Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT: New Bill That is ACTUALLY POSITIVE coming up VERY SOON!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 9, 2010.

1. The hearing isn't till the 22nd.

NEWSFLASH!!!
    Although today was the last day for organizations and businesses to pledge their support/opposition, individual support can still be sent and will be accepted till the 22nd. Don't let up yet, keep getting the word out. The committee members are freakin' out over the number of calls and e-mails they're receiving. We're definitely getting their attention.

2. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Hey HVSpeed Thanks for the update. I will continue to get the word out as well.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Cool, a little extension. Keep the contact coming!!!!

4. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I left a message for MY assembly dude-

Now it's your turn!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  5. Irish

Irish

Just saw this, I'm faxing a support letter to all of the committee members now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Kirk.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Let's finish this off with everyone's participation...

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Go team!

Thanks for doing you part guys and thanks for the bumps to the top. This is a very important piece of legislation.

8. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

This is just the start of things to come. Thanks to all that sent off your support letter, faxes etc. I'm sure there will be a huge call for support when this hits for the final vote.
    Stay tuned ........ And thanks again Kirk for the post

9. Thank you all for exercising restraint, and keeping the comments on the light side. This thread is just to provide information.

10. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

anyone know what happend today

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

HVSpeed or Butcher Boy can comment. They were there along with Goodguys' lawyer.

12. angry

angry
    from ventura ca

someone has to know something

13. It went better than I had expected. When we left, the vote was 6 to 1 in favor (the rest abstained), but they were waiting for two other members that weren't present to cast their votes. We needed 8. I got a phone call on the way home, one of them (Portantino, new member, wasn't on the call list) had cast a yes vote. We went to his office after the hearing and talked to his staff, I guess it worked. That left one (Solorio), don't know how he voted yet. As I understand it (cause I ain't no politician) if he votes yes, we're in. This is the first step of the process, but probably the biggest.

The students were protesting on the Capitol today in the middle of all this, made for an interest day. Thanks to you all for the support. I'll let you know more as soon as I do.

Thank you Lord for gettin' me through this.
    My butt is kicked, I'm going to bed.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  14. VonWegener

VonWegener

I just called Assemblyman Solorio's office and AB1740 failed because of his NO vote.
    It's fitting that he did not even attend the committee meeting.

15. Steve

Steve

fuck! I just saw this today. So because of his no vote that's it for the bill?

16. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

So that is it?? We just lose?

damn.

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

The bill may be reintroduced in a different form.

What if we write letters to Solorio asking him why he voted the way he did. I can't see why someone would be opposed to it. Nothing we hot rodders do has a negative affect on society. In fact, it's quite the opposite. We spend money with suppliers and shops when we build cars. We spend even more at gas stations, hotels, restaurants etc. when we go to shows.

18. VonWegener

VonWegener

Let's hope it gets reintroduced and he changes his mind

19. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

We will probably need Solorio's support and the support of others in the Assembly to make AB1740 a reality. It's a shame that he voted No without hearing what what was said at the hearing.

Please continue to contact your representatives and let them know that you are supporting the bill.

- Joe

20. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Don't forget to ask the other members who abstained from voting or voted no the question of WHY?. No need to pick on just one of these idiots.

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, that sucks. But let's not go all off the handle and get political extremist and get this shut down. The reality is there are in fact a lot of people in this state who are not at all sympathetic to hot rodders working on some old cars in their garages. Their voices are likely more and louder than ours and that is what is happening. It is not some conspiracy or kick backs. If we aren't at least realistic and honest about that to ourselves, then it isn't likely we will ever get our voices heard.

First question I have for myself is how many exemptions would we really need to satisfy our goals here in CA. Perhaps an unlimited exemption is a bit too much to ask and honestly probably is. Not that that many would ever used anyway. So, how many do you think we really have a demand for? 500 seems like a fair amount at first thought, but maybe 1000 or 2000 might be more realistic. I have no idea really. CA is a big state, but hard to imagine we need even 5,000 exemptions a year.

Keep in mind the exemption is only for non-commercial use only anyway as far as I understand it. So, that means shops doing it as a business don't really get the exemption anyway. I could be wrong on that. Anyone feel free to correct me if needed.

Second question I have is how many more "'65" Cobras does the world need? I vote for none. It isn't 1965 anymore and if you build a Cobra today is should honestly be called a 2010 Cobra recreation and stop the BS that something that it is not. If we keep it up with the '32's we soon have more they Ford ever built in reality. A bit of an exaggeration I know, but you get the point.

Personally, I am all for stopping the BS and all for helping guys enjoy the hobby honestly. You take a bunch of old parts and make a car from that, then I think it can still be called an old car. You take a bunch of new parts and make a car that looks old, and sorry, but that is still a new car. That might not be a popular opinion and I might get some shit for that, but that is what I think is being honest.

So, my thought is we need to figure out what is reasonably needed to enjoy our hobby and ask for a number that allows for that, but also doesn't just allow for the continued BS fakery and with an opened ended unlimited exemption that is probably just too hard for some to swallow. We need to keep on this, but be smart and intelligent about how we continue to pursue it.

22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I applaud you guys for the interest and work fighting for this legislation. Don't ever give up. Although it sometimes feels otherwise, we can still be governed by the people, for the people.

LONG LIVE HOT RODS! :D

23. Not necessarly over yet. The Assemblyman was granted a reconsideration, I think this means we'll get another shot at it.

What we'll work on now, is putting together a list of those you voted yes, so we can write and thank them. Stay tuned.

24. VonWegener

VonWegener

Is that Assemblyman Jeffries who introduced the bill or a reconsideration for Assemblyman Jose Solorio on his NO vote? Picture of Solorio below.

Attached Files:

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that some of you don't see the point of this proposed legislation change, and may be against it.

I hope that you all may see there is room out there for all of us, even those who want to build cars that would be affected by this.

Those cars are how they express their passion for this pass-time. They are not taking anything away from me, or anybody here.

They might not me my "thing" or my "style", but who am I to stand in the way of another persons happiness.

I would be hard-pressed to say that more lawfully registered, state approved, reasonably safe vehicles on the road, that make people happy, are a bad thing.

There are plenty of things in this world that you all may do that I don't like, and that is fine. I will STILL throw in my full weight and measure against anyone that tries to make you stop.

I have said it before, to the general public, we are "those car people". They see us as one monolithic block. To them the plastic '32 guy, the 2010 Cobra guy, and all of us, are all the same people.

We will make more, and more meaningful progress if we work together.

26. It was Jeffries that asked for, and received a reconsideration.

Guys/gals, please remember this is a public forum. I was amazed at how much the opposition knew about the car community. They are reading our stuff.

Much of the information the opposition presented was false. Hopefully, we can present some truths and turn this thing around. It ain't over yet, stay tuned.

27. VonWegener

VonWegener

I am glad they read our stuff. They need to know that I am upset.
    Can you elaborate on who the opposition is, how their facts were presented and what those facts were?
    And thank you Speed for going there.
    Mike

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I think as long as we stick together and present an open honest and intelligent side for our hobby, we still stand a great chance of others seeing that and supporting us. But, if we just continue to ask for the skies the limit exemption and then adjust to a bitter take it or leave it negative attitude, chance are we will continue to be put off to the side and probably never gain any support. We need to get smart about this, do some research and present a more solid and understand defense of our hobby. I think most people on both sides of the fence are just trying to honestly do what they think is the best balance for the state of CA as a whole. it is our job now to help show them the appreciation we have for this hobby as well as all the positive things it represents. As well educate them on the actual, relatively speaking extremely minimal negative impacts it has on the environment, communities, taxes, whatever the concern issues might be.

To be honest myself, I am not even sure what the specific opposition to this is whether it is legal title issues, DMV concerns, environmental, industry competition. As VonWegener above just mentioned, maybe the next thing to do is to get a real understanding of what others concerns are and try to address them so they can understand our concerns.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey guys, after talking to a few of the guys who were there yesterday i need to ask you to keep it clean and constructive on here because the opposition to this bill is reading what we are saying. If you can go back and edit out the name calling etc. it would help support the appearance of our "character".

I know I'm usually the guy joking around, but not when it could possibly damage my favorite hobby.