

Senator Joe Simitian

[email protected]

(916) 651-4011

Senator Tom Torlakson

[email protected]

(916) 651-4007

Senator Leland Yee

[email protected]

(916) 651-4008

2. lewislynn

lewislynn

California isn't at it again, the fucking Democrats are at it again.

I don't know why some of you people can't figure this shit out. The solution is simple...
    Stop voting for fucking money grubbing, tree hugging Democrats.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Either way, the warning alarm needs to be sounded.

4. Road Runner

Road Runner

Sooner or later.
    I often wonder how much longer I can drive my old iron without paying specialty fees, licenses, taxes, etc....

5. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Does California have a council of car clubs, we here in Connecticut have one, it a committee that continually monitors the legislative of any proposed bill changes. It speaks on behalf of the car hobbies at the legisative meetings.......... for more info on what the Connecticut Council of Car Clubs .. www.ctccc.net :cool:

6. DrJ

DrJ

This means most of our "collector cars" won't be affected, this time around, but it still deserves some letters of resistance.
    It's just another attack on the wallets of poor people who have no choice but to drive older cars.

By this "logic" we have nothing to worry about because by this "logic" Republican Governator Arnold won't sign it into law anyway?
    :rolleyes:

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Take it easy, boy. I absolutely don't give a shit about the decision. I'm a liberal (definetaly not a Republican) and I think all the new fucking Hondas and Fords etc should be smogged once a year, blah blah blah.
    You are only pissed because, it pertains to you, right?
    Do you drive a newer car???

My newest car is from 1952.

8. chopt49

chopt49

Yup - that's what I would expect from a person living in Modesto!

So it's safe to say you have a "dubba" sticker on your ride!

9. Hey now, there is a solution.
    If, for some stupid reason, this crap passes we could convert our cars to run on Alchohol. But, there are very few stations selling it.
    Should'nt be too hard, and it would keep us on the road!
    Worst case scenario.

10. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While most of the country has dealt with rust and corrosion for the last 70+ years destroying our vintage cars, California cars have escaped destruction from the elements. It would appear that California vintage cars now face the corrosive influence of politics. It doesn't really matter which political party is involved, once the issue is all boiled down, It comes down to money. We need some big names (and big money)- Bruce Meyer, Carroll Shelby, Parnelli Jones, Jay Leno, Nicholas Cage, Reggie Jackson, Michael Anthony, Boyd, Chip, Roy and others with famous names to get involved in the effort to speak up for the vintage car enthusiasts of all flavors. There are many people in the car world that have both wealth and influence. We just need to use our connections and resources to get the message out.

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thats Nothing. Here In Texas All Cars 1973 And Newer Have To Have Emissions Testing. It Has Been That Way Since 73! Quit Your Bitchin And Get A Older Car And Fixer Up!!!!!

12. LewisLynn, read the rules here. No politics. Pay attention. Dumbass.

13. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Not true, all cars and trucks older than 25 years are exempt from emissions test. They go through a safety inspection only.

14. Vorhese

Vorhese

One more reason I look forward to moving to Arizona. I can't even afford the registrationow, not to mention the endless parking tickets.

15. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

they need to look at the demographic of the cars on the road.

i bet less than 5% of the vehicles on the road are 15 years or older, and they should take into consideration, annyal milage of collector cars.

16. prl98

prl98

In the early '70s my grandfather and afew others started an organization called a.c.c.c. (asscotion of cal. car clubs)that was a watch-dog group just for this kind of thing. He was their first pres. and may have served in that capacity a few times after that. The group still is around. He died a month ago. He was very active in this up until the end.

17. You can't really blame one side or the other anyways. Where one side is pandering to environmental groups and idiots who don't know better, the other side is pandering to corporations looking for cheap shortcuts around actually changing the things they do that pollute the atmosphere. I can't hardly tell the difference between the two anymore. It's not worth the argument - just contact whatever idiot your community has put into office and tell them to vote this crap down, or you'll vote for the most likely candidate to beat them next election, even if it's Mickey Mouse's dog Pluto.

Who probably would do a better job.. at least he doesn't talk.

18. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

I know this doesn't affect the cars most of us love driving and working on but it's another step closer to having to smog a `55 Chevy or `40 Ford.

19. lewislynn

lewislynn

They won't need to smog the car, they'll smog the engine.

Example: If you have an engine 15 yrs old or older (per the new law) they could simply mandate that you'll have to bring it to whatever the requirements were for that model year regardless of what body is wrapped around it. That means NO engine modifications beyond factory, all the smog pumps etc.

Say what you want about parties pandering. Pandering ain't policy or law imposed on the little guy. I don't know any corporations that would be affected by the new proposal pointed out here.

Go ahead, keep voting for the global warming fear mongering, tree hugging party.

Oh, and there's nothing magic about 15 either, it can be any number that pops into their twisted minds.

20. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Am I reading this correctly.
    Currently all cars 5 years old and newer, as well as 1976 and older are exempt from the bi annual smog test.
    If this goes into affect, all cars 15 years old and newer, as well as 1976 and older are exempt from the annual smog testing.
    simply put, it's the same for all pre 76 cars, and I just got another 10 years added to my 06 Mustang. But the folks from 77 through 97 have to do it every year.
    I guess I'm being selfish, but I'm not all that disappointed with it.
    Pre 76 cars never had cat converters, so it'll be a long time before they go after us.
    I think most of the guys on this forum fall into that category. Not that many traditional rods n kustoms in the 77 - 92 vintage.
    I think we are a pretty long way away from smog tests on a '40.

Craig

21. 15 yrs old and older? Doesn't that essetially mean ALL cars then? Or, are 15 yr and newer exempt?

22. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

Did I read this law right?..15 years and older? If this is true where are they going to get the specs. for how much nox,co`s.and hc`s a model A with no smog devices is allowed to make! Will I have to put a cat.converter on it?Right now in california they dont smog these Aftermarket harleys cause they dont have anything to go by!!A friend of mine builds new custom choppers and sells them without having to smog them!

23. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

this has nothing to do with traditional cars what are you all worried about.

24. Doesn't it? 15 yrs and OLDER sounds like it includes ALL our stuff.

25. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

read it again.
    15 years and newer are exempt. :D (instead of 5 years and newer)
    76 and older are exempt :D same as it is now
    the rest (77-92) go from every other year, to every year.

26. I missed that. Well, hell. Then why was it even posted here?

27. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

28. September in Missouri we will only have to get emissions on 98 and newer vehicles...My cars will be exempt...the Midwest finally paid off:D

29. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Not yet, but it will!!!! The state of California is setting up to pass
    the most restrictive air pollution standards in the history of the country. So goes California, so goes the rest of the country. Once the Feds see how this will fly in California ya can bet it will become an
    item of interest for national standards. If you were around in 1974
    when the Feds passed the nationally mandated 55M.P.H. speed limit,
    some states, at least initially, chose not to comply and in doing so
    saw their share of Federal Highway Money cut off or limited. Those
    states soon saw the light, and towed the party line. As the Global
    Pollution deal gets more attention look for political animals from both
    sides of the isle to garner money and votes by any means necessary
    Yeah, out where you're still tradin' chickens and beads for goods and
    services this may not touch you for a wile, but it's commin'.

Swankey Devils C.C.