Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT: New Bill That is ACTUALLY POSITIVE coming up VERY SOON!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 9, 2010.

1. VonWegener

VonWegener

A 250 unit increase?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:(Keep calling, faxing and emailing.

An increase is good, but how about a meaningful one?

This is an increase from 0.0016% to 0.0023% of the registered vehicles.

3. I know, we ain't too happy about the 250 either. Jeffries and his staff negotiated with the no voters, and we were given a choice, take the 250 or wait until next year to try again. The majority involved, felt it was important to get something out of all this, a small victory would be better than none. This is the first bit of pro hobbyist legislation to get this far in years.

Almost daily, I talk to someone that didn't hear anything about this bill until now. We've barely scratched the surface of the amount of support that could be generated. Young or old, classic or jalopy, 4X4 or low rider, all car enthusiasts are going to have to band together to support/defeat laws like this one as they come up. All it takes is phone calls, letters, and e-mails. Simple, yet extremely effective in large enough numbers.

We need a way to get the word out to the car community. And in a timely manner, as these things (as this one did ) happen fast. Any suggestions?

4. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

Carclub council meetings might be a good start. That way, the word could get deseminated through carclubs and their members. Council meetings are monthly, and carclubs meet monthly as well.
    Perhaps a flyer included in goodie-bags at carshows, also.

6. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

7. If you haven't already, give these members a shout before noon tomorrow.
    If you can attend the hearing, it's in room 4202 of the Capitol building. We'll meet at the main entrance around 1:00pm. I'll post updates here if anything changes. A room full of supporters would help send a message.

8. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

9. It passed the Transportation Commitee 8-4. Here's the official summery from Assemblyman Jeffries...

AB 1740 passed out of the Assembly Transportation Committee today, with an 8-4 vote (over the objections of the Committee Chairperson). As amended, AB 1740 will raise the cap on specialty constructed vehicles from 500 to 750 per year. While we would very much like to eliminate the cap altogether, 750 is the best we can get right now. The bill had no votes to spare, indicating how contentious the bill is. The next step for AB 1740 will be the Assembly Appropriations Committee. While unknown at this time, the hearing date will likely take place sometime in early May. At that time, we will let you know how you can help the bill pass.
    Also, Thank you to everyone, for sending faxes and making phone calls. It made a huge difference!
    We still have a long way to go!

Thank you,

Kevin Jeffries

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Hey, that is good news. It is a little step, but is a 50% increase and at least there is enough support of our hobby to give us some hope. We should definitely send some thank you letters or calls and I will do that. But, if anyone of the legislative supporters is reading this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Sincerely, very much appreciated. Hopefully this will make it all the way through. :)

11. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

This is pretty huge for California.

thanks!
    - Joe

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to everyone who worked on this! Keep lobbying. There is always time to make a difference!

Progress is progress, and that is good. I still cannot necessarily understand the contentiousness of the issue, though. As I have said before, this is an increase from 0.0016% to 0.0023% of the registered vehicles in California. I still think the microscope is screwed in too far. Sureley there are larger issues.

Seriously, one full-size container ship, of the class that you would find docked in Long Beach, makes the equivalent pollution to 50,000,000 cars, per year. Parking one of those, for good, would do more to reduce pollution than taking every single vehicle in California off the road, forever.

13. autobilly

autobilly

Get behind this legislation if you can guys. I would, but I'm a little too far out of this constituency.

14. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thanks to everyone who put forth the effort...
    There are still hurdles ahead for this bill to become law. Now we need to contact our local Assemblypersons to get them on board. Don't stop with your efforts quite yet!

15. evintho

evintho

OUTSTANDING! We'll take what we can get! Keep us aprised of the upcoming hearing date. Let's keep this in the forefront!

16. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

17. I will work on a list of the 'yes' voters and post it here.

18. Yes vote were...
    Jeffries, Miller, Bill Berryhill, Niello, Norby, Galgiani, Portantino, Solario.

www.leginfo.ca.gov

Also received this response from Jeffries office...

Thanks for your comments. I believe that the best strategy is to pursue contacting members of the Appropriations Committee once we have a hearing date in the committee. The Assembly Appropriations Committee hears around 100 bills per hearing. Having one hearing every other week, they deal with different bills, in different subject areas in a very brief amount of time. It is my recommendation to send letters, faxes, e-mails and make calls once we have an official hearing date from the committee. That way, when we reference our bill, we will not take the chance of confusing the 20 members of the committee. When we have a hearing date, we can note our bill, and the hearing date in the same letter, and are therefore more likely to garner clear responses from members.

I will check with the Appropriations Committee later this week to find out what that hearing date will be; generally, the hearing date is set a few weeks prior to the hearing. That should give us plenty of time to mobilize another effective campaign.
    Andrew Shedlock
    Office of Assemblymember Kevin Jeffries

I'll post the contact info here as soon as it's available. Start thinking of ways to get the word out when the time comes. We won't be able to provide testimony at the remaining hearings, so it's gonna take BIG numbers of public support to send the message. Stay tuned...

19. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

HVspeed.

Thanks for the info. I will get a letter off to each of the ayes thanking them for their support.

Mike.

20. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Looks like a couple of the original NOs voted yes on the revised bill!

great work everyone.
    - Joe

21. OK, the next hearing is set for April 21st. I'm waiting for the official list of committee members that will be involved with it, no sense in sending letters to the wrong people. SEMA has put out a list, not sure if it's right.

The Appropriations Committee looks at how the bill would earn/save/cost the State money. Should be a no-brainer, there would be added revenue from the licence fees. Hopefully, they will see that as a plus.

I'll post more info here as soon as I get it.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

23. Here's the list of contacts for the next round of support letters. Same as before, your contacting in support of AB-1740. Must be received by April 16th. It's especially important to contact the ones in your voting district.
    You can also pledge support as a business, car club, or an organization by contacting the main committee office,
    Assembly Appropriations Committee
    phone 916-319-2081, fax 916-319-2181

California Assembly Appropriations Committee
    <o></o> Felipe Fuentes - Chair <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2039 <o></o>
    Email: [email protected]<o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2139<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Connie Conway - Vice Chair <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2034<o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2134<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Tom Ammiano <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2013 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2113<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Steven Bradford <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2051 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2151 <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Charles M. Calderon <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2058 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2158<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Joe Coto <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2023 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2123<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Mike Davis<o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2048 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2148<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Kevin de Leon<o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2045<o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2145<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Isadore Hall III <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2052 <o></o>
    Email: [email protected]<o></o><o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2152<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Diane L. Harkey <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2073 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2173<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Jeff Miller<o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2071 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2171 <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Jim Nielsen <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2002 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2102<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Chris Norby <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2072 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2172<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Nancy Skinner<o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2014 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2114<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Jose Solorio <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2069 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2169<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Tom Torlakson <o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2011 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/310=2111<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Alberto Torrico<o></o>
    Phone: 916/319-2020 <o></o>
    Fax: 916/319-2120<o></o>
    <o></o>

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  24. Two of our So Cal guys, Jim and Dennis, along with the help of Goodguys staff, were able to gather over 1000 signed letters today at Del Mar. They've printed up another 2000 for tomorrow. Way to go!

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Will they be there Sunday?

What do they look like/ Drive?

- Joe

26. Goodguys has a booth set up for them, and is making announcement over the PA. Should be easy to find. Tell 'em I said hi.

27. THIS IS REAL IMPORTANT!

We get another shot at adding to the list of supporters attached to the bill. These are read aloud when the bill is discussed in hearing, and packs a lot of weight. This list should be a mile long.

To be added to this list, fax a letter, with a letterhead, of your company, business, car club , or organization (not individuals) to the Appropriations Committee. You can list all of your members, helpful, but it's not absolutely necessary. Just write "we support AB-1740". Fax it to...

Assembly Appropriations Committee
    fax - 916-319-2181
    phone - 916-319-2081

They must be in by April 16th. PM me if you have questions/concerns, thanks.